Sensus update

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
xbimmer

Post by xbimmer »

Any advice please - car tells me I have a map update but too big to update in car. Tried to download to USB stick but it looks like I need 47GB - don't have that sort of memory. The Volvo support website says the update is only 2.3MB so clearly I am doing something wrong...!
D4 R-design 1000miles
D4 R-design in black.

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

The app to download the map update is only about 2MB, but the maps downloads are 40+GB - did it over the weekend. Suggest getting a bigger USB pen.

Make sure it’s USB 3 as well as that’ll help speed up the download to the car from the pen. I’ve read some people saying it takes several hours with theirs. Mine took less than 30 minutes while driving.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

I just download the area i need, not the whole map of Europe which is around 47.66GB. I’ve just updated the North West Europe section of the map to the latest version 1240. This was only 2.67 GB in size but still took over 1.5 hrs worth of short trips to upload to the car from my 64GB USB3 stick. I dont have the Apple Car Play & Android Auto option, which i assume comes with a USB3 port. My car has just the standard USB1 port so that may account for the long upload time i experienced. However, im still amazed that it took less than 30 mins to upload the whole map with USB3.
D4 Auto Design Pro, Crystal White,
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

I did as BarryH, just downloaded the NW Europe map. Put the stick in the CarPlay compatible usb slot (think I remember it telling me it had to go in that one). Was complete by the time I finished my 25 minute drive to work.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I did the update from the non-CarPlay port, but maybe the additional hardware made a difference. It’s also possible that not all maps needed updating, so only did some parts of Europe?
Ordered 11th May 2018
NKXC40

Post by NKXC40 »

I just connect the car to my home broadband router and the update process is fairly simple. You select the update you want, in my case NW Europe and then it downloads and installs. Clearly you need to have the Wi-fi connection whilst it downloads the update into the car but the car can be driven during the installation process, obviously if you do short journeys it may take 2 or 3 but you can always check the progress bar to see how things are going. The apps are also updated the same way and only take a few minutes.

PS: I do not have high speed broadband, runs about 12Mb/s
D4 AWD First Edition Crystal White. 19” Wheels. No headlamp wash. Delivered 8th June after 16 weeks.
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Just doing my second sensus update since getting the car. Installed some updated maps over the past few trips too.

One thing I do notice is the downloads are very slow regardless if I'm using data or my home wifi

I've also found the sensus change log so you can see what theyve added or changed https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ar ... 515970036d
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Shaenei wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:26 pm Just doing my second sensus update since getting the car. Installed some updated maps over the past few trips too.

One thing I do notice is the downloads are very slow regardless if I'm using data or my home wifi

I've also found the sensus change log so you can see what theyve added or changed https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ar ... 515970036d
How do you do the sensus update? I’ve found the ones for the maps and voice, but not sensus. That link suggests it’s done by the dealer, but is there a way for the driver to?
Ordered 11th May 2018
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

hdasmith wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:05 pm
Shaenei wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:26 pm Just doing my second sensus update since getting the car. Installed some updated maps over the past few trips too.

How do you do the sensus update? I’ve found the ones for the maps and voice, but not sensus. That link suggests it’s done by the dealer, but is there a way for the driver to?
Go here on a PC or Mac https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/do ... csid=iam21
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Shaenei wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:42 pm Go here on a PC or Mac https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/do ... csid=iam21
Thanks. I thought that only updated the maps, not the Sensus firmware as well.
Ordered 11th May 2018