C40 Recharge - new Volvo model

The place to discuss everything else..
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Anyone interested?

https://www.volvocars.com/intl/v/cars/c40-electric

Looks a bit ugly to me, with few advantages over the XC40 unless the price is a surprise.

The adaptive pixel headlights look nice, I hope they make it to the XC40 at facelift time.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Acceleration and range figures are identical with XC40 Pure Electric, it probably shares the same drivetrain with 2 electric motors for approx. 400 HP with 80 kWh battery pack. Therefore, I expect price to be same with XC40 Pure Electric, or even higher due to its premium coupé form and new technologies (pixel headlights).

Just found some more info here: https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/2/22307 ... e-ev-specs
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:44 pm Acceleration and range figures are identical with XC40 Pure Electric, it probably shares the same drivetrain with 2 electric motors for approx. 400 HP with 80 kWh battery pack. Therefore, I expect price to be same with XC40 Pure Electric, or even higher due to its premium coupé form and new technologies (pixel headlights).

Just found some more info here: https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/2/22307 ... e-ev-specs
And of course the same running gear, motors, batteries etc as the Polestar 2.

Indeed put the two side by side and they look almost identical.

Not a bad thing of course
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I thought that I had read it was to be a bit cheaper and come in just below the £50k to get £3K grant.
The other announcement was that Volvo are doing a Tesla and all sales will move on line with limited options and set prices. I am more concerned about that. I like dealing with local dealers and being able to (try) and negotiate discounts and choose the options I want and not just what is lumped together. I can see why Volvo want to go this way, simpler, bigger profits, quicker delivery, no discounts but I don't see it a benefit for buyer. Or am I a dinosaur?
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Salmonfisher wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 pm
The other announcement was that Volvo are doing a Tesla and all sales will move on line with limited options and set prices. I am more concerned about that. I like dealing with local dealers and being able to (try) and negotiate discounts and choose the options I want and not just what is lumped together. I can see why Volvo want to go this way, simpler, bigger profits, quicker delivery, no discounts but I don't see it a benefit for buyer. Or am I a dinosaur?
That aspect concerns me the most too...the joy of Volvo being Chinese owned I guess.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

It looks like it's trying to sit in the same space as the Jaguar E Pace and the new Mustang Mach E. Visually there are bits I like (the lights, the front scoop), otherwise it looks like a less spacious XC40 with not great range and leaves me wondering why bother? Unless this is MUCH cheaper than the XC40 recharge all I can see them doing is splitting the market within their own range rather than tempting anyone over from other brands.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
No salmonfisher I don’t believe that you are a dinosaur, IMO it’s bad news that it looks like no Volvo dealers within 10 years and if confronted with this I would look elsewhere, sure have online sales there for people that want it but it’s wrong for people not to be able to go and sit in a car , get a feel for it and have a test drive.

I picked up my xc40 on Monday and I only made the purchase after I had a test drive in December before the lockdown, without this I would not have ordered the car.

On the subject of the post, sorry I don’t like the look of the new car the front doesn’t look to bad from the side but the back looks weird
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Dealers aren't going anywhere, not least because they have to perform pre-sales, delivery and after-sales support, as well as servicing:

"‘We are looking to grow our volumes overall and while we are talking about direct online sales, we are allowing customers to interact in ways they choose to.

There will be many customers who still choose to come to one of our fantastic retailers and transact in much the same way as they do so today – speak to product experts and drive the car. There will also be others who want to sit at home or at work with a cup of coffee and do the entire transaction online and have the car delivered to them.

Crucially, the retailer is involved right the way through as all of that is fulfilled through the network. While the transaction is direct with Volvo, the retailer is there supporting the customer."

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish ... ure/218291
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Den48 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:27 pm Hi
No salmonfisher I don’t believe that you are a dinosaur, IMO it’s bad news that it looks like no Volvo dealers within 10 years and if confronted with this I would look elsewhere, sure have online sales there for people that want it but it’s wrong for people not to be able to go and sit in a car , get a feel for it and have a test drive.
When I ordered my XC40 in September I didn't visit a dealer at all. Never have

But I had a 5 day extended test drive arranged by Volvo UK (much better than a 30 minute drive around the block at the dealer) so was able to fully try out the car before ordering. By dealing directly with Volvo, I was able to request a demo vehicle of the correct spec with the right options.

Worked out great and is something I will be keen to do again in the future. I didn't miss the dealer experience at all
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Short video review