Dpf regeneration?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

For diesel owners have you any idea how often the dpf regenerates?
Are regenerations active, passive or both?

Tom

Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Has no one any thoughts on this?

I’m in the15 thousand miles a year range, but sometimes can go for a month of short journeys. Short journeys increase the possibility of an interrupted regen and consequent oil dilution.

I have run diesel cars for the last 20 years and only in the last two years have regenerations been more frequent (Skoda Yeti with the ‘fix’; I’ll never buy another VAG Group car).

Thus my interest in a D3. Shame the T3 mpg isn’t that good, a Mazda CX-3 auto seems to be achieving 40 mpg, a T3 auto is 5 mpg less (Honest John Real mpg) .

Lastly, I generally run cars for over a 100,000 miles (with annual services) before changing them so oil dilution is a real issue.

Tom
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Looks like I’ll have to give up on this.
I’m surprised no one any idea how often their diesel dpf regenerates.
Perhaps that is an answer in itself.

Tom
lamptramp

Post by lamptramp »

Normally with a diesel when its regenerates if you are driving at time you will not know about it, only if you monitor the actual MPG as it will drop a little bit or you may notice the idle is a little higher, there are no lights or anything to tell you. You will only notice a regen if you stop the engine whilst it is happening, you will them notice a burning smell and may the cooling fan will run, again no lights. You will only get a light if it has not fully regenerated fully several times, then you must take notice and sort it . There is no hard and fast rules when it should rege, it depends on your driving style and the lenght of trips you do. This purely from observation of the few diesel cars I have owned. I hope it helps.
Volvo XC40 Fusion Red 1st Edition T5 on order for October 2018. Took delivery 31st October 2018
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Thanks.
That’s my experience with my current 8 year old VW diesel with a dpf. Of course that is after the ‘fix’ was applied. Before the ‘fix’ it is likely that passive regenerations were taking place as I rarely noticed the fan running on switching off. Now post ‘fix’ hearing the fan running on switching off happens more often.
I am trying to get an idea regarding what happens with a more modern dpf made by Volvo.

I am just trying to get an idea in order to decide whether to buy a diesel or a petrol. I want a petrol although particulate filters for petrol engines are here already. I hesitate because T3 consumption seems to be in the middle thirties, this pushes me towards diesel. Diesels have their own dpf problems the worst of which is oil dilution. If no one regularly using their car an urban envireonement is hearing their fan running when switching off then that points me towards dpf regeneration not being a problem.

There must be owners out there using their cars predominantly in an urban environment that are regenerating on a regular basis.

Tom
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Tom, I think given the ratio of petrol to diesel being sold, I think most diesel buyers are now long distance drivers. I’d suggest you go petrol from what you’ve been describing.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

Sanqhar wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:45 pm Thanks.
That’s my experience with my current 8 year old VW diesel with a dpf. Of course that is after the ‘fix’ was applied. Before the ‘fix’ it is likely that passive regenerations were taking place as I rarely noticed the fan running on switching off. Now post ‘fix’ hearing the fan running on switching off happens more often.
I am trying to get an idea regarding what happens with a more modern dpf made by Volvo.

I am just trying to get an idea in order to decide whether to buy a diesel or a petrol. I want a petrol although particulate filters for petrol engines are here already. I hesitate because T3 consumption seems to be in the middle thirties, this pushes me towards diesel. Diesels have their own dpf problems the worst of which is oil dilution. If no one regularly using their car an urban envireonement is hearing their fan running when switching off then that points me towards dpf regeneration not being a problem.

There must be owners out there using their cars predominantly in an urban environment that are regenerating on a regular basis.

Tom
Tom, even the manual for the petrol variants suggest to keep the revs moving and to limit the amount of short journeys due to the petrol particulate filter.
I knew Peugeot were fitting PPF's to their cars but I didn't know that Volvo were until the other day, I guess that's how they were WLTP compliant before any other brand...
I've had bad experiences with DPF's before but I'm sure this new PPF will be fine... It's not like they'll get clogged up with soot after all.

After 6 years of diesel and I've got a V40 D2 as a courtesy at the moment which I love, I still think I've made the right choice in going petrol
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red