Remote start activates alarm

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ZED

Post by ZED »

I eventually took delivery 26 October. I must say that I really love the car. It has surpassed all expectations.
Just one nagging problem is that when using remote start, the alarm activates itself. This happened on first attempt and then it seemed to be ok. This morning, however, the neighbourhood were awoken again!
I remembered one or two others have reported the same problem. I wonder whether this problem has now been successfully resolved and that advice may be forthcoming. Here’s hoping.

ZED
XC40 D4 FE Polestar Crystal White. Charcoal Interior. 20” Wheels. Ordered 16 March, 2018
Original ETA June 2018 - now end of October 2018

rhaleuk

Post by rhaleuk »

I have had same problem. I *think* I worked out it might have been because my partner used it last (with seat settings etc attached to their key) and then when I remote start it moves the seat and thus triggers the alarm. I've mentioned it to Volvo and they had absolutely no clue though. But I can recreate it by using two different keys and two different seat settings so its seems likely to me.
XC40 D4 Auto First Edition, Crystal White, Lava Orange, 20" Alloys, Polestar - Ordered 14/3/18 - Delivery 6/10/18
ZED

Post by ZED »

I only use one key and one set of settings. I referred this to Volvo and they had not heard of the problem. They suggested that this be referred to the dealer. If Volvo had not heard of the problem, I wonder what chance the dealer has in fixing it?
Tonight, I reduced the internal alarm sensitivity. Tomorrow, I shall try the remote start and see what happens. I will keep you posted. I shall, as advised, refer this to the dealer for a permanent fix.

ZED
XC40 D4 FE Polestar Crystal White. Charcoal Interior. 20” Wheels. Ordered 16 March, 2018
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

I don’t see how the car can know which key is about to use the car, when it’s been remote started by the app? Therefore it shouldn’t be adjusting seat settings etc until the key is actually used to unlock the car, at which time the alarm is disabled.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
ZED

Post by ZED »

Having turned off internal sensitivity of the alarm, last night, this morning hey presto no spurious alarm! I am trying again tonight in case it was a fluke.

ZED
rhaleuk

Post by rhaleuk »

morrishey wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:06 pm I don’t see how the car can know which key is about to use the car, when it’s been remote started by the app? Therefore it shouldn’t be adjusting seat settings etc until the key is actually used to unlock the car, at which time the alarm is disabled.
Yes, logical. I don't disagree. The plot thickens ;)
XC40 D4 Auto First Edition, Crystal White, Lava Orange, 20" Alloys, Polestar - Ordered 14/3/18 - Delivery 6/10/18
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I am having exactly the same issue, not consistently, but enough to be really aggravating. I don’t have the changing key issue, and agree it doesn’t seem logical as I’m not using a key to remote start.

Essentially, I try to remote start - the App says it is started, and then the alarm starts. The App will continue to say the car is running for the set time, and I cannot try again until the run period is finished. Usually I then try again and the car starts remotely!

It’s disappointing that Volvo are unaware as it is clearly not a one-off! I will have to try and book the car into the dealer I guess, although I will kee monitoring the forums in case it is finally resolved!
vmorarian

Post by vmorarian »

Did you try to reboot your phone?
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I intermitently get the alarm going off just after remote start, but it still starts the car in the locked state.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
mattdesign

Post by mattdesign »

Happened to me this morning too, alarm went off about 30 seconds after engine started remotely.
XC40 | R-Design Pro | D4 AWD | Black Stone
20" | Xenium | Intellisafe Pro | Convenience | Harman Kardon | Keyless
Gear shift paddles | Wireless charging | Smartphone integration | Power child locks
Ordered 22/05/18 | Delivered 21/01/19