Anyone else think the reversing light is not bright enough.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dingledog

Post by Dingledog »

Definitely not bright enough

Bob Delaney

Post by Bob Delaney »

Yes. We have only had the car for two weeks and are getting used to it. The reversing lights are terrible and like you, I got out of the car to check that they were working at all. We have no street lighting and severe stone walls on each side of our "drive" and need to use extreme caution to miss the walls and the black V50 also parked there. What can be done? Any suggestions from Volvo?
Bob Delaney

Post by Bob Delaney »

The reversing lights are to indicate that you have engaged reverse but they are also to illuminate the area into which you are reversing at night. How would Bob manage without forward facing lights at night? The reversing lights are much worse than the Volvo V50 which we have and the 15 year old Nissan we have just got rid of. I didn't even consider to look at the performance of the reversing lights and probably would have thought twice about buying a car which had inadequate road lighting. How do you get Volvo to respond to these comments?
Bob

Post by Bob »

If I remember correctly the first two cars I owned didn't have reversing lights at all :-)
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Bob Delaney

Post by Bob Delaney »

Yes, the eversing lights are useless! How do they get on in the winter in Sweden? There are no street light where we live and reversing into our drive avoiding the stone walls and other parked cars is very tricky with the equivalent of two candles lighting the way. None of the cars I have owned have had this problem and it is not something you would think of checking on a test drive. If I had known I would not have bought the car. I have to think of extending our outside lighting or seeing what Halfords have to offer by way of auxiliary reversing lights.
rob_gizza

Post by rob_gizza »

yep me too, Same here. Reversing light totally ineffective in darkness either in mirror or on camera. Definately needs rethinking by Volvo.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

As previously said, I think, the lights are not intended to illuminate the passage behind but to merely show your intentions to reverse. Years ago, cars had 2 reverse lamps fitted. Now, a lot of vehicles have only 1 fitted. Manufacturers have to stick to code but will do everything possible to save a few shillings.

How would other road users know that you intend to reverse? You must signals clearly to let others know what you intend to do, and it is necessary to use only the signals shown in the Highway Code, You should use the Reversing Lights to let other road users know that you intend to reverse.Sep 7, 2014
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk › ...
Reversing - Highway Code
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Bob Delaney

Post by Bob Delaney »

I have contacted the dealer who sold me my XC40 and Volvo. Both say they have no way of improving or supplementing the reversing lights. Volvo do not monitor this website so are not getting the feedback they need to improve the vehicle. Meeting an oncoming vehicle in a single-track lane last night and I had to trust to luck and the sensors to revers back to a passing place. Switching the daylight foglamps help a bit. I have searched for a solution including a plug-in lamp with no luck.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey everyone, I know I’m swimming against the tide here but reversing lightS aren’t designed to ‘show the path behind’ but merely to show other road users that you intend to reverse. Having bright lamps from other cars that you have driven in the past was a happy consequence. This has troubled many people in the past and the question has been asked time and again.

9FE901BB-1561-418C-9ADB-3CDDA0EEAE2C.png

07B629C1-B30E-406E-AB75-A2390FBA91B3.png

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’m surprised so many have difficulty with them,I find them perfectly bright enough. No good for driving at 70mph, but great for 5 mph
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018