What do you think of the new Q3?

The place to discuss everything else..
Basel

Post by Basel »

The Q3 was one of the models I test drove extensively before opting for the XC40, having eliminated the X2. I actually quite like the shape, and its definitely a sportier drive with better steering weighting (my biggest gripe about my car :roll: ). However the power output of the 45 TFSI was not as smooth or urgent as that on my T5 (will be fixed with an SQ3) and it felt noisier and less refined on the road. As I have a long distance commute, that is a deal breaker as well as the fact that the seats were not as comfortable.

In its favour is the excellent and *configurable* pilot display and overall the two screens are pretty impressive to look at with Google satellite view. I also like the fact that all the tech was completely up to date, unlike the ageing Merc GLA and GLC. It was very close in the end, with full options the Q3 was a little more expensive (the options are ridiculous e.g. two sizes of dash cluster, Drive Select etc..) but it just didn't feel as individual or stylish as the XC40.
XC40 Onyx Black T5 Inscription - 21" Polestar and 4C

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Similar story here as regards VW Group cars. I was looking at a Skoda Karoq to replace my Yeti but was put off with the issues around the 1.5 petrol engine. Having had a string of VW Group cars (still have an Audi) I looked at 2.0 petrols in the Karoq and Tiguan but could only have AWD and/panoramic roof, which I didn't want so I started looking elsewhere and hence the XC40.

Having parked near a Karoq and a Tiguan recently I can only say thank you VW Group! As well as being better and more modern looking the XC40 is a dream to drive, so pleased with it.

As regards the Q3 I've thought for quite a while that Audi have lost the plot with increasingly larger grilles which are completely out of proportion and crowd out the headlights. I also don't like the fog light surrounds which are similar I think on the T-Roc.

The front of the XC40 is boxy but overall a much more pleasing design with small grille, relatively speaking, and much better treatment of the fog lights.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

We were really disappointed with the Q3 when we test drove it, also as we have kids it has no rear passenger ventilation!

So many options that should be standard equipment with the Q3, it’s more for people who must have an Audi badge.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi everyone

New to the forum, just ordered Xc40, t3 R design, fusion red, delivery mid March 21( I hope) been looking on the forum for a few weeks some good info and suggestions when people have problems, thanks,

On the question of the new Q3 I did look at this car, it is a nice car especially now that the digital cockpit is now standard on all but the base spec. I didn’t go for the Q3 because it doesn’t really look like an suv more like a jacked up hatchback and it is VAG group car and I fancied a change, I have had 2 Tiguans and my current Ateca.

Further into the topic on page 2 people start talking about the 1.5 engine and I would like to give my perspective on this , it was a big problem in 2019 with cold start up and jerking when you first drive off, though this was never a major issue on the Audi form. Before having a software update in July 2019 I used t wait for a short time till the revs dropped on cold starting, this worked fine. When the car had the update the dealer intimated that insufficient fuel was being delivered on cold startup.

Anyway I have found the engine to be good and powerful if a little noisey.

When I was researching a new car and finally settled on the xc40 I was concerned about the power of the T3 engine especially after reading some reviews where people were describing the engine as sluggish but I formed an opinion in my mind that some of these people expect T4 performance from a T3. Thought about this some more and decided that I couldn’t afford the extra 2k for the T4 and further more i didn’t need it . My current car is supposed to do 0-60 in 8.5 seconds but i have rarely taken it above 4000 revs, plus I’m in my sixties and more interested in style and a bit of individuality.

Finally I did a test drive of the t3, I picked a dealer that had some open roads around it and was able to test the vehicle on dual carriageways and A roads, the power from the car seemed fine and the engine was quieter than my current car so I took the plunge and secured a good deal through carwow

Apologies if my first post is a bit of a ramble, thanks for reading
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
mr.vladis

Post by mr.vladis »

Hey. Welcome.
I actually did the same. I wasn't sure how T3 will behave if I need to speedup to overtake or in emergency.
Was really impressed with the dynamics on Dual Carriageway, so decided to settle.

The only thing I've noticed is a bit of slowness when you drop acceleration and then try to speedup again. Mainly when approaching roundabouts.
Littletaffia

Post by Littletaffia »

I like the look of the new Q3. Having had the previous version I liked that car. Powerful 187 bhp diesel Quattro made it a good car to drive for it's size and grip was exceptional. DSG gearbox is far more versatile than the auto on the Volvo. When looking for a new car the Q3 with the same specs as the Volvo was just too much of a gap and we didn't want a diesel again as we no longer do the long journeys. My wife thinks the Volvo is a lot better inside than the Q3. It's unfair to compare them engine wise as for performance as the petrol Volvo lacks the torque of the diesel Audi. It's not until you put your foot down hard that the B4 starts to become harsh but it's certainly quick enough.

Both cars have their strengths and weakness and I think I made the right decision with the Volvo. Just hope my experience with the Volvo dealer is better than it was a decade ago when I last bought a new car from them.
B4 Inscription Pro Auto. Pebble Grey.
Tonyd259

Post by Tonyd259 »

Agreed, pick up my new XC40 tomorrow, we had a very close look at the Q3 as we already have an A3, but overall preferred the Volvo.
we hope we made the right decision.