Sensus update

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

hdasmith wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:54 pm
Shaenei wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:42 pm Go here on a PC or Mac https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/do ... csid=iam21
Thanks. I thought that only updated the maps, not the Sensus firmware as well.
Don't know, says sensus update on the program bar plus I've updated twice through that and one set of map downloads from the car. 3 map updates in 1 month seems excessive
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October

scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

Shaenei wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:19 am
hdasmith wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:54 pm
Shaenei wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:42 pm Go here on a PC or Mac https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/do ... csid=iam21
Thanks. I thought that only updated the maps, not the Sensus firmware as well.
Don't know, says sensus update on the program bar plus I've updated twice through that and one set of map downloads from the car. 3 map updates in 1 month seems excessive
That link is wrong as it's for the previous generation of Sensus and in any case is for maps only. The correct link for the Sensus Navigation in the XC40 is https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/do ... p&csid=spa but as hdasmith says, I suspect this only updates the maps.

There is a 'system' section in the downloads app of the Sensus in the car so this would suggest that the car itself will download and install any new updates? If not then it must be a dealer only update but in any case I can't find a dedicated section on Volvo's website to manually download and install them. Perhaps someone in the know might be able to advise further?
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
bazroy11

Post by bazroy11 »

By trial & error i have found:
1) updating individual map areas e.g. N.W. Europe takes less time to download to a USB stick but can take hours to upload to the car - this method gives a message in the car to say the map region is installing but not a % indicator to indicate progress
2) Downloading a map update via the car modem where allowed (e.g. some regions are shown as too big to update don't quite understand why this is the case!!) is also quite slow but you do receive a % indicator on progress
3) Finally I thought I would download the the whole map of Europe which is around 48GB to a Toshiba USB3 64GB stick expecting the car to only update the map areas which were not the current version. To my surprise the Sensus screen asked for my confirmation to replace the current version with the new version (i.e. all map regions!). I confimed that i wished to proceed and hey presto a new full version of all map regions was installed in less than 45mins. whilst i was driving along. You also get a nice big % progress indicator in the Navigation panel on the Sensus screen. The downside is that temporarily you lose maps/navigation whilst the update is installing. Assuming that you a) have unlimited download capability with your broadband supplier (mine is with Sky) b) you have a 64GB USB3 stick (relatively cheap to purchase) I would therefore recommend undertaking a full Europe map download. This admittedly does takes hours to download to a USB stick but a least you can leave your computer alone whilst it completes this task (just leave it overnight). Then update all map regions at the same time to your car (which from my experience took less than an hour)
Hope this helps
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Bright Silver |19" wheels | Charcoal interior | Delivered