Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Takeo M

Post by Takeo M »

Hello !

I am looking forward to receive new car.

There is listed that the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System is standard, on the specification table of this car.
I will exchange to another tires for winter. I was informed of the genuine set of 17 inches from the dealer, but it is very expensive, so I would like to install tires and wheels non-genuine.

Does this system work only with genuine wheels?
Please tell me if someone knows the mechanism.
T5 AWD Inscription / Maple Brown Metarllic

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Takeo M wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:15 pm Hello !

I am looking forward to receive new car.

There is listed that the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System is standard, on the specification table of this car.
I will exchange to another tires for winter. I was informed of the genuine set of 17 inches from the dealer, but it is very expensive, so I would like to install tires and wheels non-genuine.

Does this system work only with genuine wheels?
Please tell me if someone knows the mechanism.
I am no expert on this and I don’t have my XC40 yet but reading the manual it seems to work the same way as on my current car. You first fit your new tires & wheels, pump them up to the correct pressure then press the “calibrate tyre pressure” button in the system menus. On your next journey the car reads data from the monitoring system and sets a datum point.
Once the calibration period is over the system monitors the tyres and gives a warning if they differ from the datum point by a predetermined margin.

I am not sure how it checks but guess it’s either by checking the rotational speed of the wheel at a given road speed, a change in pressure resulting in lower/higher rotation speed, or less likely as it would require another sensor, by measuring the diameter of the tyre somehow.

Either way the calibration test should set the norm.

I’m sure someone on the forum with a mechanical background could enlighten us?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
deanio

Post by deanio »

On my Range Rover, the tyres have special valves which communicate to show the pressure. These valves can be fitted onto any tyres as mine were when replacing a tyre recently.
White T4 R Design Pro ordered 17/04/18 and supposedly arriving 30/09/18. Picked up 2nd October. :D
be0ne

Post by be0ne »

No special valves on the XC40. The TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) works as described by rifleman.

The tire pressure monitoring system measures, thanks to the ABS system, the differences in rotation speed between the different wheels in order to determine if the Inflation Pressure is correct. If the Inflation Pressure is too low, the tire diameter changes and, therefore, its rotation speed too. The tire comparison allows the system to determine if one or more tires have too low a pressure.
XC40 T3 R-Design (+packs & options) ordered in March - delivered August.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

On my Lexus it also has sensors inside each wheel as deanio which gives an independent pressure reading which I like, do you get the same reading i.e. showing each wheel with it's independent pressure reading on the XC40.
Just for info Kwik Fit damaged a sensor a couple of weeks ago on my, the cost of the sensor alone was £196, If Volvo don't run sensor within the wheels it sounds like a better system to me.
XC40 2.0 T4 Inscription Pro AWD, Crystal White with Oxide Red Leather, Heated S/W, Intellisafe Pro, H K sound, Tempa Spare Wheel, Xenium Pack, Dark Windows,.

Part Exchange - Lexus RC300h F Sport, Sonic Red, 2017.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Steve W wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 am On my Lexus it also has sensors inside each wheel as deanio which gives an independent pressure reading which I like, do you get the same reading i.e. showing each wheel with it's independent pressure reading on the XC40.
Just for info Kwik Fit damaged a sensor a couple of weeks ago on my, the cost of the sensor alone was £196, If Volvo don't run sensor within the wheels it sounds like a better system to me.
I had this system like the volvo on my last Focus . . the downside is they get quite low before it actually realises there is an issue . . it's better to check them regularly which isn't necessary if you've got the proper valve sensors. My dad did have a rant about the cost when he damaged one on his honda though.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Takeo M

Post by Takeo M »

Thank you for various answers.

As for XC40, even if non-genuine wheels are attached, it means that these can be used with simple settings.

Monitoring System is not attached to the V60 currently owned. I have experienced "flat" three times so far, but I have never noticed it while driving. I was not sensing even if the air was considerably reduced.

I am looking forward to this system.
T5 AWD Inscription / Maple Brown Metarllic
Red Rooster

Post by Red Rooster »

Does anyone know if the xc40 tells you which tyre is low?

Hope it's better than on my mazda6. Only ever went off on motorway, which is annoying as I aint checking 4 tyres on a hard shoulder, leave at next exit to find all ok. Turns out mazda's dont like anything but Bridgestone on their rims, wrongly replaced by repair centre when smart city braking malfunctioned locking wheels at 30mph on a bend 😣.
Waiting: Momentum Pro D3 Amazon Blue, due 7th Feb 19

Delivering 21st Dec, :D
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Red Rooster wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 am Does anyone know if the xc40 tells you which tyre is low?

Hope it's better than on my mazda6. Only ever went off on motorway, which is annoying as I aint checking 4 tyres on a hard shoulder, leave at next exit to find all ok. Turns out mazda's dont like anything but Bridgestone on their rims, wrongly replaced by repair centre when smart city braking malfunctioned locking wheels at 30mph on a bend 😣.
Hasn't happened to me yet but looking that the TMPS setting/diagram in the console it has a green "light" against each wheel. I presume if one tyre has low pressure the associated green light with that tyre will turn to another colour.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Mondiniho

Post by Mondiniho »

It does give you a warning as to which tyre, although unlike in my Merc GLA, it doesn't tell you what the reading is - just which tyre has a problem

After only 200 miles, I developed a slow puncture - so I wasn't sure at the time whether it was a calibration issue (it was during the heatwave, so whether tyres had expanded etc) or a genuine problem.