Windscreen chips

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Anyone else experienced windscreen damage, picked car up last week and Have sustained large chip to the windscreen and rear passenger window today. Awaiting Autoglass to confirm if windscreen can be fixed or if replacement necessary also have to get replacement rear passenger window. Seems autoglass have repaired or replaced more than 25 windscreens in past few months. Seems quite high ... any one else had windscreen experiences
T5 FE Bursting Blue 19” Wheels plus Towbar

kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

7000 miles in and no chips so far . . *off to find a piece of wood to touch :)
I had a golf a few years ago and it seemed to be pretty succeptable to stone chips - but then I did 35k miles a year then.

Not sure who you're insured with, but you may end up having to pay for autoglass to recalibrate the lane detection etc - happened on my Focus last year and I ended up £350 out of pocket (100 excess and 250 recalibration) as the insurer doesn't cover additional safety calibration.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Paid excess of 50.00 Autoglass are sourcing Volvo Glass not their own brand. Yes calibration required but Autoglass cannot do it, not yet trained by Volvo. so hoping to strike a deal with our dealer who are fantastic stillhave tow bar and few other things to fit for us so fingers crossed they can calibrate at same time
Ish1234

Post by Ish1234 »

Hi there! I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. A big crack in my windscreen. Called autoglass initally as insurance company suggested and they said the same thing. They can repair the windscreen but it won't be the original and they won't be able to do the calibration. Which meant i would be out of pocket. Insurance company allowed me to get it all done via the dealership. £75 excess. So not too bad. Hope it goes ok for you!
XC40 FE T5 Bursting blue/charcoal/20”
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Glad to hear you should get it done for reasonable cost then.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Funnily enough, I got one on my week old XC40, with about 300 miles on the clock. Phoned my insurance company this morning around 11, they transferred me to Autoglass, he arrived at 2.10 and was gone 30 minutes later. £10 excess paid, and very happy with the job. Wonder why they seem to attract the stones??
senwar

Post by senwar »

Yep, had one myself about 2 weeks in. Was worried (and still am a bit) about how it will work come winter and the heating elements kick in but will cross that bridge when it comes. Same as above, £10 excess paid. Slightly visible but no problem
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Autoglass now due Wednesday with new Volvo supplies Windscreen in case they can’t repair. Dealer has agreed to recalibrate FoC. Hopefully all sorted on Wednesday
Bonnieballoo

Post by Bonnieballoo »

Anyone else had mysterious crack on windscreen? Appeared whilst I was backing out of drive. I heard it go. Auto glass coming out as dealer says not a fault.
Seems to be coming from UNDER the rain sensor / mirror mounting. No chips.
Costing 75 excess then 100+ to recalibrate
Masergs

Post by Masergs »

Windscreen was cracked this morning when i got to the car, Wasn't there yesterday and no chip to the windscreen, the crack was about half way down the screen starting from the A pillar and spreading horizontally across the screen