Speeding summons

The place to discuss everything else..
yalocatos

Post by yalocatos »

I now use the speed limiter on my new XC40, just found it actually reads the speed signs when set and means you cant exceed the speed limit. Been on one speed awareness course which still cost me £110 but no points on the licence, Dont want to go on another as well as the cost. 34MPH in a 30 mph area. First speeding ticket in 64 yrs of motoring, HAVEN'T I BEEN LUCKY.

Db55

Post by Db55 »

Plumber64, or just stick to the speed limit!.
T5 FE, osmium grey
Harrydog

Post by Harrydog »

yalocatos wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:45 am I now use the speed limiter on my new XC40, just found it actually reads the speed signs when set and means you cant exceed the speed limit. Been on one speed awareness course which still cost me £110 but no points on the licence, Dont want to go on another as well as the cost. 34MPH in a 30 mph area. First speeding ticket in 64 yrs of motoring, HAVEN'T I BEEN LUCKY.
Wow, hope I am still driving at 81👍🏽
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

This leeway of 10% + 2mph is only a suggestion apparently. Not to be relied on.
Huttyhut11

Post by Huttyhut11 »

This is a letter I was going to send, but eventually decided not to in case of repercussions.
I did a motorway course just before lockdown this year.
I was caught doing 58 mph on a smart motorway.
The speed limit had been reduced to 40 mph due to an ‘ obstruction’ which was non existent.
The whole event was like a promotional session for smart motorways, which caused considerable bad feeling in the room.
The session left me feeling very angry at both the content and delivery, and wishing I had challenged it in court.

‘Having attended a motorway speed awareness course, I was confused about the ethos of the scheme and how my driving ability and knowledge had been enhanced having completed it.
I feel that the whole half day was a wasted opportunity to deliver some useful new information to attendees, such as CPR training or accident response/ management for lay people.
The majority of attendees are experienced drivers and thus victims of the poor speed limit signage management on smart motorways.
If intended as an educational vehicle it failed because of the patronising way the information was delivered.
Indeed on a number of occasions, we were simply given propaganda favouring Smart Motorways.
Any attempt at discussion or dissent was shouted down.
Conversely,If intended as a punishment, it succeeded . It was a less costly way of avoiding license points than proceeding to litigation in the magistrates court.’
Wad

Post by Wad »

I was caught a few weeks ago on a rural road with boomerang speed limits. Limit changes continually 30 to 40 to 50 and down again for no apparent reason. I missed the last one.

I am taking the course to avoid 3 point and insurance hike afterwards.

The course is now on Zoom and will be next week.

I have since tried the speed limiter and find it dramatic. reduced speed limit signs on side roads sometimes fool it causing rapid slow down

XC40 Momentum T4
XC40 Momentum pro
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I have always thought the 10% + 2mph was discretionary, not a gimme?
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

Speed awareness courses depend on who is running them. The two I have been on (years apart) were delivered by independent consultants who were doing it as a paying job and didn't have an axe to grind. Relaxed and useful with lots of chat and useful pointers to avoid getting caught. They were outraged that I was sent for doing 42 in a 40 but it was on holiday in Wales where no leeway. Well worth it to avoid the points and insurance hike and quite entertaining. Sounds like the bad experience above was down to who delivered course and them taking the easy way out by regurgitating propaganda. Worth looking at who is giving course before you sign up as you can do it anywhere.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

I did one 3 years ago, expires next month. 58 in a 50 by mobile unit through never ending road works (Devon).
Definitely death by PowerPoint but marginally better than the 3 points. Mine was also the first one in 40 years of driving, unfortunately they don't take into account the previous unblemished record combined with the very slight speed discrepancy which was actually due to travelling at the same speed as everyone else. Must have been a very profitable spot for them.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

PlymDave wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:47 am I did one 3 years ago, expires next month. 58 in a 50 by mobile unit through never ending road works (Devon).
Definitely death by PowerPoint but marginally better than the 3 points. Mine was also the first one in 40 years of driving, unfortunately they don't take into account the previous unblemished record combined with the very slight speed discrepancy which was actually due to travelling at the same speed as everyone else. Must have been a very profitable spot for them.
Like the way you are trying to justify breaking the law.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras