Lane Mitigation

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Taff

Post by Taff »

I am wondering how others are finding the lane mitigation system, I only picked mine up yesterday and find it very strange having to fight the steering wheel to change lane unless you indicate to pull out and then indicate to move back into the lane.
I was joining a dual carriage way today and the road was empty and as I went to cross the white lines where the slip road joins the dual carriageway the steering was trying to keep me from joining.

I think its one of those that has to be turned off at the start of each journey, unless someone knows different.
Ordered XC40 D3 Inscription Automatic, Pine Grey, Charcoal Leather, Winter Pack, Rear Parking Camera, Tempra Spare Wheel. (Ordered 23/5/18) Delivered 20th September 2018.

GerVO

Post by GerVO »

I have turned it off on day one....
Db55

Post by Db55 »

It’s Volvos way of teaching BMW and Audi drivers what indicators are for!.
T5 FE, osmium grey
Alistair72

Post by Alistair72 »

I also turned it off on day one and happy that it does not need turning off before every journey!
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’m afraid I’m struggling to find sympathy when that’s what you’re meant to do when changing lane!
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

hdasmith wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:59 am I’m afraid I’m struggling to find sympathy when that’s what you’re meant to do when changing lane!
Seconded!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
PC40

Post by PC40 »

Just use the indicators. It’s not a German car!
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
trjim2k5

Post by trjim2k5 »

I've been using it for 4 years on my V40 with no issues. A couple of times it has prevented me from accidentally changing lanes. I think it's a good feature. Of course you have to indicate every time you need to change lanes, but that's what you're supposed to do anyway!
XC40 | Inscription Pro | D3 FWD Auto | Denim Blue | Ordered 29/03/18 | Delivered 29/09/18
Bob

Post by Bob »

If I see a driver using indicators all the time, even when there is nobody that could possibly benefit from that indication, I treat that driver with extreme caution as this is possibly someone who is not fully aware of all that is going on around them and is likely to indicate and carry out their manoeuvre whether they have checked it's safe to do so, or not.

All U.K. advanced training organisations, including trainers in the Police force, the IAM, and RoSPA, train their Drivers (and motorcycle riders) to only indicate if there is another road user (including pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists, etc.) who would benefit from that indication.

For example, if you are following me down the motorway, in the same lane,, at the same or a slower speed, and there is nothing coming down the lane to my right, you will not see me indicate to change lane so I can pass another vehicle. Similarly, I will not indicate to return to my original lane when I've completed my overtake unless there is another vehicle further ahead that may pull into the lane I am about to enter. However, if the car I was about to overtake had another vehicle in front of it, and it wasn't obvious that they may pull out to overtake it, I may indicate to let them know my intention of overtaking them.

Therefore, I think I may be switching off this lane mitigation gizmo as it will severely interfere with my standard of driving. Unless I'm in Spain, or similar countries, where I believe the law insists that you must use indicators whenever you pull out to overtake, and when you move back into your lane after the overtake, whether there is anyone it will help/benefit or not.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

Whatever happened to Mirror, Signal Manoeuvre and the days of trafficators ,
is it not one of the first things that everyone is taught when learning to drive,
although hand signals are no longer used if you don't indicate you often get a reminder by hand gesture.
You didn't need to wear seat belts when Volvo first installed them.
First Edition T5 20” wheels not just a 245bhp 4x4 ipad.