MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
johnd

Post by johnd »

Michaelxc40 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:00 am My dealer when I was looking to purchase my XC40 advised me if I did less than 15k / year...
This notion does seem to crop up quite a lot - not sure where it comes from. There may be economic reasons for not choosing diesels if you only do average miles/year (though you may well still prefer the high-torque driving characteristics of the diesel engine) but not technical ones. But otherwise I'm not quite sure why the annual mileage is considered relevant.

The key is the short journeys point: Diesels are to be avoided if your average journey is eg 2-5 miles with no regular and substantially longer trips to even things out. Whatever your annual mileage might be, you should on average be taking at least one decent journey every week on a modern diesel of eg 25-30 miles or more and travelling at a reasonable speed to allow the engine to get properly up to temperature and then to stay there for eg 20-30 minutes.

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Sensible reply johnd. I get fed up with all this talk of PDF problems. I have had PDFs on Audi and VWs for years and only on the first some 10 years ago did I have a problem. I regularly do short journeys of 1-3 miles for a couple of weeks at a time without problem although I do long runs 250-400 miles every few weeks. having said this Jaguar Landrover have had a problem with their diesel but its only them and we wouldn't buy a JLR diesel would we!
I think the dealer who advised above was trying to sell petrol versions which they can't shift as mpg is so poor. My dealer said not to touch a petrol T4 or T5 because of mpg unless you do under 8k. He said diesels outselling petrol's by a mile for this reason.
Now I would like an electric but only when they have 400 mile plus range or a hybrid if it ever gets released with AWD.
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

I've done 1700 miles in my T5 AWD and it's hovering around 28mpg (30mph average). I usually spend 2 mikes going slowly through town then get the motorway for 30 miles or so and then couple miles the other end. I do this a few days a week.
I am hoping I start to see some improvements soon and am wondering about the polestar upgrade now... my old re-mapped diesel 325D cabriolet was doing about 38mpg and that was a hard top heavy car with a lot more speed than this one. I am hoping it gets to over 30mpg with a few more miles under the bonnet really..
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

johnd wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:39 pm
Michaelxc40 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:00 am My dealer when I was looking to purchase my XC40 advised me if I did less than 15k / year...
This notion does seem to crop up quite a lot - not sure where it comes from. There may be economic reasons for not choosing diesels if you only do average miles/year (though you may well still prefer the high-torque driving characteristics of the diesel engine) but not technical ones. But otherwise I'm not quite sure why the annual mileage is considered relevant.

The key is the short journeys point: Diesels are to be avoided if your average journey is eg 2-5 miles with no regular and substantially longer trips to even things out. Whatever your annual mileage might be, you should on average be taking at least one decent journey every week on a modern diesel of eg 25-30 miles or more and travelling at a reasonable speed to allow the engine to get properly up to temperature and then to stay there for eg 20-30 minutes.
Exactly right. When I bought the Yeti 4 years ago I was only doing 8k. a year and so from the financial point of view a diesel wasn't the best choice. I'd had a number of VW Group cars over the years with diesels and liked the way they drove. Despite the low annual mileage I was commuting 40 miles a day , 3 days a week on fast roads, so it wouldn't be a problem for the DPF, and so decided as it would probably be my last diesel to go for one. Also the Yeti in the spec I wanted was only available in a 1.2 petrol so that was discounted.

The Yeti did many regenerations, as designed to do, is lovely to drive and easily does an average of 50 mpg. I was planning on keeping it a little longer and giving it a good blast every week or so now that I've retired but started looking around at petrols and have now ordered an XC40.

The annual mileage for a diesel is nonsense as far as the DPF is concerned, the DPF is not being blocked with soot if the engine's not running! it is the short journeys that are the killer.

Yes, the annual mileage is important from the purchase cost point of view, but that is your decision and may be influenced by if you tow a caravan etc.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Db55

Post by Db55 »

Well DB2K I’ve done about 5500 miles since last September, this has mainly been short journeys (10 miles) at a time with a couple of 200+ miles. This has been in comfort mode with eco used occasionally, don’t really see much difference between them!. My current average is 29.6 mpg which I consider to be acceptable for the power you have available. You also don’t have to worry about DPF problems on all of the short journeys.
So I think you’re 30+ target will be achievable when your car engine (loosens)up. I also think the weather temperature has an effect as it’s gone up from the winter average by about 1.5 mpg.Personally I just enjoy driving the car and try not to worry too much about visits to the petrol station👍.
T5 FE, osmium grey
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Just recorded my best ever mpg for a single journey in my D4. 200 mile trip from Alnwick to Nottingham via A1, M18 and M1. Pretty much 70mph continuous from start to finish. Car reports 48mpg for the trip, previous best being a tad over 40. Happy with that.
Trip was in Economy mode.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

Db55 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:06 am Well DB2K I’ve done about 5500 miles since last September, this has mainly been short journeys (10 miles) at a time with a couple of 200+ miles. This has been in comfort mode with eco used occasionally, don’t really see much difference between them!. My current average is 29.6 mpg which I consider to be acceptable for the power you have available. You also don’t have to worry about DPF problems on all of the short journeys.
So I think you’re 30+ target will be achievable when your car engine (loosens)up. I also think the weather temperature has an effect as it’s gone up from the winter average by about 1.5 mpg.Personally I just enjoy driving the car and try not to worry too much about visits to the petrol station👍.
That’s really helpful and useful. Thank you for letting me know!
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
Burmey

Post by Burmey »

Just did a trip of 118 miles mostly motorway in my d4 and managed to achieve 47 mpg in eco mode (except with high steering force and no eco mode for air con) . Pleased with that.
Question for you experts- will a 15 mile journey once a week or 30 mile journey once a fortnight be enough to stop the dpf filter clogging ?
Last edited by Burmey on Mon May 20, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V40, XC90, XC60, and now First Edition 2nd owner since November 2018 XC40 Red.
lnorange

Post by lnorange »

New 2019 XC40 D4 R Design, 200 miles on the clock and averaging 40.3 mixed mileage on country lanes and motorway at 65 to 70 and some traffic.

Time will tell!
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

over 2k miles now and up to 28.5mpg T5
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD