What petrol engine should I choose T3,T4 or T5

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

Hi I am just about to order an XC40 R Design I have been to my local dealer for a test drive but unfortunately he only has a D3. We took the car out for a couple of hours and really enjoyed it As I have been a diesel fan for many years this will be a complete change for me I have just sold my 2 year old 2.0D XLine BMW 190bhp and would like a little advice from the forum members on the performance of the three petrol engines as I am unsure what to order the T4 seems close at it also has 190 bhp any advice would be most appreciated before I sign on the dotted line.
XC40 R Design T4 Fusion Red, winter pack, electric tailgate,Sunroof, reversing camera, mud flaps ,boot liner, fitted rubber mats, and spare wheel

Post by 01142007 »

If it helps i have swapped from a v40 cross country D3 to a T3 petrol. My last 2 volvos have been D3. I am very happy with my choice and has enough power and pick up for what i want and the type of driving i do.
DaveSig2018

Post by DaveSig2018 »

TrevG wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm Hi I am just about to order an XC40 R Design I have been to my local dealer for a test drive but unfortunately he only has a D3. We took the car out for a couple of hours and really enjoyed it As I have been a diesel fan for many years this will be a complete change for me I have just sold my 2 year old 2.0D XLine BMW 190bhp and would like a little advice from the forum members on the performance of the three petrol engines as I am unsure what to order the T4 seems close at it also has 190 bhp any advice would be most appreciated before I sign on the dotted line.

Hi TrevG,

Personally I went for T4 in my XC40 Inscription.

For me, i felt that the middle power option was a good compromise between the lower list price/lower power/more mpg of the T3 and the higher list price/higher power/lower mpg of the T5.

This car wasn't ever (for me) going to be able to replace the fun I had in my old car, a BMW 125i..its a different beast after all...so I opted for middle of the road and I am happy with my choice..does what it needs to do 'wafting' down the road :)

Need to add that I have not tried a T5 so cannot give a real world comparison.

Hope that helps in any case.
On order (April 2018) XC40 Inscription / T4 / Denim Blue / now on the road as of 30th July 2018!! :D
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

Thankyou for the advice so far, I was hoping that the T4 would be a half way house between performance and economy
XC40 R Design T4 Fusion Red, winter pack, electric tailgate,Sunroof, reversing camera, mud flaps ,boot liner, fitted rubber mats, and spare wheel
Dutchie01

Post by Dutchie01 »

it is Trev. I am driving a T4 Rdesign with 20'wheels, white lovely car. My previous car was a Lexus IS300h and before that several BMWś Audi Saab and Lexus. If you can afford it go for the T5 you will never regret it as it is a real hot hatch! However the T4 is a great compromise. It feels light on its feet and the short wheelbase secures great manouevreability. The engine is definately fast enough for me, revs easily and once you get the hang of the gearbox you can hold the engine in gear and rev from 1500 to the redline, great torque and as it is relatively light the midrange pull is impressive.
Fuel? 10 ltr/100km. hmmm you dont buy a suv for fuel economy hey.. ( and start thrashing a turbo engine and you can buy shares in Shell). I use dynamic setting on the highway and eco in town as i like the quick shifting no revs setting. No noise and still enough power to waft through town.
In short maybe the T4 is the sweet spot of the range a very balanced car indeed.
However if finances are available go for the T5 AWD.
Melrose7

Post by Melrose7 »

Personally I have always gone for performance over levels of gadgetry and trim hence have ordered an R Design T5 with minimal extras (gear paddles, spoiler, powered tailgate and winter pack with heated windscreen). Very impressed with the test drive and plan to run this car for several years before going electric or hybrid. Delivery not expected until February or March 2019 though.
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

Ordered my car today T4 R Design fusion red winter pack electric tailgate reversing camera and spare wheel, estimated delivery March
Patrice03

Post by Patrice03 »

am positively surprised by the T4, punchy, torque, quiet (but unpleasant rattling when pushing hard), smooth, good engine with reasonable fuel consumption on motorway (watch out urban though). i read positive feedbacks from T3 as well but lacks must have auto gearbox for such car
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

Melrose7 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 pm Personally I have always gone for performance over levels of gadgetry and trim hence have ordered an R Design T5 with minimal extras (gear paddles, spoiler, powered tailgate and winter pack with heated windscreen). Very impressed with the test drive and plan to run this car for several years before going electric or hybrid. Delivery not expected until February or March 2019 though.
agree with Melrose7
we intend to keep ours for some time, until all the problems with Hybrids and electrics and charge points are sorted. Plus they are still very expensive and battery technology is still progressing. The T5 has only one fault, it uses lots of fuel when you put your foot down,, this is common fault with most turbo petrol engines what a surprise. If you want the performance with an aerodynamic brick you pay for it one way or another.
First Edition T5 20” wheels not just a 245bhp 4x4 ipad.
xcy40

Post by xcy40 »

The real world consumption of my T4 is a bit disappointing, but otherwise it's a nice choice if you are not doing many kms.

20181012_084347.jpg