Lane Mitigation

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bob

Post by Bob »

Taff wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:00 pm Thats correct indicate to return to lane.
Nooooooooo! :lol:
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)

Alistair72

Post by Alistair72 »

It will remain turned off in my car. I don’t need technology to keep me driving within my lane and I will indicate as I always do. All the other safety systems in the car are left on because I feel they are genuinely useful.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Apologies for my long post last night. It is not something I would normally do on-line as it can lead to long debates and discussions that I just don't have the time and patience for. Having just polished off a bottle of wine, followed by a G&T, I'm afraid the alcohol got the better of me, and as I'm currently a driver of a German car it was more in response to the reference to teaching German car drivers what indicators are for. :lol:

Nevertheless, I do stand by what I said.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against anyone who wishes to use their indicators for every occasion (my wife does this, and I wouldn't dare try telling her she is wrong :o ), in fact I would much rather they do this than not use their indicators when they should. I think I mentioned in my previous post that I find it annoying when someone leaves a roundabout prior to my entry point without indicating.
However, if I see someone who does always indicate when it is of no benefit to anyone, I will always treat that driver with extra care, especially when I'm on my motorcycle and therefore more vulnerable, I will consider that they may not be fully aware of what is going on around them. They may just indicate and pull out without looking.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Hi Bob, I respect your knowledge, and in theory, you’re probably right. Given where you live, I’m sure you’ve used the M62 lots of times. The Huddersfield hill from Leeds, in particular, is easy to get lots of hidden sight lines from lorries working out which lane, buses overtaking crawlers, Range Rovers bombing up the outside lane. I still check my mirrors and speed every 6 seconds as taught. Always check my blind spot before making a manoeuvre. Always looking up the road, and behind to check for problems ahead that will become my problem. I still get caught out because of the unpredictability of others.

With regards to pulling back in, again, in theory, I agree. Always try to leave enough room that it should never be a problem. My own rule of thumb is that I won’t pull back in until I can clearly see the car in the lane I’ve overtaken in my rear view mirror. Unfortunately, it doesn’t stop them putting their foot down when I already half way back into that lane, and they try and undertake me.

Like you, I hate it when people think indicating gives them the right regardless.

We get additional lessons every three years at work, no one has once complained I indicate too much. I do plan on doing the AIM advanced drivers course, and a skid pan day very soon. I’ll be interested to see what they say about my driving. Doesn’t mean I’ll agree with everything I’m told - I question everything until convinced otherwise.

On that note, I’m going to leave it there on this subject, because until someone gives me actual facts and figures with sources, my own experience tells me better to indicate as I do than less. Feel free to give me a wide berth, all the more space for the unpredictable.

[edit 10 mins later] That last comment makes me seem like a self riteous idiot. What I mean by experience is actual lessons, tests and time with experts. Not, I’ll do what I want because I know best attitude. Always happy to be proven wrong and improve my driving.
Last edited by hdasmith on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
PC40

Post by PC40 »

Bob wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:32 am Apologies for my long post last night. It is not something I would normally do on-line as it can lead to long debates and discussions that I just don't have the time and patience for. Having just polished off a bottle of wine, followed by a G&T, I'm afraid the alcohol got the better of me, and as I'm currently a driver of a German car it was more in response to the reference to teaching German car drivers what indicators are for. :lol:

Nevertheless, I do stand by what I said.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against anyone who wishes to use their indicators for every occasion (my wife does this, and I wouldn't dare try telling her she is wrong :o ), in fact I would much rather they do this than not use their indicators when they should. I think I mentioned in my previous post that I find it annoying when someone leaves a roundabout prior to my entry point without indicating.
However, if I see someone who does always indicate when it is of no benefit to anyone, I will always treat that driver with extra care, especially when I'm on my motorcycle and therefore more vulnerable, I will consider that they may not be fully aware of what is going on around them. They may just indicate and pull out without looking.
Hi Bob, sorry if I offended you by my German car comment. If you drove the M25 regularly you’d know what I meant. I find Blis very good as the car does have some blind spots and it’s use is not intrusive just a passive reminder. The lane mitigation can be overridden with a little effort or a quick flick of the indicator. If you make a deliberate steering input it won’t interfere, it’s designed to stop the Lane wanderer.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
johnbluerio

Post by johnbluerio »

Mirror Signal Manoeuvre - nuff said.
First Edition T5 20” wheels not just a 245bhp 4x4 ipad.
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Neither side on this are wrong and I wouldn't be more wary of someone who indicates to pull back in, many more clues in people's driving can indicate a bad/excessively cautious driver rather than that one thing alone.

Going to state the obvious now but indicators are their to inform other road users of your intentions. You might see pulling back into the inside lane as not needed but as an advanced driver i am assessing the road including all my lanes for other cars positions and looking for space to move out if needed. You might not perceive indicating to move back as being necessary but someone may find it helpful who are further back and are looking at making a decision early on what they need to do in response to your cars position.

Many of times I've pulled out of one lane but to find a few seconds later the other car drifts back without indicating. Which annoys the hell out of me. As if I knew that was their
Intension I would have stayed where I was.

Ofc if the road is totally empty then yes pointless as the phase "if a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound" comes to mind but again can understand people do this out of habit which isn't a bad thing.
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
xc40fun

Post by xc40fun »

Bob, surely the vehicle you are overtaking benefit from you indicating your intention to change lanes. It may focus that driver's mind that you are going to overtake him?

I indicate regardless. Make it a subconscious habit and I don't have to think about my steps and concentrate on more important things, like my surroundings. :)

I keep my lane mitigation option on, one of those things that you never know you might need it.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 4WD [190] | Bright Silver with Lava interior | 19" wheels | Ordered 12/02/18 - ETA 10/04/18 - Arrived 13/04/18
Bob

Post by Bob »

xc40fun wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:24 am Bob, surely the vehicle you are overtaking benefit from you indicating your intention to change lanes. It may focus that driver's mind that you are going to overtake him?
If the driver of a vehicle hasn't already noticed you in their rear view mirror as you've approached them, then it is very unlikely they'll notice your indication.
They don't even see me when I approach them from behind with blue lights and sirens on. On more than one occasion I've approached a vehicle in the third lane of the motorway going less than the speed limit, that had plenty of room to move into the second lane, though to try and pass them on the inside would have been more unsafe for me. In this situation I stay a respectful distance behind them so that they aren't too shocked and panicked when they suddenly/eventually see an emergency vehicle behind them (i.e. not to put pressure on them by being too close), and then wait a short while to see if they eventually see me. Generally they don't, so I'll weave from side to side in my lane, this change of position across the lane normally draws their attention to me (easy on a motorcycle, I can use the full width of the lane, giving plenty of movement to catch their attention, I don't know what a car would do).
If attention can't be drawn to the inattentive motorist by a vehicle fully lit up with blue lights and a flashing full beam headlight, a small flashing amber light isn't going to do much good. :)

I used to always indicate when I was going to overtake a vehicle, be it on a single carriage way, a two lane dual carriageway, or on the motorway, for the very reason that you suggest, it may draw the attention of a driver that hadn't seen me approach from the rear. I only started to consider not doing so when on one of my many retests, many years ago, the examiner (a servicing Police officer and driving/riding trainer) questioned me on my reasons for doing so, after a long discussion, and some consideration of what they said, together with my experience of real life events, I stopped indicating for overtakes. Unless, of course, someone will benefit, and there are too many occasions that I could mention when I would indicate in this situation, but I'll give a couple of obvious examples. If there are two vehicles ahead, and I've observed the vehicle following the lead vehicle sufficiently to believe they are not going to overtake, then I will indicate to that following vehicle to let them know I intend to overtake. Similarly, if I've been behind a slower vehicle for some time where there have been no overtaking opportunities, and another vehicle approaches me from behind, when an overtaking opportunity arises I will indicate to the vehicle behind me that I intend to overtake the vehicle in front of me.

I don't know how many on here experience this, but I normally know exactly what the vehicle ahead of me is going to do well before they indicate, by observing how they are driving, their road position and their head movement amongst other things. Even if you can only see them in their side mirrors, where they are looking gives a lot of information away. I think being a motorcyclist helps with this skill, it helps keep me alive. ;)

It's beginning to sound like I'm preaching, that is not my intention, as I said in one of my earlier posts, I'd rather people indicate all the time than not at all, although the former can lead to confusion in some circumstances.

If anybody reading this has ever thought about doing an advanced driving course, stop thinking, just do it, I'm sure you'll find it a revelation. I would challenge anybody, no matter how experienced they are, or think they are, not to learn something from it.
If you are also a motorcyclist, then definitely take an advanced riding course, it could save your life.
With the Institute of Advanced Motorists either course costs only £149 (though the motorcyclists may also have to pay a contribution to the Observers petrol costs) which is, in my (obviously biased) opinion a bargain.
Being a member of the IAM also gives you a good discount off Volvo cars too, the discount I got for my forthcoming XC40 was as good, if not better, that most of the popular brokers were offering.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Below is what I ride when I'm on duty. To be fair, most motorist do see it early, even when it's not lit up, but you'd be surprised how many don't when it is!
It is a BMW R1200 RT-P, the 'P' relates to it being a Police spec bike (so I believe) which can only be purchased by emergency services.

R1200RT-P Russel.jpg