Anyone else think the reversing light is not bright enough.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

The example below, if mirrored on the Swedish car using 14watts, would have a eye watering 2800 Lumens. That’s over 4 x brighter than the average head torch. I would suggest that would dangerously bright for people looking at them.

The Cree XP-L high density LED is the first LED to put out up to 200 lumens per watt at 350mA. This crazy light output along with its breakthrough efficacy give the XP-L a 50% increase in performance over the previous market leading Xlamp XP based LED. The XP-L uses the same footprint as the XPG-2 but has increased the light emitting surface (LES) and maximum drive current (3A) making it so it can be driven at higher currents, therefore being capable of outputting much higher lumen numbers. The XP-L is capable of over 1,000 lumens, boasting next generation output, while also having the highest optical control factor. This LED allows lighting manufacturers and at home do-it-yourselfers to improve the performance of any lighting design while creating smaller and less expensive systems that were not possible before.
Last edited by Dermottdog on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee »

Dermottdog wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:29 pm The example below, if mirrored on the Swedish car using 14watts, would have a eye watering 2800 Lumens. That’s over 4 x brighter than the average head torch. I would suggest that would dangerous bright for people looking at them.

The Cree XP-L high density LED is the first LED to put out up to 200 lumens per watt at 350mA. This crazy light output along with its breakthrough efficacy give the XP-L a 50% increase in performance over the previous market leading Xlamp XP based LED. The XP-L uses the same footprint as the XPG-2 but has increased the light emitting surface (LES) and maximum drive current (3A) making it so it can be driven at higher currents, therefore being capable of outputting much higher lumen numbers. The XP-L is capable of over 1,000 lumens, boasting next generation output, while also having the highest optical control factor. This LED allows lighting manufacturers and at home do-it-yourselfers to improve the performance of any lighting design while creating smaller and less expensive systems that were not possible before.
Probably best to just dab the brake lights occasionally when reversing. That's been the standard help as long as I've been driving - since the late 70s.
Blue Velvet

Post by Blue Velvet »

I thought it is my sight that’s failing me!!!
Yes, I agree, reverse lighting is really poor, I have to take due care when reversing onto my driveway....
Momentum Pro D3
Red Fusion ;)
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Discussed the issue with my local Volvo technician, he advised there is nothing the local dealership can do improve the brightness of the reversing lights. Apparently it's all down to Type Approval homologation i.e. building all type approved vehicle to the same specification.

It would appear that any changes to a vehicle that is not part of an "Approved Type" needs Volvo HQ approval and this can different / change dependant on the target country.

It also would appear that any changes without Volvo HQ approval could invalidate warranty.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Handyman
bba

Post by bba »

The reversing lights are indisputably terrible and not fit for purpose. To claim this is “the way things are supposed to be” as several posters do is just silly.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Leodis

Post by Leodis »

Tbh I have never thought of reversing light as nothing more than a indication of intention, how one light will help you navigate is beyond me especially when most cars have only one
MY23 B3 Plus on order, no del date.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Leodis wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:30 pm Tbh I have never thought of reversing light as nothing more than a indication of intention, how one light will help you navigate is beyond me especially when most cars have only one
Really?

All three of my current cars have twin reversing lights and I can't remember my last car that only had one.

Are you sure you're not getting confused with rear fog lights?

And yes, the XC40 ones are particularly bad.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Leodis

Post by Leodis »

72 dudes wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:47 am
Leodis wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:30 pm Tbh I have never thought of reversing light as nothing more than a indication of intention, how one light will help you navigate is beyond me especially when most cars have only one
Really?

All three of my current cars have twin reversing lights and I can't remember my last car that only had one.

Are you sure you're not getting confused with rear fog lights?

And yes, the XC40 ones are particularly bad.
Yes, my bad. They fail to light up anything when reversing on a Skoda
MY23 B3 Plus on order, no del date.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

So, just joined this conversation (rejoined). As previously stated, the primary function of a reversing light is to show the intent to reverse. Lighting up the path behind is not in its remit.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Dermottdog wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:25 pm So, just joined this conversation (rejoined). As previously stated, the primary function of a reversing light is to show the intent to reverse. Lighting up the path behind is not in its remit.
I don't disagree, but it's a bonus if they do. Fortunately I've had that bonus on all my cars except for the XC40.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.