Tyres

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
andyobro
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by andyobro » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 am

Just back from Austria, loads of miles in wet weather, we were staying in a place halfway up a very steep mountain with hard parked snow and ice on the road, a go couple of miles up really steep twistes. The tires preformed amazingly, not once any real loss of traction. We used the offroad driving mode on the real ice covered bits. Very impressed with the all season tires and the Volvo 4WD.

No problems with the slightly bigger size, love the look of the bigger profile, makes the whole car look a little beefier.

Cheers Andy


hdasmith
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Location: UK

Re: Tyres

Post by hdasmith » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:20 pm

I'm definitely going to have to look for something. I'm missing FWD on mine having had it on my previous (work requires less than 130g/km). Electric drive and FWD would go up anything even with summer tyres! This skids very quickly when pulling away, even in the dry.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018


Chris-croft
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:17 am

Re: Tyres

Post by Chris-croft » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Just the job, some proper tyres.

I really think XC40's should either come with as standard or the factory option of All-Season tyres; I'm pretty sure they do in North America.
T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*


iainrelliott
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by iainrelliott » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:33 pm

andyobro wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 am
Just back from Austria, loads of miles in wet weather, we were staying in a place halfway up a very steep mountain with hard parked snow and ice on the road, a go couple of miles up really steep twistes. The tires preformed amazingly, not once any real loss of traction. We used the offroad driving mode on the real ice covered bits. Very impressed with the all season tires and the Volvo 4WD.

No problems with the slightly bigger size, love the look of the bigger profile, makes the whole car look a little beefier.

Cheers Andy
Is the Off Road the best driving mode to use when driving in deep snow? I was trying to find something in the manual, but couldn’t see anything.


XC40-Aus
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:42 am

Re: Tyres

Post by XC40-Aus » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:59 am

I have a Volvo XC40 R Edition. It came with 20" wheels and Pirelli P Zero PZ4 245/45R20 103v tyres and they have been a disaster.

I would consider myself a careful driver, however, I have had two issues with the tyres that I believe makes the tyres unsuitable for the car. On both occasions I had to pull over to let a car pass, when I did, I pull over where someone has a drive way, the curb is dropped at that point to about 2" high. I pulled onto the lowered curb slowly but heard a pop. I got out and found my front tyre and burst, a hole in the side of it. I simply could not believe it. Reluctantly, I put to down to some unknown issue, however, on Saturday, same thing happened again, different curb and it blew out another hole, this time in my rear tyre.

There is no way, a tyre should be blowing a hole in the side, especially an SUV, albeit a road type SUV. Going a few kms and bang tyre fails.

I am keen if anyone else has had this issue. Sounds like either a fault with the P Zero tyres and/or just not suitable to the XC40.


aj05
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by aj05 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:37 am

Hi xc40Aus
still waiting for my car but years ago I had exactly the same problem with Pirelli tyres on my 850R. I did not get any sensible answers from tyre suppliers or Volvo soon the recommendation of one of the tyre fitters changed to another brand Kuhmo I think and had no further problems.
I know of a couple of other people who had same problem seems to be a weakness in the wall of Pirelli tyres


hdasmith
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Location: UK

Re: Tyres

Post by hdasmith » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Mine came on Continental’s Premium Contact 6 (or something like that). Haven’t had any such problems.

It’s interesting how they’re being supplied for different markets. Given the US get all season, they’ll be on a different tyre - and one I would rather have had I would guess.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018


morrsn
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by morrsn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:34 pm

XC40-Aus wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:59 am
I have a Volvo XC40 R Edition. It came with 20" wheels and Pirelli P Zero PZ4 245/45R20 103v tyres and they have been a disaster.

I would consider myself a careful driver, however, I have had two issues with the tyres that I believe makes the tyres unsuitable for the car. On both occasions I had to pull over to let a car pass, when I did, I pull over where someone has a drive way, the curb is dropped at that point to about 2" high. I pulled onto the lowered curb slowly but heard a pop. I got out and found my front tyre and burst, a hole in the side of it. I simply could not believe it. Reluctantly, I put to down to some unknown issue, however, on Saturday, same thing happened again, different curb and it blew out another hole, this time in my rear tyre.

There is no way, a tyre should be blowing a hole in the side, especially an SUV, albeit a road type SUV. Going a few kms and bang tyre fails.

I am keen if anyone else has had this issue. Sounds like either a fault with the P Zero tyres and/or just not suitable to the XC40.
Hey,

Have the same tyre/wheel setup with the P zeros and while I havent had them pop yet there is definetly something off about them while going on low curbs at an angle. They feel flimsy and make super weird poping noises to the point I thought I had somehow dented the wheel. No sign of damage to either the wheel or tyre though.

Other complaint is that I find them super noisy, annoying even, over hard concrete to the point I need to raise my voice to be heard at speeds over 60kmh. Yeah, not premium feeling at all.

Thinking about switching them out for some Conti PureContacts see if it improves quality. Not cheap though.


senwar
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by senwar » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Just ordered a full set of cross climates (235/50/19) for mine. Went out in the first batch of snow on Friday and was a little disappointed. I’d been debating for a while so have now taken the plunge.

Funnily enough when I ordered today they were the cheapest I’ve seen them and through Kwik Fit.

Going to keep current contis and just put them back on when I hand the lease car back in just over 2yrs.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels


Oblivion
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by Oblivion » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:07 pm

senwar wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:47 pm
Just ordered a full set of cross climates (235/50/19) for mine. Went out in the first batch of snow on Friday and was a little disappointed. I’d been debating for a while so have now taken the plunge.

Funnily enough when I ordered today they were the cheapest I’ve seen them and through Kwik Fit.

Going to keep current contis and just put them back on when I hand the lease car back in just over 2yrs.
Just be careful with Kwik Fit, they put my tyres on backwards once :o
T5 Inscription Pro, Onyx Black, Blonde interior. Ordered 15th October 2018. Due 26th February 2019.


Post Reply

Return to “Main Volvo XC40 chat”