MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Luigiwhattt
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by Luigiwhattt » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:21 pm

D3 here. Auto. Comfort mode mainly. Eco when I remember (hardly ever and when I do mid journey, it’s like Grandpa mode).

Calculated that currently doing 30mpg based on car showing 430 miles capacity when fill up and a 14 gallon tank. Not exact but not the type of person to let a fuel tank go below quarter. Dash is showing 40 mpg.

Mainly local journeys with motorway miles daily of 10 miles at around 65 (‘cause I can ‘cause I’m driving a Volvo). 1500 miles so far.

Volvo people tell me that should improve and be steady at around 3000 miles.

I’ve gone from an 80 mpg car to this. mpg was always going to be key issue for me and I thought that the advertised rates were ok.

It is a current moan of mine (along with judgy car lane keeping) but I would not get rid because of it plus suspect frequent visits to fuel station are down to driving it more than previous car (2 door ds3) - particularly weekends. My previous car was the “second car” but xc40 is now the main car.
D3 Auto Inscription - Denim Blue with Blonde Leather - Winter Pack - Xenium Pack - IntelliSafe Pack - Spare Wheel.
Ordered 03/03/18 (Exeter)
Collection 21/07/18


Db55
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:24 am

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by Db55 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:28 pm

Took mine out for its first drive today, mainly A roads with some B’s. only about 40 miles . Computer was showing 26. 4 mpg but was driving it very conservatively, happy with that . Going to “run it in” for the first 1000 miles so don’t expect to much improvement on those figures also put premium fuel in so might get a slightly higher return. For those interested I will keep you updated. Oh and by the way I love the car even though I’m a bit of a computer dinosaur, prepared to work at it !.
T5 FE, osmium grey


lhaldy
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by lhaldy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:01 pm

I hope you are right! I am approaching 2000 miles and the car shows an avg of 22.2 (USA) which is not good. I sure hope it improves because I thought I would get better gas mileage judging by what the MPG was supposed to be according to the specs. And the worst part is that it requires premium gas so that is a double whammy!


Luigiwhattt
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by Luigiwhattt » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:01 am

It’s not that i’m going to give up the car but I have the broucher (?) and it says ”58.9 combined” for an Inscription D3 auto. If the car isn’t getting that or close after 3000 miles I am going to take it further cause I did base my car buying on that.
D3 Auto Inscription - Denim Blue with Blonde Leather - Winter Pack - Xenium Pack - IntelliSafe Pack - Spare Wheel.
Ordered 03/03/18 (Exeter)
Collection 21/07/18


Cholsey
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:27 pm

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by Cholsey » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:34 am

Luigiwhattt wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:21 pm
D3 here. Auto. Comfort mode mainly. Eco when I remember (hardly ever and when I do mid journey, it’s like Grandpa mode).

Calculated that currently doing 30mpg based on car showing 430 miles capacity when fill up and a 14 gallon tank. Not exact but not the type of person to let a fuel tank go below quarter. Dash is showing 40 mpg.

Mainly local journeys with motorway miles daily of 10 miles at around 65 (‘cause I can ‘cause I’m driving a Volvo). 1500 miles so far.

Volvo people tell me that should improve and be steady at around 3000 miles.

I’ve gone from an 80 mpg car to this. mpg was always going to be key issue for me and I thought that the advertised rates were ok.

It is a current moan of mine (along with judgy car lane keeping) but I would not get rid because of it plus suspect frequent visits to fuel station are down to driving it more than previous car (2 door ds3) - particularly weekends. My previous car was the “second car” but xc40 is now the main car.
Hi - the 14 gallon tank refers to US gallons. The fuel tank is actually 54 litres or about 11.8 imperial gallons. Should improve your figures :-)
XC40 T5 FE; Bright Silver; 20” Alloys; Power Folding Tow-bar.
Ordered 19 Jan; Delivered 01 May


isleaiw
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by isleaiw » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Luigiwhattt wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:01 am
It’s not that i’m going to give up the car but I have the broucher (?) and it says ”58.9 combined” for an Inscription D3 auto. If the car isn’t getting that or close after 3000 miles I am going to take it further cause I did base my car buying on that.
Good luck with that. Official figures are in laboratory conditions and just allow a consumer to compare cars tested to same rules. Nowhere does it say you will get that in real world.

I would have thought 40mpg average would be thereabouts given your usage and type of car.


Christoph99
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:17 am
Location: Belgium (UK national)

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by Christoph99 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi again, cheers for the feedback. I've switched to using eco driving mode all the time now and so my average has improved for that reason, but I can see that mpg also improved over time for (almost?) everyone here so I'm going to have to be patient. I think the numbers displayed are part of my problem: the numbers are pretty high, especially when moving off, which causes concern. However, if I look at the distance driven and the amount of fuel used from the tank, I would guestimate the mpg to be better than the vehicle displays. Time will tell.


User avatar
be0ne
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by be0ne » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:32 pm

Quick feedback on my T3, almost 550 miles and the average MPG is 36,7. It's better than what I expected :)
XC40 T3 R-Design (+packs & options) ordered in March - delivered August.


01142007
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by 01142007 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:12 pm

be0ne wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:32 pm
Quick feedback on my T3, almost 550 miles and the average MPG is 36,7. It's better than what I expected :)
Thats good to hear as i pick my T3 manual up on Monday, at the moment i get 50+ from my V40 D3


Telboy
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm
Location: Bournemouth

Re: MPG - Again :-)

Post by Telboy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:43 pm

T5 FE update, with Polestar.

Over the past 4240 miles (car now on 6500 miles), my calculated fuel use is coming in at 34mpg, not too far off Volvos claim (87%). It is ever so slightly improving. Pretty impressed with this to be honest.

My journey types are 40% town, 60% dual carriageway/motorway. Hope this helps.
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D


Post Reply

Return to “Main Volvo XC40 chat”