Wireless Charging with Phone Case

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
elysio

Post by elysio »

Finally got my XC40 after a 5 months wait, everything's been mostly good so far (radio app failed to boot on one occasion). I recently also got a Pixel 3 with google's case, which is said to work with wireless charging. When I placed it on the charging pad on the XC40, nothing... No wireless charging until I took off the case. This being the only wireless charging capable phone that I have, I can't cross check with other phones. Do any of you guys have experienced this? Is the wireless charging pad in the car weaker than normal? Or is it my phone?

senwar

Post by senwar »

I have a silicone case on my iphone X and it charges fine with it on. Its not one of the small/thin ones, its a fair thickness.

Does your phone charge with case on when on a normal wireless charger?
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Using an iPhone 8 Plus with a silicone case and that charges fine too.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
ZED

Post by ZED »

I do not have a problem with my iPhone 8 either.

ZED
XC40 D4 FE Polestar Crystal White. Charcoal Interior. 20” Wheels. Ordered 16 March, 2018
Original ETA June 2018 - now end of October 2018
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Just tested it with my girlfriend phone as she's got a Pixle 3 with the Google case and I found if you have it close to you it won't charge but if you push it all the way back as shown in my picture it then will charge with the case.

I think as the case adds a barrier you've got to be more precise where it's positioned. Guessing apple has a bigger coil resulting in it being more flexible with positioning

IMG_20181119_181738.jpg

XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
elysio

Post by elysio »

senwar wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:22 pm I have a silicone case on my iphone X and it charges fine with it on. Its not one of the small/thin ones, its a fair thickness.

Does your phone charge with case on when on a normal wireless charger?
Yes it charges fine on the Pixel Stand with the case on (as advertised). And after some fidgeting around I've found that it would activate sometimes, perhaps it's depended on exactly how you position it like the above post says.

Maybe the Pixel 3's charging distance is at its borderline with the case in the XC40...
ijkgenesis

Post by ijkgenesis »

My Samsung 6 has a third k case on it and does not charge in the car but dies on a charging mat indoors. Even with case removed car charging is hit and miss.. resorted to using usb cable
XC40 FE D4 Burstin Blue with 20 inch Wheels

XC60 T8 Ultimate ordered Sept 2023
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Same issue on my Samsung S7 - without case it'll charge, with case it'll sometimes charge if it's placed as far back as I can on the mat.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)