Apple CarPlay

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Paul 44

Post by Paul 44 »

Just about to order new Xc40 R design. Disappointing that the apple CarPlay is an extra. Would you recommend paying the extra £300? Not had it before, I have a smartphone so was thinking that would do everything I need through Bluetooth. Any thoughts?
XC40 T3 R design Thunder grey, sunroof, winter pack, front park assist, Apple CarPlay

senwar

Post by senwar »

If you don’t have sat nav in built it is a worthwhile addition for that alone. If you do have it then other than convenience of using the touchscreen it’s a lot to pay out. It is disappointing that you don’t get full screen view though. I have in built nav but CarPlay was included in my FE. I do find myself sometimes using google maps over the in built nav.

I previously paid for CarPlay on my last car and thought it was rubbish. However on the XC40 it works a lot better. I do have to use my phone occasionally as commands just won’t work on CarPlay (primarily mixcloud). You also lose Bluetooth connectivity when plugged in so you can’t say have 2 phones connected. This is useful when having a work phone too.

Personally I do like it though. Convenience more than anything.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Smart phone integration can be added afterwards as a dealer fit accessories. You can decide later and it also helps to reduce factory fit costs thus the extra road tax. The same applies to the spare wheel.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I have done as Goldfish has suggested & left myself with a dealer fit option if I find myself frustrated by the inbuilt nav.

In my case it would be to use Android Auto rather than Carplay. For me, Google Maps & Assistant are virtually infallible but, the Volvo nav would have to be absolutely dire to forego the full/both screen benefit.

Also there may exist the possibility of the full Google HMI becoming available as an upgrade.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Still waiting for my XC40 but I have it in my Tiguan and never use it now. I find it too much bother and for some reason phone calls are less clear and muffled via Car Play than straight blue tooth. This may be a Tiguan thing if it works better in an XC40 but not something I would pay for (it was included in Tiguan). I am surprised how keen reviewers are on it. I can see advantage of Google maps especially if you do not have sat nav. Mind you I am not a great music fan in car and really only play pod casts and radio.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

We also have CarPlay on our current Tiguan, only really used it for maps when in Europe via Google as the VW nav in France chose some odd routes.
Haven’t bothered with it for the XC40.
Paul 44

Post by Paul 44 »

Thank you all for the info. Think I’ll leave it off and add on later if I need to. Apple Music plays ok through the Bluetooth connection I presume?
XC40 T3 R design Thunder grey, sunroof, winter pack, front park assist, Apple CarPlay
Bigads166

Post by Bigads166 »

It’s one of the first option I checked on my order.
I am a massive ‘tech’ person and 1 of the stipulations on my new car was Apple CarPlay.
I have had the car a few dots now and have been using CarPlay for music streaming, sending and receiving messages, starting Sat Nav and it has been flawless. On the first call I made via it to my brother he commented on how clear the call was compared to my previous car.
No-one can tell you what to get or not but I am impressed.
As a side note, check cost on dealer fit as I am sure I read on here that retro fit is £900 compared to the £300 factory order price.
senwar

Post by senwar »

Bigads166 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:48 pm It’s one of the first option I checked on my order.
I am a massive ‘tech’ person and 1 of the stipulations on my new car was Apple CarPlay.
I have had the car a few dots now and have been using CarPlay for music streaming, sending and receiving messages, starting Sat Nav and it has been flawless. On the first call I made via it to my brother he commented on how clear the call was compared to my previous car.
No-one can tell you what to get or not but I am impressed.
As a side note, check cost on dealer fit as I am sure I read on here that retro fit is £900 compared to the £300 factory order price.
That can't be possible??

You're basically only paying for a software licence? I think on factory orders you may get an extra USB port though?

I use messaging quite a bit too - another thing that works significantly better in my XC40 than the VAG version I had
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Bigads166

Post by Bigads166 »

I am only going on what I have read on here I am sure. I am happy to be wrong but definitely worth investigating fully before making an order.