Temporary tire

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Takeo M

Post by Takeo M »

Hello.

The temporary type spare tire is generally optional, but most people have not chosen it in Japan.
Instead, the repair kit is equipped as standard.

I think that annual average distance of private cars in Japan is less than 10,000 kilometers per year, and that few people can exchange by themselves.

I drive a car everyday and I move a long distance so it is better to have a temporary.

What do you think about the necessity of temporary?
T5 AWD Inscription / Maple Brown Metarllic

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

I've never needed to put a spare tyre on in 15/16 years of driving so to me I don't believe they're important
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

I’m guessing that opinions will vary depending on experience.

Having had to use repair kits three times over the last 3 or 4 years my experience is mixed. The nail that deflated my wheel overnight was able to be sealed enough to get me to the local tyre dealer, so worked fine. Same result from a nail in wife’s tyre.

The pot hole that split my wife’s tyre was beyond the ability of the sealant and left us stranded on a country road after a couple miles of pump-it-up-go-for-half-mile-pump-it-up-again. At that point I was very much cursing car makers for not supplying a proper spare wheel!

So, one stranding over the test ten years driving cars without a spare wheel. On the balance of it, despite the frustration on that one event, for such a low probability I’d probably be quite happy going with a repair kit. The stranding is what breakdown insurance is for!
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
trjim2k5

Post by trjim2k5 »

At the beginning, I was a bit skeptical of having no spare wheel. In my 15 years of driving, I used the spare wheel 3 times.

However, after thinking about it rationally, I'd rather have the extra space in the boot. Waiting for the (free) roadside assistance to arrive once every 5 years is not that big of a deal.

But it also depends on where you live. I'm in London so roadside assistance arrives fairly quickly. For people in remote areas it might make more sense to have a spare wheel.
XC40 | Inscription Pro | D3 FWD Auto | Denim Blue | Ordered 29/03/18 | Delivered 29/09/18
Bob

Post by Bob »

I would always have a spare wheel, I've had to use it twice on my current Audi, and I've had to use it at least once on all my previous cars. The more recent time I had to use it I would have been stranded in the middle of nowhere, miles from home, with an unrepairable tyre. I would have been off the road for two days waiting for a local stockist to get the correct tyre, the space saver tyre saved the day (or two days in this case) and, indeed, the mini-break we were on.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
CelticXC40

Post by CelticXC40 »

Great until you shred a tyre on a remote country road. Then you will curse the day you decided to buy a car without a spare.
This happened to a friend of mine who did just that on the Yorkshire moors. It took the assistance people over 3 hours to reach him, and it was late in the evening!!!

Fine if you just get a flat and can use the aerosol to get going again. However it's called "sods law" the worst will happen.
XC40 Inscription pro - T4 - Auto AWD - Pine Grey - Blonde Leather - 19" wheels - Intellisafe pro Pack, Tinted windows, Keyless drive, wireless charging, Xenium pack, Towbar, Spare wheel. Delivered 22nd January 2019.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

As others have already said, it depends on personal experience and the type of journeys that you do. I didn't have a spare in my last Volvo and managed to get a burst tyre on a remote Scottish Island. There was a small garage there but they didn't have exactly the right tyre, I was faced with the choice of either waiting 2 days until the correct tyre was shipped across to the island (at my expense) or buying the wrong kind of tyre which would get me to me to the mainland but I would have to throw away and replace immediately. It was an expensive experience which made me resolve never to buy another car without a spare wheel.

When I ordered my XC40 there was an error in the Volvo price list which showed the spare wheel as a no cost option, so it was a no-brainer for me!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’ve had loads of problems with hatchbacks on little thin tyres, but none driving larger 4x4 style with big tyres, tread, and greater flex in the sidewall. I haven’t gone for the spare in my order, although I did initially when it was quoted as being a free option.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Our friends had a proper blow out on the French AutoRoute in summer (they were following us) , the main part of the tyre was no longer attached to the wheel - thankfully they had a space saver. It would have been a complete nightmare to have had to try and get recovered - but we could limp to a local town/garages then on the space saver. I do a lot of miles, so I'd always want to have one. Never had a car without.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I'd always look for a spare wheel in the spec if possible for those reasons others have given above.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18