XC40 First Edition

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bob

Post by Bob »

Is there anybody in the forum that has recently taken delivery of an XC40 FE that is definitely an MY2019 model, and have received their V5C from the DVLA?
i.e. someone who ordered in the two weeks after the launch date and they have only recently received the car.

If so what is the model listed as?

I am asking because mine has now arrived at the dealer, I'm collecting it in 10 days, I have today received a "Confirmation of Registration Details" form from the dealer on which the Model is listed as an "XC40 T5 AWD R-Design". I fear that this is the model that will appear on my V5C, which if it is, after doing a price comparison online of a T5 R-Design and an T5 FE, there is a used car price difference of over £5,000, which I will not be very happy about!

Hopefully my V5C will describe it correctly, but I'm just trying to get some info before I ring the dealer.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)

scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

I had the same concerns when I got my FE in July. The invoice said the same thing - R Design but I can confirm that my V5C says 'First Edition' so you should have nothing to worry about.

It's also a confirmed MY19 so everything is as it should be.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Just went digging to find this for you Bob

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=298&p=5126#p5119
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks both, hopefully all will be OK, but I will be chasing the dealer to make sure the V5C says what it should.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Bob wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:40 pm Is there anybody in the forum that has recently taken delivery of an XC40 FE that is definitely an MY2019 model, and have received their V5C from the DVLA?
i.e. someone who ordered in the two weeks after the launch date and they have only recently received the car.

If so what is the model listed as?

I am asking because mine has now arrived at the dealer, I'm collecting it in 10 days, I have today received a "Confirmation of Registration Details" form from the dealer on which the Model is listed as an "XC40 T5 AWD R-Design". I fear that this is the model that will appear on my V5C, which if it is, after doing a price comparison online of a T5 R-Design and an T5 FE, there is a used car price difference of over £5,000, which I will not be very happy about!

Hopefully my V5C will describe it correctly, but I'm just trying to get some info before I ring the dealer.

Bob
Thanks Bob for bringing it to the attention of Forum Members.
I take delivery of a First Edition next week and on my Confirmation of Registration Details, which I have recently received, it also states the Model Type as being "R-Design" without any reference to First Edition.
On the same form it states the following "This is the final step for Registration. You will not be able to amend the registration details later"
I have emailed the Dealer concerning the matter and hopefully "First Edition" will appear on the vehicle registration documentation.
We all know the XC40 First Edition is a fully loaded R-Design, but importantly my insurance company and the motor trade accept "First Edition" as being a particular model type and therefore needs to be documented as such.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FE | D4 | AWD | Crystal White | Charcoal | 20" Wheels | Polestar | Ordered 14th March | Delivery now 9th October
Bob

Post by Bob »

Well I've just had a prolonged conversation with the sales manager at my local dealer as to what my car will be called on the V5C. He is convinced that because it is an MY2019 model and Volvo only had a CAP description for MY2018 models as First Editions, mine will say it is an R-Design on the V5C. I tried to explain that other owners that have taken delivery in June/July, although their invoices stated R-Design the V5C forms showed them as FEs. His answer to this was they must have been 2108 models, but I pointed out that the VINs showed they were 2019 (i.e. 10th character is a 'K'), but he kept referring back to there being no CAP for the MY2019 models so they couldn't be described as FEs on the V5C.

He tried to allay my concerns that there would be a difference in resale value depending on the model description, by telling me that the MY2019 FEs were created based on T5 and D4 R-Designs only and a "special pack" was created to get them to meet the MY2018 FE specification and that this would therefore increase their value as this 'pack' would be known about. I'm not wholly convinced by this argument, whenever I try and trade-in a car in they are generally not interested in what 'packs' it may have fitted and offer the base price for that model!
He also tried to point out that I was still getting a great deal as the FEs were heavily discounted, which they were and is why I wanted one, but this is pointless if that discount is written off by the vehicles re-sale value!

I am seriously reconsidering whether I now want this car, and told him as much, but based on chingf0rd's experience, I suspect the dealership may have it wrong and it will be described as an FE on the V5C. Anyway, the dealer is going to try and get more info from Volvo and get back to me.

Has anybody more recently taken delivery of a MY2019 FE and received their V5C?
Also, can you remember how the car was described on your "Confirmation of Registration Details" form? Did it match the description on your V5C?
AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Hi All. Took delivery of T5 FE 26 September, it’s letter K so a MY19. The V5C description is “XC40 FIRST EDITION T5 AWD AUTO”. The new vehicle order says “XC40 2.0 T5 250ho First Edition AU AWD” I never got a confirmation of registration form. Hopefully your V5C will come through correctly
T5 FE Bursting Blue 19” Wheels plus Towbar
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

The words 'A rose by any other name' springs to mind here.

Whatever the dealer tells you (and I had a similar conversation with mine before I received the V5C) the car you ordered and will be receiving is still a First Edition. Your insurance company and the motor trade will recognise your car as an FE and therefore the book value will be based on this no matter how the dealer tries to convince you otherwise and as you've already seen from others, the V5C says as much - to the letter. This is the most important document as it's the be all and end all of the car's description and is what any future values are based upon, regardless of what any other document may read.

As I've mentioned already, my 'Confirmation of Registration Details' form from the DVLA with the registration number on it states 'XC40 D4 AWD R-Design' yet my V5C when it arrived states 'XC40 FIRST EDITION D4 AWD AUTO' and that's all I care about. I've yet to read or hear about any other FE owner about their V5C saying anything other than First Edition and as it's an official trim level, I'd be surprised if there were any. In any case, I'm sure the dealers couldn't sell you a car officially designated as 'First Edition' if ultimately that's not what it turns out to be and my order form indeed reads 'Volvo XC40 2.0 D4 190hp First Edition Auto AWD'

I'm sure on my original order form it said MY19 and certainly the Volvo On-Call app acknowledges that it's a MY19. I too have a 'K' as the 10th letter (which designates model year) in my VIN so can confirm it's a MY19 just from that alone.
Last edited by scottpcs on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks Andy and scottpcs.
The dealer has been in touch with the Product Manager, Volvo U.K. Ltd, and here is his reply:
It should show First Edition, but we are aware of a few that have come through showing just R-Design which we’ve amended with the DVLA, as it definitely should say First Edition.
So panic over! ;)
All my fears are now allayed :D

Cheers

Bob
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Bob wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:52 pm Thanks Andy and scottpcs.
The dealer has been in touch with the Product Manager, Volvo U.K. Ltd, and here is his reply:
It should show First Edition, but we are aware of a few that have come through showing just R-Design which we’ve amended with the DVLA, as it definitely should say First Edition.
So panic over! ;)
All my fears are now allayed :D

Cheers

Bob
Pleased you have the matter resolved Bob.
I collected my FE yesterday and was given firm assurances it would read "First Edition" on the DVLA Documentation.
The FE is a beautiful car and I was definitely going to advise you not to cancel.
Informed yesterday at the Volvo Dealership when receiving the last of their FE orders, that the car was in such demand another branch of the Dealership had sold an unwanted First Edition order for £45K, due to more than one person wanting to purchase.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FE | D4 | AWD | Crystal White | Charcoal | 20" Wheels | Polestar | Ordered 14th March | Collected 9th October |