Anyone else think the reversing light is not bright enough.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
NickC

Post by NickC »

It may just be me but the reversing light does not appear to illuminate the area behind the car particularly well. To the point that I have had to check that it was working at all.?

morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Haven’t got mine yet, so unable to comment on that, but doesn’t the camera system negate the need for a floodlit area behind?
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
trjim2k5

Post by trjim2k5 »

I noticed that too. When using the 360 camera I struggle to see properly in low light. Reverting to the rear camera improves things a bit, but I still find the visibility a bit worse than it my V40. That said, I find this a pretty minor issue.
XC40 | Inscription Pro | D3 FWD Auto | Denim Blue | Ordered 29/03/18 | Delivered 29/09/18
samispade

Post by samispade »

Like you I had to check if it was working. Definitely not bright enough. I sometimes have to park in an area with no lighting and everything out the back just looks black so I have to keep blipping the brakes to provide a bit of light to see where I'm heading. The camera is of little or no use.
XC40 FE Crystal White T5 no headlight washers 19" wheels. Ordered 2nd March. Delivered 26th April
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've never considered the reversing light to be a light to illuminate where I'm going, I can't think of one car that I've owned that it would be bright enough for this purpose. I've always thought of it as a signal to others that your were reversing, or were about to reverse.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
NickC

Post by NickC »

Bob is that why you have a car with a tow bar? :-)

Its not supposed to just be an indicator as far as i am aware. How else are ypu supposed to see obstacles in a dark environment when reversing.

Not expecting floodlights. But as the nights have drawn darker it is becoming a concern as having to supplement with brake lights is not ideal to progress. Have had my FE since March.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I’ve noticed that it’s hard to see using the reversing lights. Reversing around other cars to park on my drive which is at the end of a cul-de-sac that doesn’t have any street lights is not fun. I also use the brake light method. Fortunately a white garage door helps reflect light once I’ve positioned the car correctly.
My previous car ( Subaru Legacy) had only one reversing light but that seemed much brighter.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

Same here. Reversing light totally ineffective in darkness either in mirror or on camera. Definately needs rethinking by Volvo.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

How easy would it be to replace with something brighter? Does anyone know if it’s LED or incandescent?
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

hdasmith wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:47 am How easy would it be to replace with something brighter? Does anyone know if it’s LED or incandescent?
They're LEDs, checked yesterday as I had the same idea
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October