UK/Euro Spec XC40 Front Number Plate Bracket

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
dalmato80

Post by dalmato80 »

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a Volvo parts supplier in the UK or Europe (hopefully English speaking) where I could order a UK/Europe spec front number plate bracket for my upcoming XC40.

In Australia our number plates are generally smaller (around 370mm long) and Volvo Car Australia gets all cars in with slightly smaller brackets (see pic with silver R-Design)

We have a lot of different number plate styles in Australia and one of them is a replica of European 520mm x 111mm plates. These are the plates I have and they’re also personalised. But when my car comes they won’t fit properly, have about 10mm either side hanging over and it’s gonna bug me because it will look crap (yes I’m OCD!).

Volvo Car Australia told me they won’t bring in Europe spec number plate holders, giving a lame excuse of they’re not tested for the Australian market and they can’t be held liable blah blah blah...

So I’m after advice from anyone where I could order the bracket in either the UK or Europe (like in grey Momentum pic). I thought of contacting Volvo Car UK but fear I’d get the same response as Volvo Car Oz. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. I’d love to be able pick my car up and have it absolutely perfect on the first day. Thanks for reading!

0539C336-0114-4F29-BFFC-4766DF2E3731.jpeg

21AA8A39-77CA-493F-B8E2-47FCFE42999B.jpeg

be0ne

Post by be0ne »

XC40 T3 R-Design (+packs & options) ordered in March - delivered August.
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

I've just put personalised plates on our XC40 the small plate works OK on the rear but it looks like the Euro fitting front plate mount would suit the reduced width private plate at the front, at the moment we have a full size UK plate because of the plate holder that's given me an idea to maybe change to the smaller one.
good links be0ne
First Edition T5 20” wheels not just a 245bhp 4x4 ipad.
dalmato80

Post by dalmato80 »

Thanks so much for your help be0ne! Ive sent an enquiry so hopefully its the Euro Market version!
be0ne

Post by be0ne »

You're welcome, I hope it will fit :)
XC40 T3 R-Design (+packs & options) ordered in March - delivered August.
matt_4791

Post by matt_4791 »

johnbluerio wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:55 pm I've just put personalised plates on our XC40 the small plate works OK on the rear but it looks like the Euro fitting front plate mount would suit the reduced width private plate at the front, at the moment we have a full size UK plate because of the plate holder that's given me an idea to maybe change to the smaller one.
good links be0ne
Did you ever find a solution to this? Looking to put a 5 digit personalised plate on my wife’s XC40. The smaller euro plate holder would look much better. Did you find anywhere to purchase one? Thanks.
K1t

Post by K1t »

Hi, I found that you don`t need to fit/use any form of number plate backing at all. Remove the existing plate to expose the original 6mm bolts holding the backing/mounting plate on, put the mounting plate over your new plates, mark the holes and drill thro`. You will find that std. 6mm nylon n-plate fixing bolts fit directly into the original tapped mounting holes. See pics..........neat-n-tidy to me.

IMG_3373.JPG

IMG_3374.JPG

XC40 T3 R-Design (as it comes, no frills) FWD, Manual, my2020, 163bhp, Crystal White, Tempa Spare Wheel Kit, Folding boot floor, Sunglasses Holder. Paintwork/Trim sealed with Zirconite Quartz Nano Coating, Park assist camera kit (self fit)
JohnMac

Post by JohnMac »

Hello all - I’m in the process of putting a ‘short’ number plate on my FE and considering the different options.

I’m tempted by the clean lines of ‘no screws’ but not sure if the ‘sticky pads’ will stick long-term to the back plastic bumper. Also not hugely keen to use sticky pads direct onto paintwork at the front (if I remove the current backing plate, to avoid any overhangs).

My new plate measures 390mm long x the standard (UK) 111mm wide and can’t find a backing plate or holder to suit.

I’m thinking of following the route mentioned above (looks great K1t...!!) but keen to hear how others have done it and any other suggestions.

Thanks for reading and thanks, in advance, for any responses..!!
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

JohnMac wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:15 pm Hello all - I’m in the process of putting a ‘short’ number plate on my FE and considering the different options.

I’m tempted by the clean lines of ‘no screws’ but not sure if the ‘sticky pads’ will stick long-term to the back plastic bumper. Also not hugely keen to use sticky pads direct onto paintwork at the front (if I remove the current backing plate, to avoid any overhangs).

My new plate measures 390mm long x the standard (UK) 111mm wide and can’t find a backing plate or holder to suit.

I’m thinking of following the route mentioned above (looks great K1t...!!) but keen to hear how others have done it and any other suggestions.

Thanks for reading and thanks, in advance, for any responses..!!
Your best option is don’t bother as you’ll be breaking the law!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
nks

Post by nks »

Thank you everyone for posting - this thread was very helpful. I recently took delivery of my XC40 and wanted to change the dealer number plates for private ones. The dealer just used the double sided sticky tape approach. I felt it would be better to use screws / bolts (and sticky tape to be extra sure!). The front plate sits on the Volvo supplied frame (which I think is called "Number Plate ADAPTer 1 'EU'" - listed on detailed specifications of UK supplied cars if you look very hard but not immediately obvious what the heck it is supposed to be!). This has a number of small holes which are effectively pilot holes to use self tapping screws to attach the number plate (there's a larger blob of plastic behind that the screw bites in to). There are several options - some of which I've highlighted in red in the attached photos (depending on your number/letter combination you can chose the holes that will work best). The adapter attaches to the bumper using two machine bolts which I think are size M6 (I used a 6.5mm drill to make the holes for these bolts, but just a 5.5mm drill for the self-tapping screws). The rear bumper also has two holes with the same size captive nuts as the front (I checked by using the old from the front to satisfy myself they were the same size). I used Halfords nylon number plate fixing bolts to attach the rear plate (I would have been happier with steel nuts, but they don't come in the yellow / black colours - I suspect that the caps supplied with the smaller / narrower self-tapping screws would not accommodate the bigger nuts).

I hope my additional photos / information might be helpful to others that have been scouring the internet for 'official' Volvo guidance. I guess most people never change the dealer fitted plate and as very few people maintain their own cars there is no general literature out there on things like this - heck even the owner manuals are just online these days and not that comprehensive.

IMG_6045.jpeg

IMG_6044.jpeg

IMG_6049.jpeg

IMG_6050.jpeg