Voice commands - a list of

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

Voice is awful for me, and worse since the software update at my service. and I've got a pretty damn neutral accent that should be easy for the car to recognise. and what is this "Clear itinerary" nonsense to stop the sat nav?!! I've been trying to figure out how to cancel that since I got the car - I mean who says that? "Cancel route guidance" was a pain in my old XC60, but at least it worked! "Call Mum" now seems to get me a list of people with names beginning with V.... sure..... why not.

That, coupled with the awful touch screen interface that you have to take your eyes off the road to do anything on. It's just a rubbish car to interface with on the move.

Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

I agree, Clear Itinerary isn't common language for native english speakers!

From our experience the voice command system is accent dependant - for instance I have never encountered an issue with it, it changes to BBC Radio 4 without issue. What I do find annoying is that it defaults to the FM radio station and after 2 years I haven't managed to remember to say "BBC Radio 4 Digital" first time around. I have a Yorkshire accent so clearly the swedes know which counties to prioritise :-), but with my wife's North East accent it usually brings up set destination or something else totally unrelated. My Colleagues XC60 (he is Scottish) Just doesn't understand anything he says.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

If I ask for a song to be played from my USB stick, the system will then continuously play that song rather than going back to where it left off when the song finishes. I cannot find a command to restart play from the full track listing. I have to keep on asking for another song or physically take out the USB stick and reinsert it to restart play. Is there an easier way to reset it?

Update: ok sussed it eventually. I think if you use the voice command to select a specific song, group, album or genre of music those selections will play repeatedly. There does not appear to be a voice command to cancel this so you have to physically select the USB library and then the 'songs' tab then the first song in the list. That restarts the media player and allows the full library to be played. It may be that you can restart later in the list but I did not try that.
Last edited by Skyrimmer on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

AnotherXC40 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:04 am My Colleagues XC60 (he is Scottish) Just doesn't understand anything he says.
I'm Scottish and I can occasionally get it to work, but I get so frustrated I generally revert to just using the screen - not ideal.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Here's one for all you Scots (I'm one) that are having problems with voice recognition...

Caution: a few sweary words, nothing dreadful
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

gt40 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:29 pm Here's one for all you Scots (I'm one) that are having problems with voice recognition...

Caution: a few sweary words, nothing dreadful
Old one, but a good one :)
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

It's a shame we can't activate the 360 degree camera by voice.
James Blonde

Post by James Blonde »

Yeh, maybe I should have said I've a fairly neutral Scottish accent with the edges rounded off by living down south for a long time.... :)
Joblj

Post by Joblj »

Anyone found a Voice Command..or even a screen/knob command ..that will shuffle or random play music on my iPod?
Ordered R-Design Petrol Manual, in Thunder Grey. Only extra is front park assist. Was Due March 2020 (gulp!) - but I collected today 29 Dec 2019
White

Post by White »

Great idea, thanks. I'm surprised how well voice commands recognise my strong local accent most of the time. If not speaking "proper" usually does the trick!
Volvo XC40, T4, R-Design Pro, AWD, Automatic, Thunder Cloud Grey