Mysterious knocking/rattle

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
abby606

Post by abby606 »

I've noticed a knocking/rattling type sound at low speed (less than 10mph). I can't tell where it is coming from, I think from the rear and perhaps underneath but it's really hard to tell. Maybe I can only hear it at low speed or it only occurs at low speed.

I've tried taking everything removable out (first aid kit, cargo net etc) but no joy.

Just wanted to check if anyone has had similar before I bring it back to the dealer for the 3 month check and get them to look it over.

Gre

Post by Gre »

Maybe I have the same problem but a deep knocking sound coming from the back as soon as I press the brakes at very low speed. As if something was rolling in the boot. But obviously I have nothing there. I have taken my car for the first service and my dealer said there is nothing wrong. The sound doesn’t bother me but I’m curious from where the sound is coming from. Obviously this is not normal and hope there is an explanation for that.
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.
abby606

Post by abby606 »

Gre wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 pm Maybe I have the same problem but a deep knocking sound coming from the back as soon as I press the brakes at very low speed. As if something was rolling in the boot. But obviously I have nothing there. I have taken my car for the first service and my dealer said there is nothing wrong. The sound doesn’t bother me but I’m curious from where the sound is coming from. Obviously this is not normal and hope there is an explanation for that.
Me too, I don't listen to music/radio all that often in the car so I hear everything and it will play on my mind!
redsten10

Post by redsten10 »

I have a knocking groaning noise which gets worse as yhe car warms up .the dealer identified the springs and mounts on the front suspension and has ordered new ones from Sweden. I have had issues with tht intellisafe system activating without any reason .turning the sensitivity down hasn't slolved the problem. Car is T4 momentum geartronic AWD with 1000 miles on clock.
Ratbag

Post by Ratbag »

When I first noticed a knocking sound the technicians noticed a lot of stones and ice under the rear of the car. When they were removed the sound disappeared for a short while. The sound seems to come and go. Just when I was going to take the car in to get checked again, the sound disappeared. About a week later the sound has come back again. Seems worse when I’m going round a corner (most often to the left) as though something is either rolling or swinging, and just before the car goes over a speed hump. Most often it occurs at low speed. Has anyone had the sound checked out? When I took it up with the technician he said he hadn’t found any documentation of the problem.
Sventek

Post by Sventek »

I have the same thing, and managed to find it. It was the rear seat latch.
SquirrelGT

Post by SquirrelGT »

We have the same issue, sounds like suspension as i'm able to replicate by gentle rocking.

It's going in next week to be investigated. Still very happy with the car, just a minor issue imo.
T4 R-Design Pro | Osmium Grey | Ordered 13th Oct | Scheduled Delivery 18th Feb
SquirrelGT

Post by SquirrelGT »

Well it turns out I was wrong. Dealer has ordered a new drive shaft from Sweden.
SquirrelGT

Post by SquirrelGT »

The car is back, but after changing the right right drive shaft, we still have the same issue. How it gets through QT is beyond me. We spotted the issue instantly when the car was delivered back to us.

We now have to make a 25 mile trip back to show them the problem. Starting to become very disgruntled.
SquirrelGT

Post by SquirrelGT »

Has anyone had this issue resolved?