Sensus Screen Protector

All Volvo XC40 related discussions

Post by 01142007 »

Has anyone put a screen protector on the touch screen, like a mobile phone one? If so which one and from where please?

senwar

Post by senwar »

It definitely doesn’t need one. Difference with a phone is it’s in and out of pockets etc.

Only pain is fingerprints but the cleaning cloth works well.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

Post by 01142007 »

senwar wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:45 pm It definitely doesn’t need one. Difference with a phone is it’s in and out of pockets etc.

Only pain is fingerprints but the cleaning cloth works well.
Thank you
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

01142007 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:28 pm Has anyone put a screen protector on the touch screen, like a mobile phone one? If so which one and from where please?
Although I don’t get my XC40 until next month I have already bought a screen protector for it. Fitted the same thing to my current car media system and never had to wipe fingerprints off it since fitting. It’s been really good. It has a Matt finish so it also cuts out reflections. Only £7 on Amazon.
A tip for dust free fitting of the screen. 5 mins before fitting place a bowl of boiling water in the passenger footwell, stay in the car and close the doors. The steam captures any dust flying around. After 5 mins or so gently wipe the screen with a microfibre cloth and immediately fix the screen protector. Followed a demo on YouTube and it worked a treat...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

01142007 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:28 pm Has anyone put a screen protector on the touch screen, like a mobile phone one? If so which one and from where please?
Although I don’t get my XC40 until next month I have already bought a screen protector for it. Fitted the same thing to my current car media system and never had to wipe fingerprints off it since fitting. It’s been really good. It has a Matt finish so it also cuts out reflections. Only £7 on Amazon.
A tip for dust free fitting of the screen. 5 mins before fitting place a bowl of boiling water in the passenger footwell, stay in the car and close the doors. The steam captures any dust flying around. After 5 mins or so gently wipe the screen with a microfibre cloth and immediately fix the screen protector. Followed a demo on YouTube and it worked a treat...

Volvo XC90 Sensus Navigation System Screen Protector Matte Protection Film [2 Pack] Anti-Glare Anti-Reflex
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Sorry for the double post guys...
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Got my FE on Friday. First thing I did when I got home was to fit the screen protector. Took no more than 2 mins. The screen now has a lovely Matt finish which cuts out about 95% of the reflections. After a few hours playing with the settings there are no finger prints or smears on the screen.Result! :)
varavital

Post by varavital »

Rifleman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:18 pm Followed a demo on YouTube and it worked a treat...
Any chance of a link for this specific YouTube demo Rifleman?
The road is more important than the destination.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

varavital wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:35 pm
Rifleman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:18 pm Followed a demo on YouTube and it worked a treat...
Any chance of a link for this specific YouTube demo Rifleman?
Hi varavital. I watched a number of videos on YouTube which demonstrated fitting a flexible ( not tempered glass ) screen protector to an iPad to discover the basic principals. I used a number of different tips gleaned from them. Unfortunately I cleared out my YouTube history recently as I had so many XC40 related videos in there I thought it time I got rid of them so I don't have any direct links.

I've had a quick search on YouTube using "volvo sensus screen protector" but the only ones I see are for tempered glass protectors. If you search for iPad/iPhone related ones there are hundreds.

The steps I used for the particular protector I used are as follows.

1) Sit in the car passenger seat with doors closed and place a bowl of steaming water in the driver side footwell. Wait until the windows steam up. The moist atmosphere takes most of the dust particles out of the air. ( tip from fitting screen to an iPhone in a bathroom with a hot shower running )
Doing this on a bright sunny day helps as you can see floating dust particles much more easily.

2) Clean the sensus screen with a microfibre cloth to remove any visible dust particles then clean with an alcohol wipe ( spectacle cleaner pad ).

3) Stick a piece of scotch tape to top edge of the screen protector backing, leave a gap of 1 or 2mm from the top edge but extend the tape 2 or 3cm each side ( this helps to peel it off ). The sticky side of the scotch tape that extends out from the side should be facing you. Fold it back on itself so that you end up with a tab either side with no adhesive exposed.

4) Peel back about 1cm of the screen protector backing from the top edge and align the protector right up to the top edge of the sensus screen.

5) now slowly peel back the backing and let the protector fall onto the sensus screen from top to bottom a centimetre or two at a time applying very gentle pressure with a side to side rubbing action on the face of the protector.

6) If the steam did the trick you should end up with no dust behind the protector. If that's the case then use the edge of a credit card and run it down the screen top to bottom to ensure the protector is stuck firmly to the screen.

If you finished up with dust under the protector ( you see a tiny dot with a larger air bubble around it ) you can peel the protector back gently and remove the dust particles using a piece of "magic" sticky tape, just tap the tape onto the dust particle, don't press it down. Gently swipe the protector with a microfibre cloth side to side, top to bottom to reattach the protector.

With hindsight I guess I should have asked my other half to make a video clip of me performing the installation...

Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't give you direct links.
varavital

Post by varavital »

Rifleman wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:32 pm Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't give you direct links.
This certainly helps Rifleman. It's a great step by step manual :idea: . I'll give it a try later this week :) .
The road is more important than the destination.