Reversing Camera

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

Really loving the car but I wondered if anyone else found the reversing camera to be a little disappointing?
It seems to be too far recessed under the boot lip and offers quite a limited view.
It’s like looking out from under the duvet.
I’ve had cameras before and even the one I had in a Fiat was more use than this one.

FEC5413A-82E7-4B92-BD6E-CF2B2C197EF4.jpeg

CelticXC40

Post by CelticXC40 »

From your picture, I don't see what the problem is. The yellow lines show your safe limits and you can see either side. what more do you need?
XC40 Inscription pro - T4 - Auto AWD - Pine Grey - Blonde Leather - 19" wheels - Intellisafe pro Pack, Tinted windows, Keyless drive, wireless charging, Xenium pack, Towbar, Spare wheel. Delivered 22nd January 2019.
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

You’re right all the information is there, its just so far I’ve found it quite difficult to use.
In my experience other cameras have shown more of your surroundings and allowed me to reverse using the camera alone. The view just seems a little restricted.
Hopefully it’ll become easier with use.
Oakview

Post by Oakview »

What do you think of the view when you press the zoom tab - may give you the perspective your used to?
XC40 FE | MY19 (cancelled MY18.5 order) | T5 AWD | Crystal White | took on order March, arrived 5th September : :D : |
Dutchie01

Post by Dutchie01 »

I agree Nitrama it is not good enough. I tend to look over my shoulders and use my mirrors more than in my previous cars. The Lexus i had used a wide angle camera with considerable more clarity if that makes sense. You could even see next to the car. Volvo could use a better camera indeed.
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

Looking at the installation it seems that the camera is located low down- the depth of the tailgate dictates that, so nothing can be done there.
Its the fact that the camera itself sits back under the tailgate lip and is also pointing downwards that exacerbates the low position and limits visibility.
Maybe its just to try to keep it clean but I’d have thought it just needs repositioning in its holder to be further out from under the lip.
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Looks to be a fish eye lens too which will cause the distortion
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

I have ordered the reversing camera beginning to wonder if I have done the right thing the one on my X1 was excellent and showed a true picture from the back of the car with no distortion.May try and cancel it and replace it with the sunroof or front parking sensors as car not due until March.
XC40 R Design T4 Fusion Red, winter pack, electric tailgate,Sunroof, reversing camera, mud flaps ,boot liner, fitted rubber mats, and spare wheel
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

TrevG
Before you cancel understand it is usable, the back of the car is high and I’m happy I got the camera.
To me it’s better than relying solely on the sensors.
It’s just that its cropped at the top and the peripheral view seems less than it could be.
Arguably you dont need to see the sky :lol:
I had a BMW before with the Professional media pack and the camera view was excellent so maybe I was spoilt.
If I was going to change I think I’d look at the 360 view, but that may be just as bad!
I’m sure its something you get used to.
I’ve got a call into Volvo to confirm its set up correctly as I personally think if the camera was brought out from under the tailgate lip by just a couple of mm it would go a long way in making things better.
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

Thanks for that NitramA I will wait until you get your response from Volvo maybe it can be adjusted.
XC40 R Design T4 Fusion Red, winter pack, electric tailgate,Sunroof, reversing camera, mud flaps ,boot liner, fitted rubber mats, and spare wheel