Brake groan

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

I have the same issue. Worse with auto hold on but still there without it. No sign of improvement but my car has done only 70 miles (D4 auto awd). My Q3 did the same, particularly when I applied the brakes only partly to reduce speed reversing down my steep drive. My wife's Vauxhall does it when parked on a slope as the cable handbrake is not the best and never has been from new. It doesn't actually slip but we still use a brick behind the road wheel in case!

Might this groaning therefore be to do with the brakes coming on partly, maybe due to hill hold kicking in temporarily, but then switching off as the accelerator moves the car?

James
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel

gtest

Post by gtest »

johnbluerio wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 pm Hi Andygou
I wonder if the date of production and batch of pads and discs has anything to do with it. Our 40s are of similar age and model spec. Mines still the same in the wet or in the dry, backwards or forwards, gentle release of the brake on a slope brake assist off, in or out of drive mode the resulting groan is the same. I'm nearly convinced its the pad material / spec that's the problem. Its not newness wearing off as we have done 5K + miles.
Visiting our dealer later this week to collect a smaller euro size front number plate bracket for private plate so will try and discuss with someone in technical / service there. Will let you know how I get on.
Hey John,
What did the dealer Tell you about your 'groan' ?
Has it been sorted?
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
abby606

Post by abby606 »

For what it's worth my V40 did this, I think it's just a Volvo thing, along with squeaky brakes! I've had 6 Volvo courtesy cars and all but one had squeaky brakes. The only ones that didn't have the brake groan were manual ones.
Lazwarriot

Post by Lazwarriot »

I have the same issue here with my XC40 T5 Inscription 2019 (~400 miles). I have experienced the same noise in other volvos (xc40 and xc60). I feel it every time I break at slow speed (forward and backwards). I have to deactivate autohold every time I am trying to get in or out of my parking spot because the noise gets worse. It is good to know that there are many people out there with the same issue. I was worried thinking it could be something of my car, but apparently volvo has that ''problem''. Nevertheless it doesn´t seem to affect the security of the car and I am really enjoying all the other features this amazing vehicle has. I Love it. If anybody finds out how to reduce the noise please let us know.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

15,000 miles on and the brake groan has gone ! hoping this is the case for all of you suffering it currently.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

For what it's worth, my Mercedes (C Class) does the same thing, though not all the time. Perhaps it's a trait (albeit annoying) of cars with auto-hold.
gtest

Post by gtest »

I have about 12000km now and the brake groan is still terrible at very low speeds. Does Anybody has solved this problem?
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I have the brake groan and to be honest haven't seen it as a defect as such but just a characteristic resulting from slow speed manoevering/pulling away and slight pressure on the brake disc causing resonance. I find it worse when not using autohold and using the tickover with my foot on the brake to control the slow speed. When using autohold I'm not using the brake and it only holds for an instant when I accelerate away so not much time for it to groan.

I've had it on manuals where rolling at slow speed on a slope and using the brake, hence why I don't see it as a problem in my case, just resonance. No problems under normal braking.

If it does stop though I won't be complaining!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I totally agree with the above comment. My previous car was a 13 year old Subaru Legacy manual which I’d had from new. At over 90k miles I still got brake groan whilst edging very slowly down a sloping driveway from a relatives house to join the road at an almost blind exit.
My current car with 17k only exhibits brake groan occasionally on slopes and when pulling away slowly.
Resonance from partially released brake pads is probably the cause.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
gtest

Post by gtest »

Been to the dealer.
Volvo replaced all the brake pads front and rear, with an other sort.
They say there are 2 sorts: the standard pads and the comfort pads....
Result : all break-groans are GONE !!!!!
Superrr.
Last edited by gtest on Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)