Nice dashcam with safety camera alerts

The place to discuss everything else..
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

OK, OK, I know there are squillions of threads already but, just thought I'd post about one of the options in case anyone is interested.

I'm a bit of a wimp and, therefore, like to obey the law when it comes to dashcam placement. This can be difficult with some cameras as bulky mounts and/or lens placement can make this difficult. Step forward the Garmin 55 - a matchbox sized camera with the lens on the right-hand side, making it easy to mount the camera on the passenger side (in the UK) of the vehicle but, with the lens just peeking into the swept area.

The reason I'm posting this heads-up now is that Halfords are knocking out a 'plus' version of this camera for £119, which includes a polarising filter & lifetime safety camera updates (from the Cyclops database).

There are a couple of things I don't like:

1. Included power cable is attached to cigar lighter connector, so it monopolises your accessory plug
2. Parking mode is only available if you buy separate cable & connect up to separate live/accessory feeds

However, I think the Halfords deal is well worth consideration for anyone looking for a half-decent dashcam with camera alerts (also has some driver assistance options that would be great if you drive an old banger- less so if you have a shiny new Volvo).

I'm still waiting for my new car and, if an integrated solution from Volvo becomes available, I will take up that option. However, £119 seemed a good buy in the meantime.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

I have a Garmin 55. All I did with the power was buy a nice long USB to micro usb cable and also bought a little adapter which converts the cigarette lighter into 2 usb sockets

XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Shaenei wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:50 pm I have a Garmin 55. All I did with the power was buy a nice long USB to micro usb cable and also bought a little adapter which converts the cigarette lighter into 2 usb sockets

Thanks, I already have a dual USB fast-charger adapter I use in my current car - just wish the Garmin cable was separate from the charging plug as I would then have a nice cable that I could be certain would work + have the neat 90 degree connector.

Can you remember what make your cable was? Garmin can be notorious for not charging on just any old cable - they normally have to be dedicated charger cables.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

My cable is the one I linked and it works perfectly
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Shaenei wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:28 pm My cable is the one I linked and it works perfectly
??? I just see a big white space in your post - not any link.

Don't know if there's a problem with the forum or my internet settings??
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Silver Moose wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:37 am
Shaenei wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:28 pm My cable is the one I linked and it works perfectly
??? I just see a big white space in your post - not any link.

Don't know if there's a problem with the forum or my internet settings??
Massive apologies. Now viewing post via phone rather than Windows laptop & I can see your link clearly. Great find for a 3m cable with right-angled connections.....many thanks.

Edit.....P.S: It was my adblocker blocking the link....sorry again :|
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

No worries 👍

morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Any chance of a picture of it installed, to get an idea of what it’s like in situ?
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

morrishey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:38 am Any chance of a picture of it installed, to get an idea of what it’s like in situ?
I can't really help you with that yet as I don't have my XC40 yet.

I have only tried it out with a bodged fit in my current car - have a hard-wired Nextbase & didn't want to use up a sticky mount for the sake of a couple of months.

I can say it's so small that you have loads of options of where to install - though it's perhaps preferable not to hide it behind the mirror as it can usefully display info such as distance to camera.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Here's a picture of it wired up, can't be seen from the driver's seat due to the rear view mirror

IMG_20190118_125221.jpg