Brake lights - Are they LED or just plain old filament

The place to discuss everything else..
Dermottdog

Brake lights - Are they LED or just plain old filament

Post by Dermottdog » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi people

My new car doesn’t arrive until early November. So, to get my fix, I’m constantly looking at any and every XC40 that I can lay my eyes on.

So today, in my work van, I’m a few car back from a 19 plate D4. Observing the cars brake lights, they seemed to be slow to eliminate and slow to fade out. This is of course a trait of plain old Filament lamps/bulbs.

Am I wrong or does the XC40 have LED brake lights that light up and go out instantly and my eyes have deceived me?
R Design Pro T5 in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!!

Septercius

Re: Brake lights - Are they LED or just plain old filament

Post by Septercius » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:09 pm

There's a thread from a while ago that suggests they are not LEDs:

viewtopic.php?t=738
XC40 R-Design Pro D4 AWD Automatic | Bursting Blue | Convenience pack | Intellisafe Pro | Winter Plus pack | Xenium pack | Active four-C chassis | Power passenger seat | Sensus Connect/Harmon Kardon | Power rear door locks | Polestar

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 pm

Perfect. Thanks for the info.
R Design Pro T5 in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!!

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:04 am

Perhaps Volvo are just being considerate to drivers stopped in traffic behind you! Especially if you are driving an auto.
Practical car - Volvo XC40 T4 FWD R-Design in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Electric Drivers Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera and Tow Bar.

Fun car - Audi TT Roadster manual in Samoa Orange.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:46 am

Have to say now that I've got the car and liking the look of the rear lights, well the whole car, I'm really not that bothered whether they are LED or not.
Practical car - Volvo XC40 T4 FWD R-Design in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Electric Drivers Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera and Tow Bar.

Fun car - Audi TT Roadster manual in Samoa Orange.

K1t

Post by K1t » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:59 pm

I kind of agree with ChrisLF on this, BUT, I say, there`s always room for a little improvement where practical, especially on bulb/light reaction times, but not necessarily brightness/lumens. Had a little bit of useful info the other day, from a contact in Volvo Parts that might help with Volvo`s thinking. The O/E, REAR lighting specs I`ve been given are thus:- Rear Tail/Side lamp is a LED unit, Reversing Lamp is a LED unit, Stop light is a H21W Halogen (bright) bulb, the upper brake light is a LED unit, the Rear Fog Warning lamp is also a H21W Halogen type (bright) bulb and lastly, in my book, the odd-one-out is the Rear Indicator bulb, which is a 'std' PY21W tungsten bulb, amber coloured with offset pins. So I.M.H.O the 2 Halogen and the 1 tungsten filament-type bulbs would be candidates for the LED treatment, if you wanted to bother............When mine, eventually, gets here I`ll review this again!
XC40 T3 R-Design, FWD, Manual, my2020 163bhp, Crystal White, M-blk 18" Alloys, Charcoal leather/nubuck trim, Tempa Spare Wheel Kit. No other Frills.....(K.I.S!).........Erm 'SOON?'

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Ok. Thanks for all your replies. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not an issue. I just thought that LED’s throughout the car would have been the way forward. I’ve read the thread on the same subject and people are upgrading. I won’t be going down that route.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”