XC40 or Jaguar E Pace torn between the two. Help.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gfplux

Post by Gfplux »

Having decided in November with my heart over my head to order an E Pace I picked it up this week.
I have the P200 S. The petrol engine and equipped one up from basic. I also added a number of options.
The Jaguar replaces a BMW X5 Diesel as we were downsizing a little.
After a few days I am glad my heart ruled my head. It’s frankly all about the styling and I love it.

I wrote the above in March. Now three months on I am still very happy with my Jag. My heart has not been let down.
One surprising aspect of the Jag is how quiet it is.
OK, first I swapped from a Diesel, but I was worried the all weather tyres would be noisy. Nothing, nada.
The drive on motorways is a quiet dream, no engine, tyre or wind noise and the P200 engine is fast.

I still think the XC40 would have been a good choice but having chosen the Jag I have no regrets.
Last edited by Gfplux on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luxembourg
Jaguar P200 S Auto AWD Santorini Black with Black Pack, Light Oyster leather seats and headlining. All season Michelin tyres.
Ordered November 2018 delivered early March 2019

City car FIAT 500 1.4 LOUNGE Metallic Grey RED leather seats

elysio

Post by elysio »

I had an E-Pace as a loaner car for a day back when I had a land rover, and I think overall I prefer the XC40 more. E-Pace felt a little bit more sporty, there are some interior design that I really like (especially the shifter), but I think XC40 has better infotainment setup, larger/more useful interior space (E-Pace felt smaller in back seat and trunk), and better exterior look.

Also the E-Pace navigation map failed to initialize MULTIPLE times upon starting the car within that one day I had it, not looking good for its reliability...
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I looked at one too. What put me off was reports on reliability and particularly the weight which meant the 2ltr diesel was so slow compared to the XC40. I didn't get to test drive one but I did test drive an F Pace diesel which was awful and when they said the E pace was heavier and slower it just didn't get a look in.
mistercesq

Post by mistercesq »

E Pace is based on an antiquated platform and is hugely heavy. I have an XC40 T5 First Edition and its an unreliable steaming pile of manure. I am sure others though have had better experiences. I would look at the new Audi Q3 or BMW X2 if I were you. Just my 2 pence worth.
johnd

Post by johnd »

It's interesting - I'm in the middle of much the same dilemma, though my shortlist doesn't include the E-Pace - I really don't care for the rather boring but porky way it looks, but that's obviously just me. Worth remembering that the E-Pace is made in Austria by Magna Steyr and so the build quality should be good (though that obviously doesn't mean that any design or drive-train flaws won't still surface).

My shortlist is XC40 T5 P* or Q3 45 TFSI or new Evoque 300. Quite like the distinctive and almost cheeky way that the XC40 looks and there's a lot of thoughtful design elements, but don't like the 1970's retro mainframe terminal look of the centre console nor the infotainment screen layout (suspect that the new Android version will be significantly better, whenever it emerges). And I'm frustrated by how the XC40 divides options up between models, eg I'd like driftwood trim but I do want paddles just as one example, but for some bizarre reason that's not an allowed combination.

Q3 has so-so looks and even the 45 TFSI doesn't really have enough power though does have a DSG gearbox and hence a more efficient drive-train. Not mad about the Evoque styling either but it clearly trumps everything else in terms of premium interior quality. Decent 300bhp power but it's essentially as heavy as an E-Pace and so power/weight (or should I say torque/weight, which is usually more important) probably is no better than the Q3. The other real UK-built Evoque concern would be JLR build and service quality of course. (Evoque is a more costly choice, but not major factor for me - I just want a reasonably powerful and premium compact crossover/SUV that's around 4.4m long!)

I really can't decide at present despite a lot of agonising and test drives. In truth, none of them quite hit the spot for me - it's more a question of trying to decide which of them is the most inviting compromise!
Gfplux

Post by Gfplux »

johnd wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:57 pm It's interesting - I'm in the middle of much the same dilemma, though my shortlist doesn't include the E-Pace - I really don't care for the rather boring but porky way it looks, but that's obviously just me. Worth remembering that the E-Pace is made in Austria by Magna Steyr and so the build quality should be good (though that obviously doesn't mean that any design or drive-train flaws won't still surface).

My shortlist is XC40 T5 P* or Q3 45 TFSI or new Evoque 300. Quite like the distinctive and almost cheeky way that the XC40 looks and there's a lot of thoughtful design elements, but don't like the 1970's retro mainframe terminal look of the centre console nor the infotainment screen layout (suspect that the new Android version will be significantly better, whenever it emerges). And I'm frustrated by how the XC40 divides options up between models, eg I'd like driftwood trim but I do want paddles just as one example, but for some bizarre reason that's not an allowed combination.

Q3 has so-so looks and even the 45 TFSI doesn't really have enough power though does have a DSG gearbox and hence a more efficient drive-train. Not mad about the Evoque styling either but it clearly trumps everything else in terms of premium interior quality. Decent 300bhp power but it's essentially as heavy as an E-Pace and so power/weight (or should I say torque/weight, which is usually more important) probably is no better than the Q3. The other real UK-built Evoque concern would be JLR build and service quality of course. (Evoque is a more costly choice, but not major factor for me - I just want a reasonably powerful and premium compact crossover/SUV that's around 4.4m long!)

I really can't decide at present despite a lot of agonising and test drives. In truth, none of them quite hit the spot for me - it's more a question of trying to decide which of them is the most inviting compromise!
The weight of the E Pace was something that worried me as in the early reviews this was often mentioned. Interestingly later reviewers don’t mention it. After 5 days of ownership I have not noticed any lack of power (P200 auto awd)
For me the look of the Volvo in the end lost it for Volvo. The Q3 was on my list but fell off as I see it as a very common look with so many on the road. The new Evoque was not on offer during my search September -November 2018.
In the end the style and badge of the jaguar won my order. Plus even in Luxembourg the F and E pace are few and far between on the road although that is rapidly changing.
You should give the E Pace a test drive perhaps.
Luxembourg
Jaguar P200 S Auto AWD Santorini Black with Black Pack, Light Oyster leather seats and headlining. All season Michelin tyres.

johnd

Post by johnd »

Gfplux wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:59 pm You should give the E Pace a test drive perhaps.
Really hope that you enjoy your choice - I'm guessing that it must be the best fit to your requirements. But suspect that my priorities may be somewhat different and the various YT reviews suggest that it's probably not the model for me. OTOH the facelift E-Pace might be different enough to appeal, but that still seems to be at least a year or two away. Still feels like it's a toss-up between XC40 or Q3 for me (2019 Evoque has some strong features, especially the dash quality, HUD etc, but also some distinctly less appealing aspects.)
Blue Velvet

Post by Blue Velvet »

Gfplux wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:12 pm After 12 years driving BMW X5 Diesel (first for 4 years second for 8 years both from new) I am about to return to petrol and also change brands.
I am now close to choosing between Jaguar E Pace S. P200 AWD or Volvo XC40 Momentum T4 AWD. With the options etc they are very close to the same price and delivery.
Jaguar is my favourite as I have loved the brand however the Volvo is car of the year and you get a little more for the simmilar money.
Frankly just looking for a few pushes one way or the other from existing XC40 owners.
Thank you.
I was torn between the two. Like you said, pricing falls within same bracket. The decider for me after test driving the Jag, the back seats don’t go flat enough as compared to the XC40.

You go for what strikes your fancy...good luck!
Momentum Pro D3
Red Fusion ;)
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

definitely xc40 !
I have fallen into disfavour with Jaguar after 15 years of loyalty !
Gfplux

Post by Gfplux »

A short update after four months of ownership of the Jag P200 S Auto AWD and 7500k on the road.
This is very short as I don’t want to bore any XC40 happy owners

The most striking feature I have found is the QUIET!

No road noise, no wind noise, no engine noise and no squeaks and rattles.

Presently very happy with my choice.
Luxembourg