How long to appear on insurers database?

The place to discuss everything else..
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Picked up our new XC40 on Saturday with the 5 day drive away insurance, been checking since to try and obtain insurance but car still isn’t showing.
Any ideas how long it should take as currently unable to be insure?

Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Go to www.gov.uk to check the tax status with the registration.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Well it still doesn’t appear on the insurers database and MID! Bit naughty really as is covered by the 5 day drive away insurance.
Got it on cover by the insurer manually entering it on their system.
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I understand that, as long as you have the Certificate of Insurance for the 5 day drive away insurance, you are OK. You can be stopped by the police, but that's all you need. I'm in the same boat. I phoned Volvo Insurance 24 hours after the insurance started and after checking on ASKMID and they told me that they don't usually bother to register short term insurance policies on the MID.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

It has finally appeared in the MID this morning - 24 hours before it expires! Oh well - better late than never.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Our issue was that the car itself (the registration plate) was not showing on the database to actually insure against - thankfully appeared for year 2 insurance!
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

stu22 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:25 pm Picked up our new XC40 on Saturday with the 5 day drive away insurance, been checking since to try and obtain insurance but car still isn’t showing.
Any ideas how long it should take as currently unable to be insure?
Depends how often your insurer updates their databases with DVSA. If it doesn't appear the insurer can add it manually.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Seems to be highly unpredictable.

I was trying to get quotes on a prospective purchase - registration Not Known. So I tried the registrations of a bunch of others from Selekt of the same model. Some were known, some weren't.

Some registered 9 months ago, not known. Some registered 2 months ago were known. [shrug]

Had the same snag as the OP in that when I tried to register for my free Drive-Away insurance, the reg wasn't known (Q: why do they make you apply for a full year of coverage from Volvo Insurance in order to get the Drive-away cover? - surely pointless).

So I registered with generic make/model and then phoned. Got a really helpful person who put the registration on the policy, extended the Drive-away to 5-days (looks like it's only 24-hours unless you explicitly ask for it to be extended), and finally emailed me the Certificate of Insurance.
MY2020 R-Design
Deleted User 3100

Post by Deleted User 3100 »

I had no issues with my Sept 2019 model.
5 day insurance was 5 days not 24 hours. Got my own insurance via the usual comparison sites. First year £230, this year slightly cheaper. Fully comp, legal, protected NC, my and wife. No issues.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Is the 5 day drive away insurance standard with all XC40's? My dealer didn't mention this when I ordered mine.