Hard Choices, T5 or T4 with “extras” ?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Pooliepete

Post by Pooliepete »

Hi everyone, I am soon to be a first time Volvo buyer and about to place an order for an Inscription-Pro petrol model but not sure whether to go full-fat T5 with a few extras or stick with a T4 and a even more extras. Question to put out there is, is the extra cost for the T5 worth it over the T4 engine wise or are you better off loading with the tech gizmo’s, appreciating I am asking for what will be subjective views but any feedback is welcome before I sign on the dotted line, my main aim is to stay just below the £40k road tax threshold.

Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

As you said its subjective but what I would say is if you haven't already, have a chat with your local dealer as you can get some extra as (can't remember the title) dealer extras so they don't count to the sale price of the car as theyre not on the original sales invoice.

That's a loop hole I wasn't aware of until my dealer mentioned it
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
isleaiw

Post by isleaiw »

Shaenei wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:51 pm As you said its subjective but what I would say is if you haven't already, have a chat with your local dealer as you can get some extra as (can't remember the title) dealer extras so they don't count to the sale price of the car as theyre not on the original sales invoice.

That's a loop hole I wasn't aware of until my dealer mentioned it
It only officially works if added after first registration....

T4 with extras and then polestar after (assuming they can do a T4..?)
Luigiwhattt

Post by Luigiwhattt »

Dunno difference btw T4 and T5 in terms of performance. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will come along. But if I were to spend my money again on options;

Stuff I have is below but stuff I use; BLIS, 360 camera, remote/press button boot opening, pano (nice but only got the pack for the park assist. Wouldn’t have bothered otherwise)

Stuff I don’t use; park assist

Stuff I wish I had; the convience pack for the draw and the extra sockets. Apple play for the ease of connectivity. Auto head rests simply because I could put them down when my kids are being t**

Have fun pricing everything up. If you want views on a particular feature, ask here. I think everyone o here are a fair and friendly bunch
D3 Auto Inscription - Denim Blue with Blonde Leather - Winter Pack - Xenium Pack - IntelliSafe Pack - Spare Wheel.
Ordered 03/03/18 (Exeter)
Collection 21/07/18
andygou

Post by andygou »

Luigiwhattt wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:48 pm Dunno difference btw T4 and T5 in terms of performance. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will come along. But if I were to spend my money again on options;

Stuff I have is below but stuff I use; BLIS, 360 camera, remote/press button boot opening, pano (nice but only got the pack for the park assist. Wouldn’t have bothered otherwise)

Stuff I don’t use; park assist

Stuff I wish I had; the convience pack for the draw and the extra sockets. Apple play for the ease of connectivity. Auto head rests simply because I could put them down when my kids are being t**

Have fun pricing everything up. If you want views on a particular feature, ask here. I think everyone o here are a fair and friendly bunch
Don't be upset at not having the under-seat drawer - it's so shallow and opens so little I've not found a use for it yet. Anything small enough to fit through the "letterbox" opening - eg a phone - then slides to the back of the drawer and it's too shallow to fish it out easily!
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.
Pooliepete

Post by Pooliepete »

Thanks for the views so far, I guess the main issue for me is how noticeable the power difference is between them. Talk of less than impressive economy versus claims by Volvo doesn’t really bother me, in any case those stats don’t differ greatly between the two. The “options” aren’t game changers and as already detected, subject to very personal views but i’ve past experience of nice to have’s turning into “never used” ! My current car is a Discovery Sport HSE Lux which has all manner of things I never use such as self parking etc, even the panoramic roof isn’t significant as the interior gets too warm without the blind closed. Useful researching the views although appreciating there isn’t a vast amount of experience out there just yet, getting close to make my mind up time !
Morten

Post by Morten »

I have the T5, this together with the D4 was the only “first mover” models in my country.

If I was to procure one today I will have gone for the T4, with FWD—I have not tried the T4 but the car do not call for fast driving—in my opinion the 250HP is not needed, and the T4 will be appx. 15.000GBP cheaper in Denmark 😊

BR Morten
bobsap

Post by bobsap »

In the US most popular are R and Inscription, T 5 AWD

I have an Inscription with all packages available which ran 45k USD before taxes and title etc

Have yet to use the ACC or Pilot but love the 360 camera

Biggest disappointment is the loose steering noted in many reviews
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

bobsap wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:16 pm In the US most popular are R and Inscription, T 5 AWD

I have an Inscription with all packages available which ran 45k USD before taxes and title etc

Have yet to use the ACC or Pilot but love the 360 camera

Biggest disappointment is the loose steering noted in many reviews
Which fuel do people tend to use in the US? You’ve got access to lower RON fuel than we have here (RON 95 being the lowest we can buy), which if used, produces less power, and therefore a more powerful engine might be deemed necessary. Your fuel’s also a lot cheaper than here - at about £5 per US gal in the UK (about $6.50), so car efficiency might be more important here.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
varavital

Post by varavital »

Pooliepete wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:09 pm even the panoramic roof isn’t significant as the interior gets too warm without the blind closed
The blind can close automatically when the car is parked out in the sun, and it starts to get to hot in the car after a few minutes. There is a menu option to toggle this function. Works great! And big difference to the Disco, the roof can open on the XC40 8-) .
I drove both the T5 and T4, had a choice between a T5 First Edition fully equipped, and a T4 composed to my choice, and went for the FWD T4. The power difference isn't big enough to justify the price difference. On the T5 FE there were several items I would never use, so didn't chose for them on my T4.
The road is more important than the destination.