Rain sensing wipers

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

The rain sensing wipers were fine on the car for a while but of late they have started going faster and faster even though it is hardly raining. I've now gone back to manually controlling them..how quaint. The car is due to go in for its 3 months check shortly so will get it looked at....but anyone else had anything similar?
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019

Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Have you accidentally adjusted them, you can alter their sensitivity
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

HI Wedgie

I've tried adjusting them on the stalk and it seems to make little difference when they decide to go manic. They start off ok but after a short while they get faster and faster even if the rain has stopped
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Blastpipe wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:44 pm HI Wedgie

I've tried adjusting them on the stalk and it seems to make little difference when they decide to go manic. They start off ok but after a short while they get faster and faster even if the rain has stopped
Wonder if it's a recent software thing as I got mine back from the dealer on Monday, and yesterday I thought the same thing - seemed to get VERY fast then just stick there. Turn off then on- go back to sensible
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
alanlaughton

Post by alanlaughton »

They can go fast if there is light drizzle - my Boxster did the same - presumably it counts particles rather than their size! Big blobs of rain falling slowly doesn't make them wipe often but a bit of drizzle and they go into warp drive :)
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

The rain sensor works by refraction of light through the glass. It also can be fooled by a dirty windshield where the sensor is located behind the rear view mirror.