Sports chassis

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Takeo M

Post by Takeo M »

Hello !
I have a question.
Sports chassis is included in the R-design, is this a different thing from FOUR-C which is optional in Inscription?
Inscription has not landed yet in Japan so it is insufficient information. It is said that my Inscription will deliver half a year later.
T5 AWD Inscription / Maple Brown Metarllic

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Takeo M wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:00 pm Hello !
I have a question.
Sports chassis is included in the R-design, is this a different thing from FOUR-C which is optional in Inscription?
Inscription has not landed yet in Japan so it is insufficient information. It is said that my Inscription will deliver half a year later.
Hello Takeo and welcome to the forum.

FOUR-C is the name for the active suspension system, when the driver selects the different drive modes the suspension characteristics change along with various other things like throttle response, steering stiffness etc.
The standard sport suspension on the R-Design is fixed and does not adapt when the various drive modes are selected. It is a stiffer ride compared with the Momentum/Inscription.

Hope that helps.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Takeo M

Post by Takeo M »

Hello Rifleman.
Thank you for a brief and clear explanation.
Looking at the brochure for Japan, FOUR-C is optional for Momentum and Inscription. However, R-design has no setting.
As there is option setting in the brochure for the US, the difference between the R-design's sports chassis and the FOUR-C is not well understood.
It was solved in your explanation.
Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

Hello
My understanding is that the R-Design chassis, is a traditional passive set up, with just a slightly stiffer design; probably slightly stiffer springs; slightly re-rated shock absorbers; and maybe even slightly thicker anti-roll bars (arb), than a the other XC40 trims (momentum/inscription)
The FOUR-C has adaptive/dynamic./active shock absorbers with are connected to a processor controlling the compression/extension response of each shocker independently. These systems use gyroscopes and accelerometers to work out the most appropriate response for each corner of the car; the processor also takes inputs from the steering/brakes/throttle/stability programme etc etc , also it will take inputs from the drivers choice such as comfort/normal/sport/dynamic . I'm guessing the springs/arb are the same as the momentum/inscription cars, as FOUR-C is more about comfort and control than stiffer suspension; and I say this because the reviews I have read regarding the xc40 4C suggest it is a bit softer than an R-deisgn set up.
One the XC60/90 the system also uses an air suspension system to carry the weight, which also gives you height control etc, but not so on the XC40, which use traditional springs to carry the load.
Whilst below is a VW description of their equivalent to 4C, its still useful I think:-
https://www.my-gti.com/2653/volkswagen- ... d-function
T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*
Takeo M

Post by Takeo M »

Hello Chris-croft.

Thank you very much for your theoretical explanation.
In Japan, FOUR-C is an option in most models, and I think that there are probably few vehicles installed. Therefore, the information is very small.

I ordered optional FOUR-C this time. I am looking forward to seeing how it feels.
CorneT

Post by CorneT »

Hi
Did your xc40 arrived?
Would you mind sharing your views on FourC suspension?