MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

True MPG
My XC40 is a T3 Auto. For two similar trips I have noted the MPG figures displayed in the car and on the MyVolvo App. I’ve then compared them with the values obtained from distance travelled between refills, which I believe to be quite accurate. I routinely use Shell V-Power petrol and usually drive in Comfort mode.

The first trip was a total of 175 miles, about 120 on 70mph roads, 50 on 40/60mph roads and about 5 miles urban. The driver display showed 44mpg and the average from the App data was 45mpg. The true value from re-fuelling was 41mpg.
The second trip was a total of 250 miles, about 180 on 70mph roads, 60 on 40/60mph roads and 10 on urban roads. The driver display showed 44mpg again and the average from the App data was 46mpg. The re-fuelling ‘true’ value was, again, 41mpg.

It is interesting that there is good agreement between the App and the driver display, but both are about 10% optimistic. Interestingly, the official WLTP figure for this T3 engine at these road speeds is about the same as the 41mpg I have obtained.

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

WelshRobin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:57 pm True MPG
My XC40 is a T3 Auto. For two similar trips I have noted the MPG figures displayed in the car and on the MyVolvo App. I’ve then compared them with the values obtained from distance travelled between refills, which I believe to be quite accurate. I routinely use Shell V-Power petrol and usually drive in Comfort mode.

The first trip was a total of 175 miles, about 120 on 70mph roads, 50 on 40/60mph roads and about 5 miles urban. The driver display showed 44mpg and the average from the App data was 45mpg. The true value from re-fuelling was 41mpg.
The second trip was a total of 250 miles, about 180 on 70mph roads, 60 on 40/60mph roads and 10 on urban roads. The driver display showed 44mpg again and the average from the App data was 46mpg. The re-fuelling ‘true’ value was, again, 41mpg.

It is interesting that there is good agreement between the App and the driver display, but both are about 10% optimistic. Interestingly, the official WLTP figure for this T3 engine at these road speeds is about the same as the 41mpg I have obtained.
Well if your looking save money I’d stop buying V Power petrol!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Nat Ionalbusco

Post by Nat Ionalbusco »

WelshRobin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:57 pm True MPG

On older cars, where I could see the actual level of petrol in the filler tube I sometimes did a assessment based on fill to fill.

With the Volvo system where you can't actually see the fill level and are relying on the autoswitch off of the pump how are you measuring fill to fill? Surely not with the autoswitch off means?

I'd rely instead on the in car system, after all a modern fuel delivery system is very accurate - much more than an old style carburettor.
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

Wouldn't waste my money putting in V-Power petrol. If you want that type of fuel then Tesco Momentum is just as good.
V-Power petrol is mainly for high performance cars e.g.. Merc AMG , BMW MPower, etc. Stick to normal petrol for the Volvo.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I understand the point made by Nat and I would not have placed much reliance on just one test, but the results from two similar tests are so close that I think they are reliable. I am indeed using the point at which the delivery pump cuts out but I don't think a discrepancy of 10% can come from this. My previous V40 with the T2 engine gave a similar difference. Does anyone know how the vehicle figures are computed?
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I don’t get this whole working out what MPG you are getting
What are you going to do about it if you don’t like the results you get 🤷‍♂️
Just drive the vehicle and enjoy it
Pawelle

Post by Pawelle »

Yeah, and all that noise from underneath the car. Who cares if it's the exhaust hanging off, just ignore, and keep on driving.

While day to day MPG is of no consequence to me, a sudden rise in fuel use could signify a problem.
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

I think with the T5s we get and were expecting pretty laughable MPG. It sounds like the T3s or diesels or whatever are not getting what they were quotes and some are a way off so I think it's reasonable to ask. Its a big heavy car and I think they've stitched us all up on the quoted figures. the T5 I think is quoted at 37.2 - 32 mpg (combined) which is bollocks. I can get mine close to 40 I think if I start the counter as I enter the motorway and maintain about 60 for a few hours.
But the 32 is nonsense. I think I'm on 28 at the moment
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

The D4 and T4 are some of the worst offenders in What Car's comparison of true mpg versus official figures. Unless you do a very high mileage it's a fairly unimportant statistic as depreciation is by far the biggest cost of car ownership from new/nearly new. So far, the XC40 seems good in that regards.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/true-mpg-w ... y/n21535#7
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Pawelle wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:43 pm Yeah, and all that noise from underneath the car. Who cares if it's the exhaust hanging off, just ignore, and keep on driving.

While day to day MPG is of no consequence to me, a sudden rise in fuel use could signify a problem.
Well be content with the MPG the car provides then. (That was my point)