Sun Visors. Anyone have any comments/concerns?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JakXC40

Post by JakXC40 »

Hi, every time I drive into the low evening sun, particularly on winding country roads, I can't help wondering why Volvo appear to have provided the XC40 with sun visors from the wrong parts bin?

For some reason the angled form and "skimpy" visor profile makes it impossible to adjust and adequately shield the driver's eyes from the sun when or where it is most needed. There is always an open area left between the outer swept up edge and the A-post?

I can't help thinking the size/profile of the driver's visor is hardly fit for purpose & potentially dangerous!

Over many years driving various vehicles, I have never experienced such inadequate visors?

I did a forum search covering "sun visors" here but found no results re. this subject!
XC40 / FE / T5 / 20" / Osmium Grey / 16/10/18

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Never had a problem with them, but then, I’ve never had a sun visor that completely covers the top of the windscreen, there’s always been somewhere the sun can peek through if it’s in the right place.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
JakXC40

Post by JakXC40 »

It used to be the case that around the centre of the screen behind the rear view mirror there was a 'difficult' open area, but more recently most of that space is taken-up by technology!

My issue with the XC40 is simply the shape, the form of the sun shield, towards and at the A-post end?
Bhowani

Post by Bhowani »

Not wishing to be flippant, but free membership of the flat hat club is available from any bone fide tyke.I always travel with on me, as one can swivel it round to block out sun from side windows without the tortuous job of unlocking and official sun visor and swinging it round.
It might sound a bit primitive but it works, and reinforces the boring old ********** image which some sections of the media perpetuate.

Bhowani
Currently 2013 V60 Auto (PETROL!!)
2019 XC40 T4 en route somewhere, but preferably before 29th March!
2019 XC40 T4 - Denim Blue
JakXC40

Post by JakXC40 »

Dear Bhowani, while that idea in no way exonerates Volvo from [IMO] it's questionable XC40's Sun Visor arrangement, I have to admire your preferred all year round rotary cap solution! :lol:
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Will dig my flat cap out in anticipation of the Volvo arriving - The Norman Wisdom look is after all pretty cool!
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Godders

Post by Godders »

My old Saab had two sun visors - the main one which could be swung round to cover the side window and another, fixed, one underneath to cover the windscreen when the main one was moved to the side. Very useful when driving towards the sun on a winding road. A simple idea which it is surprising Volvo haven't adopted.
Inscription T4 automatic Onyx Black
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Godders wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 am My old Saab had two sun visors - the main one which could be swung round to cover the side window and another, fixed, one underneath to cover the windscreen when the main one was moved to the side. Very useful when driving towards the sun on a winding road. A simple idea which it is surprising Volvo haven't adopted.
I've had a couple of Saabs and those visors were a brilliant design. Never seen them on any other make of car - I wonder why? I seem to remember that the cup-holders on my 9-5 were a cool design as well. It's a pity that GM destroyed Saab.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
JakXC40

Post by JakXC40 »

I wouldn't mind betting the Scandinavian VOLVO buyers [for example] have a better & safer set-up than this...

E0B18F56-B2FC-46CB-BAB5-AF58AC647CA1.jpeg

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Minis had double sun visors, the second in place of the drivers handle bar above the door.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018