B5 fuel consumption

The place to discuss everything else..
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Is it a safety feature? If so why are Polestar not fitting it to all their vehicles?
As with any vehicle modification one would advise the insurance company in advance.
I think if we want to reduce RTC's then it would make sense to also increase the legal age for getting a licence and perhaps cap the driving age to say 70.
We could also save around 80,000 lives per annum by banning all tobacco products.
Last edited by JFDIT on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@hotfrog - if ya involved in an accident, especially if serious injuries or fatalities are involved - in this case vehicles are checked for modifications.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Volvo have been pioneers in making cars safer. However, I honestly believe that many people who drive modern cars have the view that their little tin box littered with "Safety Features" makes them invincible on the road.
It's not what you've got it's how you use it that makes the difference. Education.
Consider this improbable scenario; would you drive more carefully if
a. You believe your car will protect you and everyone around you with its electronic wizardry
Or
b. There was a 12" spike where the steering wheel airbag would be?
Last edited by JFDIT on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lincolnshire England.
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

Oldie wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:40 am @hotfrog - if ya involved in an accident, especially if serious injuries or fatalities are involved - in this case vehicles are checked for modifications.
Exactly and they also ask the question at every renewal.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Not deemed accidents today as most have at fault so they are deemed RTC's.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Some interesting comments

Volvo have stated that they want a world where nobody dies in an accident involving a Volvo. It's a bold commitment and they do admit that in many accidents, the cause is outside of the control of the Volvo driver or vehicle but it's still a good start. Full link here https://group.volvocars.com/company/safety-vision

They believe that there is no reason for a passenger car to exceed 180kph regardless of what the speed limit is and have thus introduced this limit by default. As others have said, if you disagree then you don't buy their cars but that is their decision and they will stick by it.

BUT

If you're a police force buying a police car, your Volvo won't have such a limit on it. There is a good reason for this.

Likewise the argument about Autobahns is silly. Nobody ever said that driving at 150mph on an Autobahn was safe. Legal yes but safe? Sure you can argue standards in Germany are higher but the fact remains, if you have an accident at 150mph rather than at 112mph, the outcome is likely to be worse and your time to react is less etc etc etc thus Volvo still stand by their view of 180kph. Likewise you can argue that it is dangerous for a police officer to drive at 150mph and it genuinely is. Even with all the training and experience, in such a scenario, constant risk assessments are being made because the officer knows of the danger in what he is having to do in the course of what he is doing

Remember you a buying a mass produced car. Remember that over half the drivers on the road have below average driving standards. Are you sure you are not one of those? Volvo have to build their cars to be safe for those drivers and thus all the safety installed for them is received by every buyer regardless of skill, ability, attitude or experience. If you don't like that concept, stop buying mass produced cars
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

And I guess the 112mph limit has nothing to do with BEV's not being able to cope with prolonged high speed travel.
As I said previously, let's make the max speed limit 70mph. What is the argument for it being higher?
Lincolnshire England.
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

Thank you for all the replies. Plenty about removing the speed limiter but still cant get fuel consumption for a B5
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Plumber64 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:19 pm Thank you for all the replies. Plenty about removing the speed limiter but still cant get fuel consumption for a B5
I thought I provided figures in my reply????
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

has anybody upgraded from the 20 inch to the 22 inch tyre. If so did you notice a difference in the road noise.