Speeding summons

The place to discuss everything else..
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

So despite speed sign recognition and speed camera alert I have recieved a speeding summons in the post today. First one in over 40 years of driving. Apparently a mobile unit caught me at 46mph in a 40 limit on a country road, that's just 1mph over the allowed leeway. If I had been intentionally speeding I would have said fair cop but I honestly didn't have any reason to think I was over the speed limit. So it looks like a 4 hour speed awareness course coming up soon. Anyone been on one?
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.

USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

All that safety tech and all it takes is a loose nut behind the wheel 😀
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I’ve never been on one but I know many people who have. Lots of young boys driving Turbo, Nutter cars. They’ll look up to you as some sort of Father figure.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

That's weird. What part of UK are you from? I was under the impression it's 10% of speed limit + 2mph, so 46 should have been fine.
I constantly go around cameras on M25 doing 79 and don't trigger them. I recently found out this does not apply in Wales, and guess what, i was just back from a trip to Snowdonia, all speeding included haha. Luckily no postcard for me! :)

I've heard the courses named in folklore as "Death by PowerPoint", so good luck! Hope i won't have to take one anytime soon haha.
USERof XC40

Post by USERof XC40 »

Skyrimmer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:56 pm So despite speed sign recognition and speed camera alert I have recieved a speeding summons in the post today. First one in over 40 years of driving. Apparently a mobile unit caught me at 46mph in a 40 limit on a country road, that's just 1mph over the allowed leeway. If I had been intentionally speeding I would have said fair cop but I honestly didn't have any reason to think I was over the speed limit. So it looks like a 4 hour speed awareness course coming up soon. Anyone been on one?
Some Googled info:

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/speed-awareness-courses
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

USERof XC40 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:45 pm
Skyrimmer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:56 pm So despite speed sign recognition and speed camera alert I have recieved a speeding summons in the post today. First one in over 40 years of driving. Apparently a mobile unit caught me at 46mph in a 40 limit on a country road, that's just 1mph over the allowed leeway. If I had been intentionally speeding I would have said fair cop but I honestly didn't have any reason to think I was over the speed limit. So it looks like a 4 hour speed awareness course coming up soon. Anyone been on one?
Some Googled info:

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/driving-law/speed-awareness-courses
Some usefull info. Thanks
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

I've been twice much to my embarassment! Both occasions were in new Volvos, first time in my V60 shortly after purchase the second time was last year not that long after getting my XC40. Both times I was caught out in a similar manner to you,and I don't think of myself as a 'boy racer'! The two courses weren't too tedious with quite a lot of interactive stuff and I have to admit that they do make you think. The first obviously didn't stop me offending again however! I'm driving carefully now as you can't go on another course for 3 years after the previous. So if you see a bloke pottering around in a Pine Grey XC40 T5 it's probably me.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Thanks balmoral. I suppose I could have fallen into the boy racer category years ago when I burnt rubber in my Capris. Bought the XC40 to enjoy the comfort and a sedate ride and look what happens.

Ciuncky I am from Norfolk. Country police obviously not good at maths.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I've been twice, the most recent one was in the last year and it was far better than the one several years ago.
I found with both that I was surprised by just how little other drivers actually know, but it's good that they're being educated a bit with it too.

Both times I've been done recently I've been aware of the fact that I am speeding, both only just above the lea way.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

I too was caught when driving my works van. I was told by a fellow worker that he had been on a speed awareness course and the police told him how to beat the speed camera vans. Look in your rear view mirror to make sure no one is following to close and do an emergency stop and then proceed at the correct speed limit.