steering wheel lock

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Boo22

Post by Boo22 »

hi All,

now that I finally have my new babay (and love it!)
just wondering if I should get a steering wheel lock as a visual/actual deterrent? I've not had a car with keyless entry before and I'm a little nervous about it, havign read so many reports of car theft.

I cant see anythign online to say if any of the versions of stoplock will fit the xc40 and would appreciate any advice
T5 1st Edition, Crystal White, 20" alloys, charcoal. Delighted owner since 13h Nov.

Gre

Post by Gre »

Boo22 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:12 pm hi All,

just wondering if I should get a steering wheel lock as a visual/actual deterrent? I've not had a car with keyless entry before and I'm a little nervous about it, havign read so many reports of car theft.

I cant see anythign online to say if any of the versions of stoplock will fit the xc40 and would appreciate any advice
Congrats on your delivery.
If you are only concerned that theft will happen only due to the keyless entry system where signal boosters are used, The best thing to get is a key pouch that cuts all signals getting in or out of the this case instead of putting a stop lock on your stearing wheel. Lucky enough my car is always kept inside a garage or in a secure parking lot.
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.
Boo22

Post by Boo22 »

thanks Gre
i have a key pouch but i'm not fortunate enough to have a garage so would like the security of a steering lock to act as a visual deterrent.
T5 1st Edition, Crystal White, 20" alloys, charcoal. Delighted owner since 13h Nov.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I watched a tv show, years back, showing how easily these are removed by criminals, less than 10 seconds, so I’ve never bothered. Maybe new ones are better. As long as Volvo On Call’s active, they’ve all got trackers, which seems a better deterrent to me.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Boo22 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:12 pm hi All,

just wondering if I should get a steering wheel lock as a visual/actual deterrent? I've not had a car with keyless entry before and I'm a little nervous about it, having read so many reports of car theft.

Hi Boo.

I had a krooklok in my previous car and hoped it would fit the XC40 but sadly not. The airbag/horn bulge in the center of the wheel makes it impossible to fit the standard krooklok. Tried the pro version which has an increased crank depth but no luck with that either.

I ended buying this one.
Reinforced Rod Car Steering Wheel Lock Steering Wheel Locking Device Heavy Duty High Security Anti Theft Car Van Lock/Brace

It is shipped from China & took a month to get here but it was worth the wait. Fits like a dream in the large gap above the center bulge, no need for it to sit across the bulge like many others.

I know that at the end of the day they are not infallible but to me anything that makes it even a little more difficult for potential thieves is worth it...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Just curious rifleman. How do you unlock it? Key, code etc
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Shaenei wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:43 am Just curious rifleman. How do you unlock it? Key, code etc
It’s a 5 digit combination lock. Dials are nice and chunky with large digits.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Mickr

Post by Mickr »

I use a key pouch plus I have a Stoplock Pro Elite which I use as an extra deterrent when away from home.
FE/T5/Bursting Blue