MPG - Again :-)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
michael123

Post by michael123 »

I have the car for merely a week,
The dash shows whopping 14 liters per 100 km, which is 20 mpg

I indeed drove very little, but mainly in the city traffic.

Comparing to my other car, a mini cooper, that's twice as more gas

lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

michael123 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:27 am I have the car for merely a week,

T3?

When I test drove a T3 I did the daily routine (from house to school and back). Got 13l/100km :) and that was without the frequent traffic jam..

The dealer said it would do around 9,5l/100km once “it settles”.

Other people are reporting exactly the ~ 9 10l/km the dealer told me.
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

up to and maintaining 29.4 mpg now in my T5 post a long steady drive to the south coast from London. Feeling a bit better now. My 3 ltr BMW diesel convertible only did 32mpg until I had the engine remapped (then 38). I might reset the counter completely in the volvo to see where it is now its hitting 5k miles
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD
michael123

Post by michael123 »

lfpcorreia wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:16 am
michael123 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:27 am I have the car for merely a week,

T3?

When I test drove a T3 I did the daily routine (from house to school and back). Got 13l/100km :) and that was without the frequent traffic jam..

The dealer said it would do around 9,5l/100km once “it settles”.

Other people are reporting exactly the ~ 9 10l/km the dealer told me.
T4 FWD
Yep, when "it settles". Hmm. When?
It is not about the readings, but the actual pump, as I see at the gas station.

Driving in the 'comfort' mode
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Did a run of around a 100 miles yesterday, mixture of dual carriageway, A and B roads. Got an average of just under 40 mpg which I'm pleased with from a T4. Didn't buy it for low fuel consumption but I'm not complaining!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
grl

Post by grl »

Boxybutgood wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:14 am The other problem with DPFs is engine oil being diluted with fuel, particularly when regenerations only partially complete or when 'active' regenerations are triggered. Some makes/models are worse than others. I became aware of the problem on my diesel Range Rover, hence my purchase of a petrol XC40. Google something like' DPF oil dilution' and you will be forever wary of diesels!
I sadly have just come across this with volvo. It seems they are all "brainwashed that this is acceptable. Don't get me wrong i know this happens in all engines but having had BMW diesels for the last 20 or so years but i have NEVER come across this to the degree it alters the oil level (AND the BMW service interval is twice as long as volvo - 2 year oil service interval!).

Loving the car but absolutely shocking MPG and seemingly poor engineering when it comes to engine and gearbox :-(
XC40 D4 AWD - First Edition - Crystal White
Klanky

Post by Klanky »

I've had mine for 3 months now and done about 4000 miles.

Round town and one shorter journeys I'm getting about 43-44 mpg.

On longer mainly motorway trips I'm getting up to 52 mpg.

I expect that this will improve as the engine loosens up and the weather improves. That said, I do tend to drive sensibly and generally stick to speed limits.

[D3 Momentum Pro manual]
Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

We have had our car for 3 months now, and have done about 2500 miles.
The car is averaging 32.8mpg, which is what I was roughly expecting to be honest from the 2.0l t4 petrol.
We have just been to Wales for the weekend, and on the 200 mile drive home to the east coast today, I got 44.2mpg, this was in eco mode and mainly sticking the car in cruise control at 70mph, reasonably happy with that.
Best figures on a drive so far were while we were away this weekend - 49.2mpg on a 16 mile journey back to our accommodation, but....... this was mainly a downhill journey from the top of one of the Welsh mountains.
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.
jac830

Post by jac830 »

I’ve had my T4 AWD for around 7 months now, and 16,500 miles in, I’m averaging 33/4mpg, mainly over a mixture of Motorways, Country lanes and City... with a not so light right foot and cruising at around 80 - 95 mph on the motorway depending on traffic.

When driving specifically around town I’m only getting around 23 - 25 mpg.
I ordered my car this time last year (only Petrol and Diesel options available then) and tbh a T5 Plug - In would have been perfect for my needs, but whatever - I still LOVE my XC40.
2019 XC40 R-Design Pro, Fusion Red, Xenium Pack, Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate, Harman/Kardon Premium Sound, 21” Alloys
DB2k

Post by DB2k »

Surprised at the difference from T4 to T5. My display average is around 28 at the moment. Obviously with a lot of motorway it goes up but I didn't reset it for Cornwall the other day. I certainly don't think my general work commute, probably having 20-30 miles of motorways is getting anywhere near 33mpg
Maybe I'll reset it again and see
XC40 R-Design Pro T5 AWD