Running In.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I've always been very gentle with my new cars, but understand that 'running in' is not necessary these days. Now 500 miles on the clock, so will gradually use more revs. Am I alone?

GemBar

Post by GemBar »

Your not alone, You don't have to run cars in these days but I have always done so and have continued with this one, now hitting 850 miles and have loved every minute of it.
XC40 T3 R Design | Winter Pack | Heated Rear Seats & Steering Wheel | Front Parking Sensors | Power Tailgate | Osmium Grey | Ordered Mid March for Delivery June / October / September | Now driving as from 14-09-18
Bob

Post by Bob »

My general rule of thumb for new cars (and motorcycles) is, in the first 1,000 miles, don't redline it, and vary the revs, i.e. don't hold it continuously at the same revs (e.g. on the motorway) for prolong periods.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Db55

Post by Db55 »

I too am of an age to remember when you had to “run in” a new car. I’ve had mine a few weeks now just reached 750 miles of the treatment, use only premium petrol so hopefully the car will repay my kindness in the years to come 👍. Loving every minute driving it , worth the long wait!.
T5 FE, osmium grey