For those still waiting - what other car would tempt you to cut your losses?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bonnieballoo

Post by Bonnieballoo »

Moved from A3 cab so 8 months before lease was up tried Q3. Not impressed at all. Interior dated, engine dead. Tried new Subaru crossover - bulky, like sitting in a disco with flashing dash lights burning hole in retina. Went into Volvo showroom with friend, killing time whilst he ordered his 60. Sat in xc40 and knew before I drove it this was my next car.

Ordered April. Delivered 7th November. (3 days to go)

Been hiring cars for 2 months. Did I ever regret it? No.

Was probably one of the last first editions and at one point looked like was not going to happen. Second choice would have been used xc60

Morse

Post by Morse »

Bobby
Have you had any conversations with the dealership re cancellations. I didn’t think of this myself but my dealer phoned me out of the blue saying they had a cancellation elsewhere in their group and wanted to know if I wanted it. I had placed the order in Sept for Feb delivery. They offered me a factory slot on early December which I jumped at so expecting delivery around 15th next month. Might be worth a conversation
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

That's a good shout - just dropped them my monthly check in email and will ask the question. Well done on getting yours pushed earlier!
T4 Inscription: Pine Grey, Blond interior + Intellisafe Surround + 360 camera + rear tinted windows. Ordered mid-Sep 2018, delivered 6th Feb 2019.
NeuroMancer13

Post by NeuroMancer13 »

The Jag E-Pace was my other option. Heavier, more expensive, all critics says Volvo clear winner...but the looks... I dunno... plus the delivery date would be half the time than Volvo's.
Anyway I haven't regret it. Still waiting 'till late Feb '19
T5/Inscription/21''/DenimBlue-Amber/FullPack/Polestared
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

It would have to be the new Evoque for me... But the wait time for that one is bound to be terrible, plus they only offer a small diesel not a petrol. The interior looks fantastic, but speccing one up to the kind of spec I'd want takes it to £51k for an SE not even HSE!!
Obviously that's because LR charge more for headlight washers, black headlining, £1400 for an opening pano roof instead of a fixed one for £1100.

Everything you would possibly want is an option and a very expensive one at that.
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

q3billy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:31 pm It would have to be the new Evoque for me... But the wait time for that one is bound to be terrible, plus they only offer a small diesel not a petrol. The interior looks fantastic, but speccing one up to the kind of spec I'd want takes it to £51k for an SE not even HSE!!
Obviously that's because LR charge more for headlight washers, black headlining, £1400 for an opening pano roof instead of a fixed one for £1100.

Everything you would possibly want is an option and a very expensive one at that.
I specced one to match the Inscription Pro, or as close as I could get, it was £8k more! Given all they’ve done is set the photocopier to 75% of the Velar, its an expensive car. Engines aren’t as efficient either.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
johnd

Post by johnd »

Think that any worthwhile alternative is also likely to have a longish wait - it seems to be in part a consequence of the bottleneck in getting new models WLTP tested, which has considerably slowed up their actual availability in showrooms or demos. Still no sign for instance of the 2019 Q3 45 TSFI even being available to order as yet.

Guess I shouldn't really be adding to this thread as I haven't placed an XC40 order as yet though a T5 is a firm possibility (though I can't find any nearby dealerwith a T5 demonstrator) . But I'm used to the idea that almost anything I'm likely to order will be on eg 6 months delivery - it's just the way of the world nowadays for factory builds of in-demand models (try ordering a Hyundai Kona EV right now for instance). But to keep on-topic, my list of other possibles includes:

* I-Pace - great car but just half a size larger than I'd really like

* Cupra Ateca - has the performance I'm after, but not really premium enough

* 2019 Q3 45 TSFI - again decent performance, a quality car but no availability date even confirmed as yet

* New Evoque looks interesting in the 300bhp version if you can look past the sat-on-by-an-elephant looks and the dubious JLR build quality (the I-Pace is built in Austria by Magna Steyr so it's in a different category)

[NB Nothing in the BMW or Merc camps that really appeals - BMW design seems to have taken a wrong turn altogether, despite their excellent engines and Merc interiors just don't work for me.]

NB2: What I'd really be interested in is the XC40 EV, provided it's dual motor with decent performance - apparently 'only' a year to wait but details seem to be non-existent as yet, unless anyone knows better.
NeuroMancer13

Post by NeuroMancer13 »

XC60 seems like the best rival. Still thinking about it despite that I already ordered the xc40
T5/Inscription/21''/DenimBlue-Amber/FullPack/Polestared
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

NeuroMancer13 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:28 pm XC60 seems like the best rival. Still thinking about it despite that I already ordered the xc40
XC60 would have been my choice but it's just a bit too big, bit too pricey and I like the squat, tough look of the XC40
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
tomtallon

Post by tomtallon »

Graad wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:52 am
hdasmith wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:54 pm I would loved to be able to get the XC60, but emissions meant there were very few SUVs I could by. The D3 FWD Manual is the only that comes under the obligatory 130g/km rule we have. I also need good lumbar supports after thrice being rear ended by other drivers. That leaves me with this and the Evoque - dim witted gearbox, tiny rear space, not very attractive.
First of all, I wanted the XC40 so bad because I found it so beautiful !
I actually have a VW Polo and I was not really into a SUV but as I said the design of the XC40 has changed my point of view.

As I am also under a number of leasing rules (limited brands, CO2 limitations), my choices are very different.
These are not all SUVs, but i was looking for these cars :
- BMW X1 : old interior, hope to see the new dashboard as in the new BMW (3 series)
- BMX X2 : I kinda liked the look but the suspensions are too hard
- Audi A3 or A4
- Mercedes new A Class (love the 2 new screens)
- VW Arteon (but the interior is the same as the Passat)
- VW T-Roc : liked the look, but you have a better interior in a Polo :?

I think I would have pick the new A Class, becuse that was the best deal for me !
New to forum today but a word of warning. I have tracked A Class quotes from early users and, although it has super technology. the ground clearance is just over 4 inches fully laden. A number of people on their forum have had issues with speed humps and ramps on ferries. Definitely not something to go into a field with unlike the XC40 and it may not clear your drive if you have a kerb.