MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
hdasmith
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Location: UK

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by hdasmith » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:20 pm

Only had a couple of runs on mine, but impressed so far with economy. First, commute home from work, almost all dual carriage way out of Leeds and motorway, 12 miles 46mpg.

Just been out for a spin to see what she’s like on country roads, and opening her up, still managed 44mpg according to the log. Should get some good results on the motorway at the weekend.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018


Mogbat975
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by Mogbat975 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Had my T4 AWd Auto for 6 months now. Last week filled to the brim, drive all week on eco mode. 320 miles.. it's thirsty very very thirsty. Albeit mainly school run which is 18 round trip twice a day then work which is further but mainly motorway. Still it's the thirstiest car I've ever had, our 2.0 TT 2015 is more economical.


Gre
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:49 am

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by Gre » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Mogbat975 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:28 pm
Had my T4 AWd Auto for 6 months now. Last week filled to the brim, drive all week on eco mode. 320 miles.. it's thirsty very very thirsty. Albeit mainly school run which is 18 round trip twice a day then work which is further but mainly motorway. Still it's the thirstiest car I've ever had, our 2.0 TT 2015 is more economical.
You can not compare the size and weight of the TT to the XC 40. Xc40 is a heavier car and espeasily if you have AWD included in your T4. Saying that no doubt it’s not the most economical engine but not very very thirsty one.
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.


hdasmith
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Location: UK

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by hdasmith » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Managed 61.4mpg on my first long trip. Really impressed with that given it’s a giant brick. Nearly getting the same sort of economy as my 2010 A3!
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018


Davidrosey
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:25 am

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by Davidrosey » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:44 am

Shocking shocking. Xc40 r design T4 awd brochure said 40.9 .... don't laugh I'm getting 21.5 I am furious. Based decision to buy car on mpg. Volvo told me I'm a bad driver. Not sure what that meant am I supposed to drive in oncoming lane smashing other cars so that I don't have to stop start. Not taking this lying down. They downright lied and misrepresented their mpg. I have stopped other drivers similar cars all said same thing. Shocking mpg nothing near what was in brochure. I use eco setting and yes short distance stop start kids to school. Probably 6 mile round trip. I have a 911 c2 cabriolet that gets vastly better mpg than the volvo. I am appalled at volvo response. Gross misrepresentation and yet to hear what they plan to do. I will speak to motor ombudsman but TBH I want to hand back to them. I am extremely disappointed. Not to mention the terrible satnav set to show traffic but does no such thing. As things stand would not touch a volvo again. Hugely disappointed. Thoughts and comments welcome


PC40
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by PC40 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:39 am

I agree that that the economy is not as good as promised, but having done 8500 miles I have a mpg figure of 32.4. This covers al types of roads including country lanes, dual carriageways and busy town centres together with occasional motorway trips when I feel like braving the M25 😟. This was higher a month ago before the weather turned colder.
This is no worse than my previous awd 2.5 non turbo Subaru Legacy. A car which was lighter and less powerful.
A 200 mile motorway trip last month achieved 40.9 for the trip.
The car certainly suffers in heavy traffic but if you can keep it creeping slowly rather than coming to continual stops this does help the economy.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018


PC40
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by PC40 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:43 am

PC40 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:39 am
I agree that that the economy is not as good as promised, but having done 8500 miles I have a mpg figure of 32.4. This covers al types of roads including country lanes, dual carriageways and busy town centres together with occasional motorway trips when I feel like braving the M25 😟. This was higher a month ago before the weather turned colder.
This is no worse than my previous awd 2.5 non turbo Subaru Legacy. A car which was lighter and less powerful.
A 200 mile motorway trip last month achieved 40.9 for the trip.
The car certainly suffers in heavy traffic but if you can keep it creeping slowly rather than coming to continual stops this does help the economy.
Forgot to say, I usually use ECO mode.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018


hdasmith
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Location: UK

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by hdasmith » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:15 am

Davidrosey wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:44 am
Shocking shocking. Xc40 r design T4 awd brochure said 40.9 .... don't laugh I'm getting 21.5 I am furious. Based decision to buy car on mpg. Volvo told me I'm a bad driver. Not sure what that meant am I supposed to drive in oncoming lane smashing other cars so that I don't have to stop start. Not taking this lying down. They downright lied and misrepresented their mpg. I have stopped other drivers similar cars all said same thing. Shocking mpg nothing near what was in brochure. I use eco setting and yes short distance stop start kids to school. Probably 6 mile round trip. I have a 911 c2 cabriolet that gets vastly better mpg than the volvo. I am appalled at volvo response. Gross misrepresentation and yet to hear what they plan to do. I will speak to motor ombudsman but TBH I want to hand back to them. I am extremely disappointed. Not to mention the terrible satnav set to show traffic but does no such thing. As things stand would not touch a volvo again. Hugely disappointed. Thoughts and comments welcome
Hi David, given your mileage profile, I would have looked at urban result rather than combined - 32.1mpg according to the configurator. That’s also based on something like a 15 mile run, I believe, rather than your 6 miles. I doubt you’re barely letting the engine warm up, let alone get to efficiency.

Also, if you’re in heavy stop-start traffic, try switching off auto-stop. If the engine’s shutting down for a second or two before you move off again, it’ll be drinking far more than letting it run for a little more.

For my car, the advertised is 57.6mpg combined cycle, 62.8mpg ex-urban. Over 1,510 miles, I’m averaging 51.3mpg, with a highest value of 62.7mpg. For commutes, I get about 47 ish, against advertised 51. I’m quite impressed with the figures Volvo gave.

http://wltpfacts.eu/what-is-wltp-how-will-it-work/
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018


ACertainAge
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by ACertainAge » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:10 am

On my D3 with 1600 miles, the computer says 48.3mph, in comfort mode. Try to always disable the stop/start but get really mad when I don't and it comes into play.


q3billy
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:55 pm
Location: East Sussex

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by q3billy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Getting 29.2mpg at the moment with my T3. Averaged 40mpg yesterday on a 15 mile drive through town, country lanes and dual carriageways.
I'm hoping it improves over time I've only done 500 miles at the moment.
I use start stop when I can, when I don't want to use it I just keep my foot on the clutch. It's a lot slower than the start stop on the V40, I liked that because the engine turned off when I got to 3mph... My XC40 waits for me to come to a full stop which is annoying.
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Delivered 19/11/18


Post Reply

Return to “Main Volvo XC40 chat”