Newly ordered XC40...but being tempted by Q5

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Hi all

Have been a frequent visitor on this forum since I ordered my XC40 (Inscription: Intellisafe surround + 360 camera + tinted rear windows) middle of September. Was really looking forward to it. However have just received an expected delivery date of early Feb. This is more than what the dealer first indicated (late Dec/early Jan), and would take it to a 4-5 months wait. I know this seems to be the average and that there's a chance the date could be brought forward, but I'm being tempted by second hand deals on 1 year old Q5s as there looks to be decent spec Q5s available now for pretty much the same price I paid for my XC40.

Is there anybody who has come from a Q5 to the XC40 (or vice versa!)? If so would love their input. Pros of the XC40 to me are: newer car so fresher design; newer tech with more included as standard; smaller (big plus for me living in London with no dedicated parking space); cheaper in total. However if you could get either a new XC40 at this spec, or a 1 year old mid-spec Q5, which would you go for and why? I know it's totally personal and individual but would love to hear people's thoughts. Can't get rid of the nagging feeling that I can get a (normally) more expensive car for the same price as a XC40....
T4 Inscription: Pine Grey, Blond interior + Intellisafe Surround + 360 camera + rear tinted windows. Ordered mid-Sep 2018, delivered 6th Feb 2019.

Dutchie01

Post by Dutchie01 »

If you are talking about the latest model Q5 and with a decent engine and kit it would be a no brainer for me as it will be a step up compared to the XC40. If its the old model Q5 then dont bother.
I like my XCT4 R design, like the styling, overall package, excellent chassis and for a SUV the compact size and short wheelbase. Makes it a great car for city driving you can throw it around like a golf!
The Q5 is priced higher and is bigger roomier and in my idea a more comfortable and relaxed long distance tourer. Classy car especially with an electronic cockpit and in a decent color. Not really a choice for me i would go for the Audi. ( make sure you get a 2 yr warranty minimum)
ZED

Post by ZED »

Bobby wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:24 pm Hi all

Have been a frequent visitor on this forum since I ordered my XC40 (Inscription: Intellisafe surround + 360 camera + tinted rear windows) middle of September. Was really looking forward to it. However have just received an expected delivery date of early Feb. This is more than what the dealer first indicated (late Dec/early Jan), and would take it to a 4-5 months wait. I know this seems to be the average and that there's a chance the date could be brought forward, but I'm being tempted by second hand deals on 1 year old Q5s as there looks to be decent spec Q5s available now for pretty much the same price I paid for my XC40.

Is there anybody who has come from a Q5 to the XC40 (or vice versa!)? If so would love their input. Pros of the XC40 to me are: newer car so fresher design; newer tech with more included as standard; smaller (big plus for me living in London with no dedicated parking space); cheaper in total. However if you could get either a new XC40 at this spec, or a 1 year old mid-spec Q5, which would you go for and why? I know it's totally personal and individual but would love to hear people's thoughts. Can't get rid of the nagging feeling that I can get a (normally) more expensive car for the same price as a XC40....
I am moving from an Audi SQ5 V6 bi-turbo full spec + . This is the second I’ve had, the first one was written off in a flood. I fancy something new, smaller with a high spec and a reasonable price. The SQ5 cost me £55k.

ZED
XC40 D4 FE Polestar Crystal White. Charcoal Interior. 20” Wheels. Ordered 16 March, 2018
Original ETA June 2018 - now end of October 2018
senwar

Post by senwar »

I have been an Audi man for years, just love the cars (2x TT's, 2x A5's). My last car was a Golf GTE which I thought was just an Audi with a VW badge, but no chance, not a patch on quality.

When I was looking around I shortlisted the XC60 and Q5. Had extended test drives in both and chose the XC60. The Q5 was boring, actually felt VERY dated inside and I hate the stick on screen type thing they have. Really spoils the cabin. I was very surprised as I thought the XC60 would be too minimal but it felt head and shoulders above the Audi.

Obviously I don't have the 60, as I changed to an XC40 due to the model year change and price increase. However, the 40 also feels tons better than the Q5. OK I know its more aligned to the Q3 but I don't regret it at all and feel the XC40 is just the better, nicer car. The Q5 looks far too 'modular'. For info, I was going for the s-line as well, so not a base model either. I prefer the tech in the Volvo as well. Just feels better.

For me it depends on how quickly you want a car. Personally, I'd wait especially if you're not going for a new Q5.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Yosh

Post by Yosh »

I think size is the deciding factor. The small size, yet roomy interior of the XC40 makes it a great city vehicle.
isleaiw

Post by isleaiw »

senwar wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:56 pm I have been an Audi man for years, just love the cars (2x TT's, 2x A5's). My last car was a Golf GTE which I thought was just an Audi with a VW badge, but no chance, not a patch on quality.

When I was looking around I shortlisted the XC60 and Q5. Had extended test drives in both and chose the XC60. The Q5 was boring, actually felt VERY dated inside and I hate the stick on screen type thing they have. Really spoils the cabin. I was very surprised as I thought the XC60 would be too minimal but it felt head and shoulders above the Audi.

Obviously I don't have the 60, as I changed to an XC40 due to the model year change and price increase. However, the 40 also feels tons better than the Q5. OK I know its more aligned to the Q3 but I don't regret it at all and feel the XC40 is just the better, nicer car. The Q5 looks far too 'modular'. For info, I was going for the s-line as well, so not a base model either. I prefer the tech in the Volvo as well. Just feels better.

For me it depends on how quickly you want a car. Personally, I'd wait especially if you're not going for a new Q5.
And that’s why not all cars are the same. I have a Q5 - well SQ5 to be precise, and love the interior, simple easy to use, no trying to hit touchscreen buttons on the move, and I have the virtual cockpit which gives great data right in front of you, assuming you look there and don’t rely on the HUD.

Sadly Audi are also going for touchscreens on new models - so it’s looking like BMW will be the only ones offering the better (in my view) rotary dial and menus.

I also looked at the XC60 (T8) but the SQ5 was better suited to what I needed and had the interior quality I wanted.