Anyone else think the reversing light is not bright enough.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Moss

Post by Moss »

Gnomeface wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:45 am I can't believe that some people believe that reversing lights are there to indicate to others that you are reversing! They are there so that the driver can see when going backward after dark - at least, that's what they were for on every other car I've owned. Unfortunately on the XC40 the light is totally useless, as I discovered tonight in the rain when trying to reverse out of my daughter's drive which has a high stone wall on both sides and no street lights. Even with my brake lights on I could see nothing in the wing mirrors or camera and had to hang out of the window looking backward - not easy. Next time I'll try putting the (single) rear fog lamp on as well but I doubt it will help much.

If there's any way of increasing the brightness of the reversing light or adding a second one I'd jump at it.
Just FYI, google « BraveWay LED Reversing Lights ».

WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I can only think that Volvo intended the reversing lights as warnings rather than illumination. Since traditional reversing lamp bulbs were normally 21watt filament types, brighter LEDs than the ones fitted would still operate at a fraction of 21watt. The relatively high position on the back of the car is beneficial for warning, but not for kerb illumination. The reversing lights on my previous V40 were perfectly satisfactory.
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

Appear not as bright as my V40,don't think tinted windows and anti dip mirrors help.
Brisey635

Post by Brisey635 »

The reversing light is woeful. Any tips on getting it brighter?
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

71B8l6lcjaL._AC_SY450_.jpg

The reversing light is useless. I'm thinking of getting something like these fitted into the back bumper:
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Can't believe there are posters saying that reversing lights are only required to provide enough output for a warning and not enough for the driver to see! How else are they supposed to see obstacles to avoid hitting them? Don't they drive in the dark and particularly unlit areas?

Unfortunately, despite manufacturers spending a fortune on R&D for new vehicles they have a track record of getting things wrong. Until recently I had Triumph Tiger 1050 motorcycle and on dip the lights were abysmal and were dangerous. Many owners went to great lengths to improve them with some going to the length and expense of altering and fitting the whole front light fitting/fairing from a later model! Manufacturers do thousands of miles of testing but I assume that the drivers and riders don't do any at night!

The only decent reversing lights were in the 60s and 70s when we used to fit spotlights to the back of our cars! :D
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

ChrisLF wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:22 pm Can't believe there are posters saying that reversing lights are only required to provide enough output for a warning and not enough for the driver to see! How else are they supposed to see obstacles to avoid hitting them? Don't they drive in the dark and particularly unlit areas?

Unfortunately, despite manufacturers spending a fortune on R&D for new vehicles they have a track record of getting things wrong. Until recently I had Triumph Tiger 1050 motorcycle and on dip the lights were abysmal and were dangerous. Many owners went to great lengths to improve them with some going to the length and expense of altering and fitting the whole front light fitting/fairing from a later model! Manufacturers do thousands of miles of testing but I assume that the drivers and riders don't do any at night!

The only decent reversing lights were in the 60s and 70s when we used to fit spotlights to the back of our cars! :D
Just use rear camera. Can’t see anything out of the rear window anyway
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Chris John wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 pm
ChrisLF wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:22 pm Can't believe there are posters saying that reversing lights are only required to provide enough output for a warning and not enough for the driver to see! How else are they supposed to see obstacles to avoid hitting them? Don't they drive in the dark and particularly unlit areas?

Just use rear camera. Can’t see anything out of the rear window anyway
But that’s just the problem Chris, the reversing lights are not bright enough for the camera to work properly in the dark. Best to use your ears, listen to the beeps and hope for the best🧑🏻‍🦯
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I love the car but it is without doubt a completely useless reversing light.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

I've just parked mine on my narrow drive in the dark and torrential rain, the rear camera was very clear but the reversing light creates virtually no rear illumination. No complaints about the light not assisting the camera though.