Apple Car Play retrofit

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
razashah5

Post by razashah5 »

Hi,
Has anyone retrofitted Apple Car Play into their car? The Inscription Pro I recently bought didn't come with this as standard, but I'd like to get it hooked into the car.
The navigation system is great, but I'm so used to Google Maps now.

If so, any idea on price?

Thanks!
T4 Inscription Pro - Crystal White - Xenium Pack - Intellisafe Pro

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I haven't had it fitted but, I can confirm it can be dealer-fitted as it's listed as an accessory.

My dealer offered to do it for the same as factory-fit price (£300) - others have been quoted more I believe. It's a case of sounding out your own dealer.

Before spending the money, you may want to consider that the embedded Android HMI (Android Automotive) MAY become available as an upgrade in the near future.

This would provide a much better implementation of Google Maps though the news is scant at the moment & it maybe that the current chip isn't powerful enough??
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

I had "Smartphone Integration (includes Apple CarPlayTM and Android AutoTM) with 2 x USB Hub" retro fitted by the dealer at delivery on my Momentum Pro T4. Cost about £300... no issues, but I have hardly used it.
razashah5

Post by razashah5 »

Does anyone know when using Apple Car Play if Google Maps is shown on both the main screen as well as the driver's dash display?
Gre

Post by Gre »

Nope google maps will be only Be shown on the bottom half of the main screen.
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.
razashah5

Post by razashah5 »

Gre wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 pm Nope google maps will be only Be shown on the bottom half of the main screen.
Thanks for confirming. I'm just not happy enough with Volvo's maps. Their ability to display heavy traffic on your route seems a bit hit and miss - sometimes it shows me the red lines for heavy traffic, sometimes it doesn't.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Just revisiting this post as I have discovered that Android Automotive in Volvos will be powered by the Intel Atom Automotive chip - looks like all hopes of upgrades are lost.

I originally said that the Sensus Navigation would have to be dire to give up the full/dual screen benefit - I have, regretably, come to the conclusion it is :lol:

Will be handing over £300 to dealer in due course.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Gre

Post by Gre »

razashah5 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:21 pm
Gre wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 pm Nope google maps will be only Be shown on the bottom half of the main screen.
Thanks for confirming. I'm just not happy enough with Volvo's maps. Their ability to display heavy traffic on your route seems a bit hit and miss - sometimes it shows me the red lines for heavy traffic, sometimes it doesn't.
Well at least live traffic is available in the UK. Greece unfortunately not. I tend to use my phone as well for google maps if I’m in a rush to be somewhere.
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.