Text messaging

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Beeko Bill

Post by Beeko Bill »

Picked my my car today and am immediately in love with it.
However, I’m a bit confused with all the connections. Bluetooth works great but the minute I plug my phone in with a wire, it stops working and only gives Apple car play as an option. Text messaging is all greyed out no matter which way I plug in. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I don’t think text messaging works natively with iPhones. Use Siri on CarPlay instead.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/bl ... #phoneList
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Beeko Bill

Post by Beeko Bill »

According to your link it should work. Everything under text messaging is greyed out.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

From the below, you can see it’s only got partial support for texts. It’ll notify you, and apparently read it out, but that’s about it. If you’ve got CarPlay, use that, I think you’ll find it a much smoother experience.

E0CE42D0-80B1-4C7A-A9DD-81F71C8BC459.png

Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Beeko Bill

Post by Beeko Bill »

Ok. Sorted my own problem so posting this up for anyone who comes across the same issue. It is a setting in the iPhone. You need to go to Bluetooth - info button - tick ‘show notifications’ - restart the car for it to take effect. You will then be able to see and have the Sensus read text messages. You can’t send them but can do this via Apple car play...to me, that’s a fail as you have to plug and unplug the phone rather than just connect up but happy with the solution overall.
JenMo

Post by JenMo »

Thanks for that, just tried it and it is now working.
XC40 T5 First Edition, Crystal White, 20" Wheels, Charcoal Carpet
Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

Thanks for the info Beeko Bill!!

I'd gone through the iPhone and had ticked show notifications... Nothing changed so I unchecked it again and tried other things.. just read your post, done it again then car off and on.. and it works. Exactly what this forum should be all about.
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Beeko Bill wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:34 pm Ok. Sorted my own problem so posting this up for anyone who comes across the same issue. It is a setting in the iPhone. You need to go to Bluetooth - info button - tick ‘show notifications’ - restart the car for it to take effect. You will then be able to see and have the Sensus read text messages. You can’t send them but can do this via Apple car play...to me, that’s a fail as you have to plug and unplug the phone rather than just connect up but happy with the solution overall.
I can actually reply to messages over bluetooth. I know for sure as i replied a few times while to/from work, and i never use CarPlay for this, just long trips. Rather than having the car read the message for you, you should open it (either clicking on notification when you see it, or pulling down from the top of the screen to open the Settings Menu and notification will be there). It will only show received texts, not sent as well as a normal discussion, but you can reply from there. Obviously not working while the car moves