Pre-Conditioning & the mystery of the Parking Heater

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Thought I might start this one by asking a question.

Have forum members thought (assumed?) that "Pre-conditioning" works on the XC40, somehow in connection with a thing called a Parking Heater?

Put another way, that you can use the Volvo On Call (VOC) App on your Phone to e.g. warm up the car on a cold morning, or ventilate on a warm day? That is without using another feature of the VOC app, which is called Remote Start? I ask because that is what I have always assumed.

I mentioned last night in a post on another thread that I couldn't get pre-conditioning to work. I can get Remote Start to work. I am now getting indications from my dealer, to be confirmed or not, that the XC40 (FE or other) may not come fitted with a Parking Heater. It may be an option, which as yet is unannounced and unavailable. The message is that you can probably only pre-heat the car by using Remote Start and therefore need to have the engine running on the drive in order to warm it up.

I may have assumed the wrong thing, but the fact that the App (in the version I have for an XC40) and the Central Console both refer to Parking Climate and Parking Heater features which apparently may not exist on the car, is at best confusing.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

Andy S

Post by Andy S »

Have to admit that I thought that it was similar to what I had on my F Pace, in that I could use remote start to get engine running, and then set temperature/climate controls as conditions dictate.
T5: Crystal White: 1st Edition: 20" Wheels: Lava Orange: Rubber Mats: Tow-bar: Proud owner since early April :D
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

My understanding was that the parking heater isn’t offered in the UK, it’s generally reserved for countries with a colder climate than ours.

Remote Start should still be available, but I believe its purpose is to achieve a ‘comfortable’ temperature in the cabin, i.e. I don’t believe the app offers the ability to set a desired temperature.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Also, the Parking Climate function is, I believe, designed to activated from inside the car with you still sat inside it; believe it’s designed to retain a comfortable temperature if you’re sat waiting for someone, or if you’re leaving the car for a short time and want it to still be warm/cool when you return.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Had it confirmed by my dealer this morning. No parking heater in an XC40. So preconditioning doesn’t work and both the App and the Central Console are misleading.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Presumably as Remote Start does work, you can still start the car using the app, which will cause the climate/defroster to come on?

So the piece you can't do is schedule a timer, is that right?
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

That’s a huge let down! It’s one of the things I was really looking forward to. The demo on the app shows it well and also my dealer told me this is will be a thing.
XC40 FE - White 20” Wheels With headlight washers - Ordered 4th February 2018 & Delivered 10th April 2018
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

AlexK wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am Presumably as Remote Start does work, you can still start the car using the app, which will cause the climate/defroster to come on?

Remote start works but I haven’t checked out what happens to the heating/cooling when you use it. I think temperatures are totally out of the user’s control and presumably it warms or cools depending on prevailing outside conditions and cabin temperature.

Timers do not work.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pjm007 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 pm
AlexK wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am Presumably as Remote Start does work, you can still start the car using the app, which will cause the climate/defroster to come on?

Remote start works but I haven’t checked out what happens to the heating/cooling when you use it. I think temperatures are totally out of the user’s control and presumably it warms or cools depending on prevailing outside conditions and cabin temperature.

Timers do not work.
I am totally and utterly confused by all of this now. [Well not quite as I get the parking heater bit and that not being available in the UK]

pjm007, would you mind sharing what "Remote start" actually does in your XC40? Does it start the engine or something else?

I was under the impression that it was illegal to start/have running an unsupervised vehicle and so wasn't expecting an (remote) engine start to be available through Volvo on call (aka this is disabled in the UK). Remote by definition failing the "supervised car" test. Instead our UK "Remote start" would merely be an battery run background "heating" limited to 15 mins.

TIA
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
wakey

Post by wakey »

I’ve emailed my dealer for a definitive answer and expecting a reply in the morning. One of the BIG plus points when I ordered was preheating and cooling, if it’s not available I won’t be a happy chappy.

On the launch night I got the impression that the vehicle will preheat or precool whilst unattended and is controlled from the OnCall app. They also said it would run for a maximum of 15mins
Black (inside and out) XC40 First Edition D4, 20” Wheels and a dog grille :D Collection Saturday 7th April (ordered 6th January).