Tyres

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ZED

Post by ZED »

Can somebody please tell me whether the standard tyres on an FE are all season or not.
Thanks in advance .

I am still deliberating over whether to go for winter tyres or not. This knowledge will help greatly.

ZED
XC40 D4 FE Polestar Crystal White. Charcoal Interior. 20” Wheels. Ordered 16 March, 2018
Original ETA June 2018 - now end of October 2018

Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

Mines is coming with 20" wheels; If I decide not to do a swap with somebody for 19", I will run Michelin Cross Climate (+) 255/45/20's, they are expensive; I would run them all year round.
I don't think standard UK oem's on an XC40 will be all-season
If I do swap to 19", I will probably run Nokian SUV Weatherproof's 255/50/19

I know these tyre's are slightly wider and slightly taller, but I'm guessing they'll fit fine.

An advantage to me is all-seasons offer better mud traction (M&S -Mud and Snow) rating; better wet/puddles//slush/ice properties; no guessing which week to swap them over, etc etc.

Also for UK use winter tyres are pretty pointless in my opinion; All -Season have a better temperature range for UK use.
If I lived in Finland I might have a different view.
T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*
ZED

Post by ZED »

Chris-croft wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:25 pm Mines is coming with 20" wheels; If I decide not to do a swap with somebody for 19", I will run Michelin Cross Climate (+) 255/45/20's, they are expensive; I would run them all year round.
I don't think standard UK oem's on an XC40 will be all-season
If I do swap to 19", I will probably run Nokian SUV Weatherproof's 255/50/19

I know these tyre's are slightly wider and slightly taller, but I'm guessing they'll fit fine.

An advantage to me is all-seasons offer better mud traction (M&S -Mud and Snow) rating; better wet/puddles//slush/ice properties; no guessing which week to swap them over, etc etc.

Also for UK use winter tyres are pretty pointless in my opinion; All -Season have a better temperature range for UK use.
If I lived in Finland I might have a different view.
Thanks for the info which I found very interesting and has given me food for thought.
Funnily enough, mine was ordered with 19” wheels and somehow 20” is what it is coming with. In a way I am rather pleased as I was having second thoughts anyway. That’s fate I suppose :roll:
Maybe all season is the way to go. What will you do with the original tyres? Will you use and change to all season when worn?

All the best,

ZED
XC40 D4 FE Polestar Crystal White. Charcoal Interior. 20” Wheels. Ordered 16 March, 2018
Original ETA June 2018 - now end of October 2018
kersh

Post by kersh »

Hi Chris, I currently run Nokian Weatherproof on my sportage, 235 50 18 and would like them on my inscription pro when it comes.

Nokian do not do weatherproof in 235 50 19 so I will likely run Michelin Cross climate, trust me these tyres work in any weather well and certainly in any temp below 9 degrees when normal rubber goes stiff
Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

:P I really think top quality All-Season tyres and a Volvo xc40 are a perfect marriage; and it will really add to the utility of the vehicle.

Yes perhaps it wont be quite as grippy in fast dry corners during the summer months; but I suspect All-season tyres adhesion limits will be well in advance of my driving skills

Size wise going from a 245/45/20 to a 255/45/20 is only a 1% increase in gearing & diameter so the car will sit 4mm higher with 4mm less wheel arch gap all round;
235/50/19 to 255/50/19 is a 2.5% increase in gearing & diameter so the car sits 9mm higher.

Whilst I am not qualified to advise anybody regarding this and I haven't even got my XC40 to check; in my experience these slight increase in tyre sizes will not be an issue, and are within general recommendations from most tyre websites. It just gives a bit more choice.

I just keep thinking, given the condition of the B roads around me, going from a 245/45/20 summer to a 255/50/19 all-season = 109mm of side wall rubber to 127mm of side wall rubber (an extra 18mm - 16.3%); probably makes a lot of sense.

I tried to order my FE with 19", but the order system would not let me.

Can't wait to get it, mid October now I think :D
T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*
andyobro

Post by andyobro »

Hi All,

Off to Austria next week for some snow action, so needed some more suitable tires than those supplied, it's a little beyond me that the Xcode range doesn't come with all season tires as standard!

I have used vredestein quatrac 5 on previous cars, they are good value, well spec'ed tires made in Holland. So decided to get a set for the Volvo. I normally buy my tires from www.camskill.co.uk as they offer great prices and service. Unfortunately ey didn't have the standard 235 50 19 size, but they did have stock of the 255 50 19's. So went for those after investigating size difference and clearances.

Had them fitted today, I'm very pleased, actually think they look better than the standard 235's as I always thought they looked a little small. Hope this is of use to someone.

Cheers Andy

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

varavital

Post by varavital »

andyobro wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:00 pm Unfortunately ey didn't have the standard 235 50 19 size, but they did have stock of the 255 50 19's. So went for those after investigating size difference and clearances.
Just be careful with a switch like this. Certainly have an eye on the road legislation in the different European countries you have to pass. In a lot of countries the maximum tyre height of new tyres must be the same as the standard tyres; in others a maximum difference of +/- 2% is allowed. Countries like Germany and Austria are rather strict in this matter.

If you indicate the sizes in a tyre calculator you see that for the indicated sizes you get a difference of 2,79%. If you really want to fit 255 on a 19” rim, you should move to a 255/45-19 which gives a difference of -0,77% (better for the speeds on the speedometer also).

http://www.buggyboys.be/nl/tech_tellerafwijking.htm
https://www.mvwautotechniek.nl/onderste ... ulator.htm
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I suppose normal snow chains (which are obliged to carry with you in Austria) will be a problem too with 255 on a Volvo rim, or you have to choose winter wheels with a bigger offset. On our 20” with 245 tyres, there’s next to no clearance between the tyre and the suspension at the front. Tread chains or external chains are a solution for this problem, but they are much more expensive.

Just something to keep in mind when changing tyres.
The road is more important than the destination.
andyobro

Post by andyobro »

I should have said, please no sermons about doing something outside manufacturers specs. 😂😂😂
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

I'm just going to get though these tyres and then move onto the Michelin CrossClimate SUV which are available in 235/50 R19, not sure on the other wheel sizes. Not the cheapest and not as good as winter tyres but looking at videos on YouTube which compares crossclimate, all season, winter and summer tyres they don't fall too short of the winter/summer where each of those two excel.

To answer your actually question, no the Continental Premium Contact 6 are not all season tyres, they're summer tyres.

For those who are interested, this is one of the videos I watched
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Good video. I’d like to go for the Cross Climates too, but will probably need to convince work unfortunately.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018